Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

25 million miles?

25 million miles?

Old Jul 31, 2003, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cAAl:

if you are on a three-across section of middle seats (as on a 767), your legroom likely will be less than in business unless you can find a way to stick your legs out into the aisle without getting bumped (and waking you up) or impeding the flow of passengers, flight attendants, and carts.</font>
As posted my neighbour was flying UA to SFO. That is a direct 747 service and the 747 centre row of course gives you PLENTY of room to lay down flat. He was only about 5'6" so that also would have helped I guess. He said he far preferred that sleep than the front cabins. Go figger.

Old Aug 1, 2003, 2:06 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Bookexp:
A simple math.
They guy says he gets his miles mostly from flying, assuming he flies first class with EXP status at AA.
A round trip Chicago to Rome will award him 25,000 miles, counting 50% class and 100% EXP bonuses. He only needs to fly 40 round trips a year, which is reasonable.
</font>
Don't forget that until recently cashing in earned stickers (which an EXP flying only paid F internationally would never use otherwise) would have added another 10K to that total, so less than 30 Chicago - Rome RTs (a little more than twice a month) could put someone at a million miles earned that year from travel alone.

Old Aug 1, 2003, 8:26 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ejmelton:
"I was once dissappointed that I didn't get an upgrade, then I saw a homeless man without shoes. Somehow, the upgrade didn't seem all that important." </font>
just trying to figure out what your point is here ; if we all fly coach , that will warm his feet ?

[This message has been edited by sunseeker (edited 08-01-2003).]
Old Aug 1, 2003, 9:01 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mashav:
Don't forget that until recently cashing in earned stickers (which an EXP flying only paid F internationally would never use otherwise) would have added another 10K to that total, so less than 30 Chicago - Rome RTs (a little more than twice a month) could put someone at a million miles earned that year from travel alone.

</font>

I believe the focus is on FLOWN miles (butt-in seat miles) per year.

You can earn a million miles in 5 minutes with one huge credit card charge.
Old Aug 2, 2003, 4:22 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold

[This message has been edited by Hagbard Viking (edited 08-02-2003).]
Old Aug 2, 2003, 7:32 pm

Location: Midwest United States (and anywhere a cheap fare takes me)
Programs: Marriott (Gold), Hilton (Gold), SWA (CP), Hertz (5*), UA (Nobody), AA (Lifetime Gold)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sunseeker:
just trying to figure out what your point is here ; if we all fly coach , that will warm his feet ?

[This message has been edited by sunseeker (edited 08-01-2003).]
</font>

No, I think that we all get a little too tied up in winning the "game" (whatever that may be) and forget that many people out there don't even get to play the game. For me, my signiture is a subtle reminder that there are things more important than what I say on this board. (That little sermonette took us WAY off the topic.)

Reverend Edward J. Melton
Holy Cross Church
Old Aug 2, 2003, 8:27 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cAAl:
I have never understood those who profess that a block of coach seats is preferable for sleeping to a business class seat. Yeah, you can lie flat but one arm will be deprived of stretching room due to the seatbacks (as opposed to having two armrest and space as in business) and the armrests (even when retracted as far as possible) and seat belt assembies jab at your side and back. And if you are on a three-across section of middle seats (as on a 767), your legroom likely will be less than in business unless you can find a way to stick your legs out into the aisle without getting bumped (and waking you up) or impeding the flow of passengers, flight attendants, and carts.</font>
I dunno either...but then again, I can sleep on my own in a single Y seat (I'm small enough that I don't have any problem fitting decently well). My dad is 6'2" and related the story to me using 4 seats (I guess a 2-4-2 config) in Y. I think the difficulty for some people is the choice between flat on their side or lounged in the larger C seat but required to be on their back and not flat. That's going to end up being a personal preference.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 11:38 am

Well this is an interesting and heated discussion...

I can see that the general populace is extremely skeptical of a FFers ability to earn such excessive quantities of miles by flying alone, but I must relate my own experiences..

I started flying with American Airlines in 1993, while still living in London, by 2001 I had a lifetime total of some 350000 miles and a current balance around the 100k mark.. Very irregular travel, usually short hops from NYC to DFW or DTW and suchlike..

Just after 11-sep-01 I began travelling extensively, made exec plat for the first time in late 2002 and passed 1m lifetime miles earlier this year..
In other words, just by doing my regular 'commuter' flights from places like JFK-SEA / LGA-DFW / JFK-BRU no more than once a week I've accumulated more than 100000 FLOWN miles per year, over 600000 earned miles in under 2 years.

My travel is nothing special and many people here exceed my meager travel schedule week after week, so I find it eminently believable that there are million-a-year flyers out there... heck I've done 150000 this year purely domestically (ISP-BOS-SEA or JFK-SEA)

Please bear in mind that some people, particularly antipodeans will accrue huge balances with relatively few flights..

Happy flying and remember miles are for SPENDING (I spent this years accrual already )
Old Aug 22, 2005, 11:25 am

Location: Baltimore - Hyatt Lifetime Diamond/Courtesy Card, UA 2M
Originally Posted by ozstamps
When B Watson takes time to point out not only he but at least THREE of his staff each do not only 700,000 but some 800,000 flown miles a year - you then back-track. You deny you ever said this was impossible or a lie or untrue, and add to the VERY deep hole saying you don't believe the (previously documented fact here) very TOP Qantas flier worldwide does only 20% more than several of B Watson's staffers.
Hmm, I wonder if we can put the urban legend of a million mile/year BIS flyer to rest now as well...

Last edited by divaof travel; Aug 22, 2005 at 1:32 pm
Old Aug 22, 2005, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
A legend in his own mind.

But very much real to a quite a lot of creditors.

Last edited by cactuspete; Aug 22, 2005 at 12:00 pm
Old Aug 22, 2005, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
25 million mylez, eh?

Boy, that's a WHOLE lotta gift cards!

(Hey I have like only 25 mile in US Air right now. Not 25m. That's a lot of mylez!)

MM
Old Aug 22, 2005, 12:10 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, DL Diamond 2MM, PriorityPass, Hilton Honors Silver
Well, I got a NW logoed Waterman Pen, a brass luggage tag and a thank you note for BIS 1 million+ miles. They said my name has too many letters and they are in a cash crunch... otherwise that CRJ would have been SPC354 by now!
Old Aug 22, 2005, 1:29 pm

Location: Baltimore - Hyatt Lifetime Diamond/Courtesy Card, UA 2M
duplicate

Last edited by divaof travel; Aug 22, 2005 at 1:31 pm Reason: duplicate
Old Aug 22, 2005, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by divaof travel
duplicate
yes, it WOULD be nice to DUPLICATE the world series win last year!
MM
Old Aug 22, 2005, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
yes, it WOULD be nice to DUPLICATE the world series win last year!
MM
Ain't happening. The Cards are going all the way, and we're doing it with the AAA team due to injuries to Scotty, Larry, Reggie, Grudzielanek, more surgery to Mike Lincoln, etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.