25 million miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

25 million miles?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2003, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Typical NBC GE monopoly with the disgusting overpaid Katie Couric and Matt Laurer. They should be fired immediately and give someone else a go, they have enough money now and too much of the equity in speech.

The reason? One of the highest FF mile accounts happens to be one of MSNBCs employees.....Jessie "The Brain" Ventura. He travelled extensively as a wrestler and announcer (then Jessie "The Body" Ventura) and none of them have expired.

Leave it to overpaid NBC blind mice to miss it. Plagerists too when they find out it is Ventura.

SHADO

[This message has been edited by SHADO (edited 07-29-2003).]
Old Jul 29, 2003, 4:40 pm

Location: Baltimore - Hyatt Lifetime Diamond/Courtesy Card, UA 2M
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ozstamps:
Qantas top flier does well over a million paid actual miles a year. All in It'l F, so I assume his balance each year is several M before any credit card points/hotel miles etc charges are added.

Flyertalker moderator B_Watson does around 700,000 paid miles in It'l F or C he told me. So a 25M balance out there from someone would not surprise me one bit.

</font>

I don't believe that for a minute. An urban legend for frequent flyers. This is much more than 2749 miles per day, every day of the year. No time to do anything when you land.

------------------
United UGS, MM
Hyatt Lifetime Diamond
Starwood Platimun
Old Jul 29, 2003, 4:45 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by burgerwars:
Something tells me their miles were earned from more than flying coach. Otherwise, if they earned 25,000,000 miles over 25 years, that's about 2,739 miles per day with no days off. Geesh, if that was the case, they wouldn't need a house to live in, since there would be little time in their lives to be out of an airplane.

</font>
No way have they earned 25MM flying.

The frequent flyer programs only began in 1981. So if this guy has flown every day since the inception with triple miles, that is still 1038 miles every day since 1981. There is some serious affinity spending here.

I worked with somebody who earned hundreds of thousands of AMEX points by charging tradeshow expenses, etc. to the corporate card. It would be easy to rack up millions this way if the job is right.

By the way, Gary Player claims to have flown more than anybody in the world with about 13M flight miles since around 1960.

------------------
United UGS, MM
Hyatt Lifetime Diamond
Starwood Platimun
Old Jul 29, 2003, 4:52 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by divaof travel:

I don't believe that for a minute. An urban legend for frequent flyers. This is much more than 2749 miles per day, every day of the year. No time to do anything when you land.

</font>
I agree. Over a million FLOWN miles a year can't be right. 2739 miles a day, each and every day....no way.
Old Jul 29, 2003, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
There's a guy with a 20 million mile balance in Qantas.

Randy has been said to have over 10mm miles himself.

So I actually don't doubt the individual in question could have 25 million miles. The skepticism is solely over flight miles. I'm told by someone who suggests that they would know that he in fact does have over 24 million miles with AA -- but that includes credit card spending...

------------------
View from the Wing: A blog about Free Miles and Free Markets
Old Jul 29, 2003, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by divaof travel:

</font>
It is an established fact.

The guy is in executive recruitment and flies round trip to Europe and USA virtually every week - sometimes more than once a week to interview and/or head hunt applicants for top jobs.

Get your atlas out and look where Australia is and you will possibly not make such a un-informed comment again. On last Saturday for instance I flew about 10,000 miles in a day from IAD-LAX-SYD. Round trip it is around 20,000 miles and can be done in 48 hours. Europe is further.

Ask our own B_Watson whether his annual flying is an "Urban Myth".
Old Jul 29, 2003, 8:12 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ozstamps:

The guy is in executive recruitment and flies round trip to Europe and USA virtually every week - sometimes more than once a week to interview and/or head hunt applicants for top jobs.

Get your atlas out and look where Australia is and you will possibly not make such a un-informed comment again.
</font>
Glen, can you reference a link to this ?

Also, I find your "uninformed comment" a little harsh, you post an extremely hard to believe fact and get upset if someone questions it ?

Assuming its true, why on earth would anyone do this ? All major exec. recruitment companies have global offices, nobody in their right mind would fly across the globe every week, I am aware of "commuting" btween NYC and LHR, but Oz to Europe is a completley different story....no matter how comfortable F is, the jetlag will still destroy you after a while.

Old Jul 29, 2003, 9:46 pm

Get your atlas out and look where Australia is and you will possibly not make such a un-informed comment again. On last Saturday for instance I flew about 10,000 miles in a day from IAD-LAX-SYD. Round trip it is around 20,000 miles and can be done in 48 hours. Europe is further.

Ask our own B_Watson whether his annual flying is an "Urban Myth".
</font>
I know where Australia is, and I've been there many times. (Crap place, in my opinion.)

I still don't believe you or B. Watson. Sure it is possible, but who would be so stupid?

------------------
United UGS, MM
Hyatt Lifetime Diamond
Starwood Platimun
Old Jul 29, 2003, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know where Australia is, and I've been there many times. (Crap place, in my opinion.)

I still don't believe you or B. Watson. Sure it is possible, but who would be so stupid?

</font>
Just preserving this gem for posterity.

Old Jul 29, 2003, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JohnG:

Glen, can you reference a link to this ?

</font>
There have been MANY threads on this and similar subjects in this forum over the years. IIRC someone posted that the head guy of Lions or Rotary clocked up an equally amazing number of miles. A check via "search" will I am sure find some previous references if you are interested.

I can recall reading of several FT'ers who do or have done around or above 500,000 flown paid miles a year. stimpy and CescoG are 2 others that come immediately to mind and I recall reading Merry has also clocked up telephone numbers some years. As long as it is being done in sleeper First on 747s it is not especially hard to take I bet.

The jeg lag is not bad if you sleep correctly on planes. I got back this Monday 7am from IAD-LAX-SYD, stayed up all day and went to sleep that evening here at a normal time and I feel fine. That is about 24 hours on planes and in airports, after I was up all day in IAD. Decent seats and long sleeps in flight are the keys.

Oh, and Temazepan is essential.

----------------------------------------------------------

[This message has been edited by ozstamps (edited 08-04-2003).]
Old Jul 29, 2003, 11:05 pm

There have been MANY threads on this and similar subjects in this forum over the years. IIRC someone posted that the head guy of Lions or Rotary clocked up an equally amazing number of miles. A check via "search" will I am sure find some previous references if you are interested.

I know of several FT'ers who do or have done around or above 500,000 flown miles a year. stimpy and cescog are 2 others that come immediately to mind and I recall reading Markie has also clocked up telephone numbers some years. As long as it is being done in sleeper First on 747s it is not too hard to take I bet.

The jeg lag is not bad if you sleep correctly on planes. I got back this Monday 7am from IAD-LAX-SYD, stayed up all day and went to sleep that evening here at a normal time and I feel fine. That is about 24 hours on planes and in airports, after I was up all day in IAD. Decent seats and long sleeps in flight are the keys.

Oh, and Temazepan is essential.
</font>
I don't doubt some folks are flying 500 kmiles/yr. But this is a far cry from "well over 1 million." I'll get out my atlas to calculate the difference.
Old Jul 29, 2003, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

divaof travel - I found this on a search where FT'ers like fparker was clocking up 250,000 miles a year just on domestic USA and much of it was on small planes IIRC.

Even some folks on FT exceed 500,000 miles flown a year but you do not seem to believe that. Once you have been around here as a FT member a little more than 2 weeks you might be less inclined to label heavy FT fliers like B_Watson's annual travel tally an "urban legend."

A flight a week from here to London gets you well over a million flown miles a year and allows a month's vacation as well. I do not care one jot if your calculator cannot figger that out.

For such folks flying IS basically their job. An interview may only take a few hours and the guy returns. A two day work week on that basis, which does allow some sleep time if needs be.
Old Jul 29, 2003, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Back to the specific thread topic, I found this comment that Randy made a couple of years back on a post about a guy with 2.1 million miles on LH. Randy was himself using years old figures so one assumes these numbers have leapt up significantly in the intervening years, so 25 million in one plan does not surprise me at all, and I can bet there are others that would exceed that:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">

Originally posted by Randy Petersen:

In research a few years back, I calculated that there are over 107,000 people who have earned at least one million miles in a particular frequent flyer program.

Delta I beleive has just over 20,000 such members and you can guess that AA/UA have substantially more than that given the alliance picture they were into first.
2.1 million, my guess is that there are at least 32,000 such people out there ......

</font>
Old Jul 30, 2003, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know where Australia is, and I've been there many times. (Crap place, in my opinion.)</font>

Old Jul 30, 2003, 6:30 am

As inserted above by the modrator:

Flyertalker moderator B_Watson does around 700,000 paid miles in It'l F or C he told me. So a 25M balance out there from someone would not surprise me one bit.

"Around 700,000" is more believable than "well over a million paid actual miles a year," as claimed.

BTW, if you read the thread the issue became not whether people have accrued 25MM, but if they have done this through flight activity alone.

------------------
United UGS, MM
Hyatt Lifetime Diamond
Starwood Platimun

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.