Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Input? how much time do callers to various frequent flyer programs spend on hold?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Input? how much time do callers to various frequent flyer programs spend on hold?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2003, 5:24 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk
Original Poster

Are hold times getting better or worse, do you know?

Given that we see a constant shifting of staff with airlines and thus their frequent flyer programs, Wondering what has been your experience with the customer service end of things for frequent flyer service centers. What percentage of contact you've ****ed to email vs. just calling the service centers and if you've noticed an increase or decrease in "hold" time over the last year or so.

And of course, which programs are better or worse at this. Not to exclude the time it takes to get an email answered back from a program (24 hours seems like a "long" hold time huh?)

Any experiences or opinions to share with me?
Old Jul 2, 2003, 5:44 pm

Forgive me, but isn't this thread quite aways off topic, not having anything to do with FF "miles"?
Old Jul 2, 2003, 5:49 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ken hAAmer:
Forgive me, but isn't this thread quite aways off topic, not having anything to do with FF "miles"?</font>
LOL. Moderator?

I have no trouble getting an operator in &lt;1 minute (for either reservations or mileage program) on any airline on which I have status (and accordingly a priority phone number). This based on 2-3 calls per month for various purposes. This has been pretty consistent for the past three years or so.

With carriers on which I have no status, different story. I recently called US (because I had a US ticket on UA metal) to change my FF number and was on hold for 12 minutes.

I have no frame of reference on whether that's up, down or sideways, but I was glad I called from the office, where I have a speakerphone.
Old Jul 2, 2003, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
UA (1K) and AS (MVPG) I don't recall any substantial waits at all in recent memory.
Old Jul 2, 2003, 6:10 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
AC (Elite), usually less than 1 minute.
Old Jul 2, 2003, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 75k, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
There is a discussion going on the America West board about this.

I have seen longer hold times, even when using my special gold phone number on America West. It used to be that I got someone right away, with basically no hold. I have recently had waits up to 5 minutes to talk with someone.
Old Jul 2, 2003, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
With NW (where I'm Plat) hold times have never exceeded 3 minutes.

With AA (where I'm Plat) hold times typically average 3 minutes but not more than 7.

With CO where I have NO status, hold is like 10 minute average (blech).

Steve
Old Jul 2, 2003, 6:48 pm

AA EXP line is about the same.

DL Platinum line is at least three time longer on the average.
Old Jul 2, 2003, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
CO seems to me to be pretty bad. Of course, I'm only Silver there (no elite line for silvers).

NW is a little better. As I am moving up (currently Gold) I am noticing a definite improvement in the service I get over the phone.

Although NW does have the annoying habit of just hanging up on you when they're too busy.
Old Jul 2, 2003, 8:21 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
as NW gold, my wait times are very brief, if at all. As previous poster stated, back when I was only silver and didn't have access to the gold/plat line the waits were horrific and frequently were told "we're to busy now, call back later, CLICK". so as gold I have no complaints at all.
Old Jul 2, 2003, 8:36 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I've seen no increase at all in hold times, but I tend to call in the middle of the night and there usually isn't any problems.

What word caused the ****ed?
Old Jul 2, 2003, 9:03 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Plat For Life/UA Million Miler-PremEx For Life/SPG Gold
UA 1K Desk....vast improvement over lst 4-5 months, most call times less than 2 minutes

KLM Plat Elite HelpDesk...always taken within first minute

AC SuperElite...2-3 minutes; Elite normally a disaster

HH Diamond Desk...always taken within first minute
Old Jul 2, 2003, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
AA EXP line: generally no wait at all, picked up by on the first or second ring after entering my number. On the rare occasions that I have to wait, always under one minute.

Others: not enough recent experience to comment.
Old Jul 2, 2003, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA1K
UA 1P: I never seem to wait at all. In fact, I have always been a bit surprised by that. This includes (domestic) MP award travel desk. Not enough relevant experience with international MP.

AA no-status: very short, but like cordelli, I tend to only call in the middle of the night.

fiat_owner

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cordelli:
What word caused the ****ed?</font>
Misspell of "shifted" maybe?

[This message has been edited by fiat_owner (edited 07-02-2003).]
Old Jul 2, 2003, 10:23 pm

EP status on AA---no more than 2 minutes.
AA with no status---no more than 5 minutes.

Delta with GM status---3 minutes max.
Delta with no status---up to 20 minutes.

Northwest with status---no more than 4 minutes.
Northwest with no status---there are times where it won't even put me in the que--it tells you to call back later. Other times I have waited anywhere from 2 to 45 minutes. I have found that if you always punch in the option to buy a new ticket (not to deal with an existing reservation) you get put into a higher priority que.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.