US Air to Emerge From Bankruptcy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2003, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive

Possibly a silver lining in a very cloudy environment? Could also mean that airlines who do not follow suit of bankruptcy stand less of a chance of overall survival, ie. AA? Still think also that UA may not emerge.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...s_bankruptcy_7
Old Mar 31, 2003, 7:30 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
Well we see that the motivating factor to come out so soon was the federal bailout loan that they would not qualify for if they were still in bankruptcy.

I agree that I still do not see UA getting out successfully, just a hunch.

[This message has been edited by quinella66 (edited 03-31-2003).]
Old Mar 31, 2003, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whle the latest signs from UA (labor concessions) are somewhat encouraging to me, the assessment on AA has taken a dive lately.

Happy for US though.
Old Mar 31, 2003, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Well the "deadline" AA imposed for concessions or bankruptcy has just passed. Evidently the pilots union accepted the requested cuts, and I believe many of the other employees have also.

Still, if UA can make it, I imagine AA can. AA seems to have a better grasp on the realities of the situation then UA does.
Old Mar 31, 2003, 10:23 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
The question now is, is US Air worth a flyer at 12 cents???
Old Mar 31, 2003, 11:40 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mauld:
The question now is, is US Air worth a flyer at 12 cents???</font>

NO NO NO! The stock becomes worthless the second they emerge from BK, Don't do it

Old Mar 31, 2003, 12:37 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
No, there will be some issuing of new stock eventually or something. The Retirement Systems of Alabama owns a controlling stake in the reorganized US.
Old Mar 31, 2003, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looking at preliminary details of the AA pilots concessions, it'll be easier to run an airline with the contractual flexilibity UA pilots are willing to work under.

Time will tell, I guess.
Old Mar 31, 2003, 1:59 pm

why does it become worthless when they emerge from BK? Thanks!!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PineyBob:

NO NO NO! The stock becomes worthless the second they emerge from BK, Don't do it

</font>
Old Mar 31, 2003, 2:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Andy100:
why does it become worthless when they emerge from BK? Thanks!!
</font>
Stock does not necessarily become worthless as a matter of law, but in reality this is almost the case. More senior creditors can block any restructuring in which they are not paid in full before more junior creditors (e.g. equity holders) receive any compensation. In theory parties could mutually agree to an arrangement in which current equity retains some stake in the restructured company, but this is infrequent at best.
Old Mar 31, 2003, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Good for US Air. Have no idea why this thread really belongs in Buzz, but glad I read it it, as never visit US Air board.

A week back I would have said the chances of United still flying come December was maybe 15%. Randy was advising folks not to panic and cash miles, and that looked to me like a pretty risky call.

Now I would rate it 70%. Randy guessed pretty right it seems.

The pilots union just agreeing to a 30-35% pay cut, and other serious concessions United wanted was the turning point IMO. Still to be voted on but pilot boards I read say it is a forgone conclusion. And the other unions will follow on this one.

The AA unions do not want to see THAT big a salary dip so IMO they quite sensibly are agreeing to smaller reductions NOW before a BK judge forces it on them if Chapter 11 loomed large, which it was.

------------------
~ Glen ~

Come visit HERE the most ** FRIENDLY FORUM ** on FlyerTalk. No flame wars, no personal abuse, no substance abuse. Not much of anything really!
Old Apr 1, 2003, 7:02 am

It becomes worthless because stockholders get paid after creditors, and if you are in BR then there is not enough money to pay creditors let alone stockholders. In most cases, the creditors take the equity as partial payment, although in a few cases the original shareholders keep something or get something -- often warrants.
Old Apr 1, 2003, 8:21 am

In this particular case it becomes worthless because US Air cancelled it as part of the BK
Old Apr 1, 2003, 10:56 am

From the emergence FAQ:

What happens to the stock of previous shareholders?

Consistent with the plan of reorganization confirmed by the U.S. Bankruptcy Court on March 18, 2003, the company's prior common stock has been cancelled.

Who gets stock in the newly reorganized company and in what proportions?

New common stock will be issued in two classes. There are 51.1 million shares of Class A common stock and 5.0 million shares of Class B common stock. The allocation is as follows:
RSA, which is investing $240 million in US Airways will hold 36.6 percent (on a fully-diluted basis) of the Class A shares and all of the Class B shares
Members of the Air Line Pilots Association: 19.3 percent of the Class A shares
Other employees: 10.8 percent of the Class A shares
Unsecured Creditors: 10.5 percent of the Class A shares
The ATSB: 10.0 percent of the Class A shares
Management: 7.8 percent of the Class A shares
General Electric: 5.0 percent of the Class A shares

How will the stock be listed and traded?

US Airways will be listed on a public stock exchange, but those details have not been disclosed, pending the completion of listing requirements and the distribution of unrestricted stock.

What will unsecured creditors receive as payment for their claims?

Holders of allowed general unsecured claims (including vendors and bondholders) will receive Class A common stock and Class A-1 warrants in the reorganized company, but the amount of stock for each creditor, and the overall percentage of repayment for each claim is still to be determined. It is estimated that the recovery for general unsecured creditors will be from 1.2 percent to 1.8 percent of the allowed claim. Holders of allowed secured and priority claims are expected to receive the full amount of their claims.

http://www.usairways.com/about/emergence/faq.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.