Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Moral question: too many miles in acct?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2008, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
and as I have said in countless threads, when you are short some miles from something you legitimately did on an airline site, it's not so easy as "just calling them up" to get those missing miles. I can cite TONS of personal examples with printed proof showing what a pain in the freakin ars this really is! A recent one ended after months of pain and death, and I can only say this: I have NEVER lost a missed mile or rebate except once. And that one was my mistake.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Starwood/Marriott, Hilton, IHG
Originally Posted by crabbing
in contrast, last year delta had a unique partners promotion, and you were eligible for bonuses depending on how many partners you utilized. i undisputably fell short of the threshold, but i still got the bonus (something like 5k). did i try to send them back? no way! delta (and all other ff programs) exercises such exclusive control over their programs, with so many ambiguities, that i consider the terms and conditions of any promotion to be the bare minimum.
Since DL gutted SkyMiles and devalued things so bad, that 5K they gave you is just a drop in the bucket. That's when I switched to NW and now I'm afraid that the Beavis and Butthead mentality in Atlanta will eventually permeate into WP and it will be like menudo coming up a second time, if you know what I mean. The only DL remnant I have left is that I originally joined e-Rewards through SkyMiles so I now only redeem for HH points. I finally burned the rest of my miles left there when I took the boys to Hawaii in 2006 and then put the miles for my paid ticket into WP but grimaced at the empty seats up front, one of which I would have been sitting in had it been NW!
Old Mar 4, 2008, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mlgagne
they will figure it out eventually
I did an exchange with another FTer which was supposed to land 40K AA miles in my account. I was planning on transferring them over to Hilton as I don't really fly AA. About 8 months after the transfer was complete & the 40K were sitting in my AA account, I logged in one day to do the transfer to HH. The 40K were gone.

Long story short...I called them up & they said that the credit card used to purchase the miles to deposit them into my account was a fraudulent credit card & that the miles were deducted from my account (no notice was sent to me & I don't check my AA account often as I rarely use it). I contacted the FTer in question (as I was pretty damn pissed - he originally told me that he was transfering them from his business account & I believed him) - it turned out that he got the miles from another transaction & thought it was legit & when he had them added to my account. Personally, I don't believe him & won't trade with him again - but we resolved the situation with another transaction that worked (and as it all worked out in the end, I'm not willing to share this FT'ers username).

Moral of the story - accounts do on occassion get audited if its due to fraudulent activity. That said, if it was a simple posting error, I doubt they'll ever find out...wait a year or so before cashing them out - if it isn't caught by then, enjoy your vacation - you earned it!

With all that said...karma can be a female dog...
Old Mar 4, 2008, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
oh dear me. If I do any deals with people, they'd better not be THAT poster's bad FTer!

Anyway, this just proves that if you see miles in your account, USE THEM NOW! It's like that small window you may have gotten in drunken college bars where the hottie across the room actually DOES wanna go home with you now. Do it man, cuz in some way or another, this moment may end and the lights will go on in her head or yours.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 11:04 pm

Programs: united, aa, delta, chase UR, Bonvoy
how much r we talking about? you can always transfer them to me or donate them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.