Wiki Posts
Search

Randy picks the best credit card plans to offer air miles cheaply

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2002, 5:35 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

FWIW, at the chat last evening Randy noted that he felt that the Starwood Amex was about as good as it gets these days, and he also liked the AAdvantage Gold CC!
Old Jan 18, 2002, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by doc:
FWIW, at the chat last evening Randy noted that he felt that the Starwood Amex was about as good as it gets these days, and he also liked the AAdvantage Gold CC! </font>
I missed the chat but find it interesting that Randy recommends the Starwood card. I had pretty much reached the same conclusion, based on the very good exchange rate of Starpoints to airline miles -- one to one, or, if you redeem 20,000 points, you get 25,000 miles. (Plus, Starwood has some good new combo airmiles/hotel awards!) In such uncertain times, it's prudent to have a "currency" like Starpoints that can be so favorably exchanged for so many different things.

Kathy

Old Jan 18, 2002, 12:08 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by doc:
FWIW, at the chat last evening Randy noted that he felt that the Starwood Amex was about as good as it gets these days, and he also liked the AAdvantage Gold CC! </font>
Great! I have both and I'm all set!

------------------
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
Old Jan 18, 2002, 12:33 pm

On the subject of the "Quicken Visa/Mastercard", I note on their www site that one $100 voucher is obtained for each $8,000 in spending rather than the $6,000 mentioned above. Have the rules changed or are the above posters "grandfathered" in under a more generous plan?
Old Jan 18, 2002, 7:02 pm
biff

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by scotty00:
...AMEX isnt accpted everywhere so the Starwood Visa would be the better call. What I want to know is what the main differences are between the those two cards (the Starwood Optima and Visa)...</font>
There is no Starwood Visa. I wish. When I asked Starwood Lurker earlier this year if one was a future possibility, he said "The short answer is NO". The free VISA that I use is the Hilton HHonors Platinum from Citibank USA. But it's only 2 points for each $1 spent (3 points if spent at Hilton) and it takes 85,000 points for a domestic ticket.

Old Jan 18, 2002, 8:44 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by biff:

I wish. When I asked Starwood Lurker earlier this year if one was a future possibility, he said "The short answer is NO". The free VISA that I use is the Hilton HHonors Platinum from Citibank USA. But it's only 2 points for each $1 spent (3 points if spent at Hilton) and it takes 85,000 points for a domestic ticket.</font>

Biff I have the HHonor card as well, i got it for the 10k bonus...but never use it. I recommend you to use the Starwood eventhough it aint no Visa....many many places do take AMEX. With 85k points for a tkt...you can use 20,000 for a free tkt.So if you divide 85k/2=$42,500 or if you use the card for Hilton it will still be 85k/3=$28333! And 42500-20030=$22470 | 28333-20030=$8303

So you will spend $22470 less to get a free tkt..and $8303 if you used your HH on all Hilton hotels (which is very unlikely!)

------------------
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

[This message has been edited by afang (edited 01-18-2002).]
Old Jan 18, 2002, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Seems like a good strategy would be to use the Hilton Amex only for HHonors stays (earning 5 points per dollar spent); use the Starwood Amex for everything else that accepts Amex; and have at least one mile- or point- earning Visa/Mastercard to use at places that don't take Amex.

Kathy
Old Jan 18, 2002, 11:51 pm

I'm keeping my Starwood Amex & won't have to pay the $30 fee until next year. Thirty bucks isn't too much to ask considering that they've given me several free 5000-point mileage transfer bonuses, plus other valuable promotions and good customer service.
Old Jan 19, 2002, 10:02 am
biff

Thanks afang and Kathy. I forgot to mention that I use the Hilton Visa only as backup to my Starwood Amex, following your very compelling logic.

I guess what we many of us want is the best deal on a free Visa card, even if infrequently used.

Old Jan 20, 2002, 9:52 am
doc
Original Poster

Amex is presnetly being accepted at more and more places these days and so this issue is increasingly far less important, IMHO.

Again, FWIW, Hilton also has a VISA!

BTW, I too have a Hilton Amex!
Old Jul 11, 2002, 8:43 pm
doc
Original Poster

THE JOY OF MILES: FOR CREDIT CARD MILES, JUST SAY "CHARGE IT"

Next to flying, charging purchases is one of the most common ways to earn miles. But how do you know which credit card to choose?
Frequent flier expert Tim Winship looks at the pros and cons of each card type in the latest installment of The Joy of Miles.

http://rd.SmarterLiving.com/rd/?r=da071102.col1
Old Mar 1, 2003, 1:21 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by afang:
Too bad Amtrak doesn't transfer points to AA miles </font>
Effective June 1, Midwest Express (YX) miles can be used on AA flights.

Amtrak will transfer to YX.

In fact, with new partnerships, all the majors are covered via UA, CO, and YX:

[This message has been edited by Rut Dog (edited 03-01-2003).]
    Old Mar 3, 2003, 2:04 pm

My use of credit is air tight (for me anyway. Everyone's spending habits are different, of course)

I. Wife uses Delta AmEx for all gas/groceries (she spends $200-plus every trip to the grocery store, so the double miles add up fast)

II. I use same Delta AmEx acct for all gas, $50 in stamps every trip to USPS and the occasional trip to Home Depot. PLUS, AmEx refunded my $85 annual fee (which I had already paid them) just because I wrote them a nice letter. Thanks AmEx

III. United Visa is my backup (couldn't resist the $15K sign-up bonus). Lately, I'm using my United card for restaurants as well and the United 3-5-7 Idine bonus)

IV. My wife currently has an old Visa that doesn't produce miles or cash rebates or anything (but I'm probably going to use the current United Visa referral get her one. This will give me an extra 5K bonus in addition to her getting the standard $15K bonus, so that's 20K between us just on the bonuses)

V. I use my Starwood at the liquor store and other AmEx merchants who do not fit into the Delta double miles scheme. Can't go wrong since I can use Starwood to top off whatever miles account I want (except United). I consider my Starwood points very valuable, so I don't hesitate to use Starwood with these merchants.

VI. Only thing I regret is throwing away my HHonors AmEx (3 pts per $1) which I got just for the sign-up bonus. I would have used that one sometimes, maybe I will ask for another card since the account is still open.

Any ways you guys can see that I can get more miles, or is this strategy fairly sound in your view?
    Old Apr 27, 2005, 10:16 am

BankOne, Citibank and MBNA Worldpoints all offer mileage credit cards with no annual fee, and whose miles are redeemable on any major carrier. Citibank at one point recently was offering a x5 multiplier for daily uses like gas and groceries.

This site seems largely outdated and useless. I would appreciate help in a private message if there is a better way to zero in only on threads that have recent posts. I've altered my settings to show only more recent posts, but I don't see a way to look at a "table of contents" of the threads and sort them without visiting the thread first.
    Old Apr 27, 2005, 10:21 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
    How about reading the FAQs to the site before you start calling it useless.

This site was created for people to learn and share information about how best to earn points & miles in frequent flyer or guest programs.

It's not a place to come to find cheap airfare deals or mistakes.

Each forum also has stickys on top to explain how to properly use that forum, as well as instructions for using UBB. Dredging up old posts from 2000 is NOT the way to do it.

BTW - welcome to FT. Read a little before you pass judgement - you may like it here & wish to contribute.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.