Wiki Posts
Search

Randy picks the best credit card plans to offer air miles cheaply

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2000, 10:17 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

You can get miles from a Starwood Optima!

20K SPG (hotel) pts = 25K miles!
Old Oct 16, 2000, 11:08 am
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Yes the Sheraton/Starwood points can be used for airline transfers (1 pt = 1 mile, subject to some minimum transfer requirements). It is even better than an airline affinity card, since you get a choice of airlines. Also you can time the transfers - which is important since many airlines now have expiration policies which are 3 years after last activity. With the Starwood Optima you can ensure that none of your mileage expires.
Old Oct 16, 2000, 11:34 am
In Memoriam

I am aware that you can get miles by converting hotel points. My point, however, was that in this article Randy was focusing on cards that earn miles directly and not the entire gamut of ways to get miles from cards. Some people seemed to imply that Randy had "missed something" by not talking about these other cards, and I think that is a bit unfair given the apparent focus of this specific article.

[This message has been edited by TravelWeary (edited 10-16-2000).]
Old Oct 16, 2000, 11:40 am
DH

Only time I'll consider annual fee affiliate credit is when there's a big promotion.

In the past, I signed up AAdvantage MC for 10,000 miles and 1 mile/$ for balance transfer; I received total 26,000 miles for $50 fee (10K miles for sing up bonus & 16K miles for balance transfer; I got the double transfer miles thanks to a Citibank's goof up).

Last year, when AmEx DL card was offering 20K bonus miles, I took the bait too.

In above cases the annual fee was worth paying for and I didn't renew those cards this year.

Make sure to wait for a good promotion. Otherwise, Sheraton/Starwood AmEx Optima card all the way!

Lastly, Diners Club still offers 12,000 sign up bonus for $80(?) annual fee and it has more airlines partners than Starwood.

------------------
For money savings ideas & tips check & FF miles bonus for finance & auto buying check out ValueConsumer.com
Old Oct 16, 2000, 1:44 pm
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally posted by TravelWeary:
I am aware that you can get miles by converting hotel points. My point, however, was that in this article Randy was focusing on cards that earn miles directly and not the entire gamut of ways to get miles from cards. Some people seemed to imply that Randy had "missed something" by not talking about these other cards, and I think that is a bit unfair given the apparent focus of this specific article.

Randy had mentioned for example the webmiles.com credit card. So the omission of the Starwood card seems significant.
Old Oct 16, 2000, 2:21 pm
DH

I agree. Just can't figure out why he left out SPG AmEx and Diner Club cards.

------------------
For money savings ideas & tips check & FF miles bonus for finance & auto buying check out ValueConsumer.com
Old Oct 16, 2000, 3:34 pm
In Memoriam

OK, I didn't know that the Webmiles.com credit card gave out hotel points that would then have to be converted to miles like SPG and other Optima cards. I honestly don't know anything about Webmiles, but by its name it sounded like it would give out miles. My mistake, obviously.
Old Oct 16, 2000, 3:58 pm
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TravelWeary I was responding to your statement - Randy was focusing on cards that earn miles directly . The webmiles card does not give hotel points. The card gives points which then have to be converted to discounts or airline tickets (with a 14 day advance purchase). It is a card which does not earn airline miles. By that yardstick the Starwood Optima offers airline miles while the webmiles.com card does not offer miles directly or indirectly (at least for your purchases - you might get miles for your award flight - but no miles for say a $1500 purchase).

Also Randy mentioned other cards like the ones from WellsFargo and CapitalOne.
Old Oct 16, 2000, 5:56 pm
In Memoriam

Hey, PG. Point taken again. I've tried to say I made a mistake and I'm sorry, so what do you need to call a truce here?

But...I still say SPG and the other Optima AMEX cards don't fit in the same category as say Capital One. This is MY opinion ONLY. Please don't let it bother you if you don't agree with me. Seriously.

Old Oct 16, 2000, 6:23 pm
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TravelWeary - I am sorry if it looks like I'm attacking you. I am not, and if appears so I am really sorry.

[This message has been edited by PG (edited 10-16-2000).]
Old Oct 16, 2000, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Along these lines, what are the downfalls of signing up for cards only to get the initial bonus?
Old Oct 16, 2000, 7:06 pm
In Memoriam

No problem at all, PG. I think toadman is right (although as an AS fan I am prejudiced), but the AS Plat VISA is such a good deal with its annual renewal perks. For the annual fee of $75, I would buy the bonus pack alone that comes with this card. Upgrade certs, club passes, anniversary miles and the $50 companion cert which alone makes the deal worthwhile.
As far as dingo's question, I'm sure there are horror stories out there, but my experience is actually good. I signed up for the Marriott VISA several years ago for the point bonus and got comped to Gold (now silver). I dropped the card after the first year, but every year since, they've continued to comp me to this level.
Old Oct 16, 2000, 7:08 pm
DH

There are two categories of "miles" that are offered here in the marketplace and here are some pros and cons I came up with.

1. "real"(?) miles - can be transferred to FF accounts. Any of airlines credit cards, SPG AmEx, ClickRewards, AmEx MR, Diners Club, and others are in this category. Pros: miles can be transferred to respective FF programs. No advance booking is required (as long as award seats available). Miles can be used for upgrade. Cons: Award tickets do not earn miles. Awards are capacity controlled.

2. "pseudo"(?) miles - miles here are used as a unit to represent a value. WebMiles, MileSource, CapitalOne, and MBNA NEA card are in this category. Pro: Tickets are bought/paid thus earn miles. Since these are paid tickets, they may not capacity controlled. Con: Miles have no usefullness outside its program. "Award ticket" require advance booking and its miles can not be used for upgrade. With continuing .com shake outs, some companies may fold leaving their miles useless.

PG and I are referring to category 1 cards. No offense to people who prefer category 2 cards. Each person should evaluate what he/she wants and make a decision accordingly.

My 2 cents.

------------------
Old Oct 20, 2000, 6:38 am

DH,
The NEA card gives you points that can be redeemed for a particular dollar value...(i.e. 35,000 points = $1000 ticket). You're right in this regard.

BUT did you know that you can upgrade to business or first class by paying the difference??? (if a Europe biz class ticket costs $1200, you pay the extra $200, since they give you $1000 credit). You can even use your airline upgrade certificates on the ticket, since it's actually a PURCHASED ticket.

The NEA card points can also be redeemed for car rentals & hotel stays! The redemption levels for destinations is also the BEST seen.

THIS MAKES THE MBNA NEA CARD THE BEST CARD THIS SIDE OF THE SPG.
Old Oct 20, 2000, 9:01 am
Founder of FlyerTalk

WAIT...the column for Biztravel WAS NOT meant to be an all emcompassing review of credit cards nor a slection of the "Best." It was only designed as an answer and overview to the question that a person asked me. Al to be limited within around 800 words. It is a topic far too complicated to explain in one small question, so I hope that none of you are mislead by this snapshot. Also, because of space I wasn't able to include my normal warnings to never spend credit for miles sake.......the advice only pertains to those who have make a decision to buy and now only need advice on which is the more convenient way to pay......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.