First-class for Pesos

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First-class for Pesos

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2007, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Location: Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Indiana, Ohio, North Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado, Mexico
Programs: AAdvantage, UA Mileage Plus
First-class for Pesos

The peso isn't the only undervalued Mexican currency. Mexicana Airlines' Frecuenta mileage program can help you travel the world in business or first class for a fraction of the normal price.

You don't even have to set foot on a Mexicana plane, according to Matthew Bennett of Firstclassflyer.com. That's because you can buy frequent-flier miles from Mexicana for a bargain 1.6 cents each (on other carriers it's more than 2.5 cents) and use them to fly airlines like American, Air Canada, Air New Zealand, Singapore and Lufthansa.

Here's how it works. Say you want to fly from Los Angeles to Tokyo first class on Singapore Air. By buying 120,000 miles at 1.6 cents, you'd spend only $1,920, vs. $12,565 for a typical fare. There's no limit to how many miles you can buy, but it can be difficult to find frequent-flier seats, so check availability first.

Has this been discussed before? If not what do yall think?

Here is the link.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/...fortune/3.html
Old Jul 11, 2007, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by HAtkins5
Has this been discussed before? If not what do yall think?
Since you're a newbie, and FT has been around for almost a decade, it is a pretty sure bet this has indeed been talked about quite a bit. Nothing unique...and as the caveat notes, be sure you can get a seat when you want it before buying those miles/points. The likelihood is so negligible it will only be of value to someone who is very flexible in their plans. Even if you find available F seats on SQ or any other partner airline, they are likely to have vanished by the time the miles/points are purchased and ready to be redeemed.

The classic example of such a "mileage purchase" was actually offered by FT's monthly periodical, INSIDE FLYER. It was offering SPG points for each subsciption purchased. As it transpired, if you bought $1,500 worth of subscriptions (30), the SPG points earned would be enough to get a First Class or Concorde ticket through QF's FF program. And there were lots of award seats available on Concorde once she started flying again. So lots of subscriptions were sold -- and in true FT fashion, offered up for free to those who wanted them by those who bought them. A Concorde seat went for $12,000 return back then, so quite a deal.

Of course, what also made it so good was the fact that for every 20K of SPG points one transferred to QF, SPG tossed in another 5K, so lots of us just used the SPG points we already had: It was 100K SPG points to get the 120K QF points needed.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver
where can you get it for 1.6?

on the mexicana web site, it lists a price of 22 USD per 1000 miles... to get 1.6, would you have to convert to pesos and buy it in that currency? or is the info outdated...?
Old Jul 12, 2007, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder

The classic example of such a "mileage purchase" was actually offered by FT's monthly periodical, INSIDE FLYER. It was offering SPG points for each subsciption purchased. As it transpired, if you bought $1,500 worth of subscriptions (30), the SPG points earned would be enough to get a First Class or Concorde ticket through QF's FF program. And there were lots of award seats available on Concorde once she started flying again. So lots of subscriptions were sold -- and in true FT fashion, offered up for free to those who wanted them by those who bought them. A Concorde seat went for $12,000 return back then, so quite a deal.

Of course, what also made it so good was the fact that for every 20K of SPG points one transferred to QF, SPG tossed in another 5K, so lots of us just used the SPG points we already had: It was 100K SPG points to get the 120K QF points needed.
Actually, back then SPG points converted to QF at a 1 to 2 ratio. So 50k SPG became 60k with the normal SPG bonus and that 60k became 120k with the old conversion rate.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 1:52 am

I can't find $1.6 cent per mile....

I can't find $1.6 cent per mile....the web site says US $2.2 cent per mile plus tax.....how are you converting...
Old Jul 15, 2007, 10:19 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Since you're a newbie, and FT has been around for almost a decade, it is a pretty sure bet this has indeed been talked about quite a bit. Nothing unique...and as the caveat notes, be sure you can get a seat when you want it before buying those miles/points. The likelihood is so negligible it will only be of value to someone who is very flexible in their plans. Even if you find available F seats on SQ or any other partner airline, they are likely to have vanished by the time the miles/points are purchased and ready to be redeemed.

I was one of the FTers that bought the subscriptions and flew the Concorde. Awesome experience. I did donate the subscriptions the a bunch of libraries.

As an aside, the chance of finding a FC seat on SQ, even for top tier elites, is as close to zero as you can get. There have been anecdotal stories of success, but they are few and far between.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 10:28 am

Quite easy to find a single SQ award first class seat LAX-NRT & JFK-FRA.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by Colin
Quite easy to find a single SQ award first class seat LAX-NRT & JFK-FRA.
Getting SQ F seats is so hard on some routes I'd say it'd be easier to get F award seats on SIN-EWR and SIN-LAX

The last time I tried to get SQ F tickets I gave up and went with BA instead...
Old Jul 20, 2007, 1:47 pm

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Originally Posted by beach4444
I can't find $1.6 cent per mile....the web site says US $2.2 cent per mile plus tax.....how are you converting...
The price changed from $16/1,000 MX miles to $22/1,000 MX miles in 2006. I didn't see any date on the Fortune article, but it is obviously outdated information.

I have struggled for years to use my 200,000 MX miles. It can be quite difficult to get a confirmed reservation for an international partner award.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP 5MM
SQ F on US-Sin non-stops

A'int gonna happen. Biz and Coach is all they fly on the non-stops from EWR and LAX.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rothsteg
A'int gonna happen. Biz and Coach is all they fly on the non-stops from EWR and LAX.
I think you missed Fraser's

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.