Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Easy way to transfer AA miles to Delta Skymiles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2007, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Platinum Medallion Delta SkyMiles, National Executive Elite, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite

Hello all. First time poster.

I have already tried to search the site on this question. I currently have 20,000 AA miles that I'll probably never use, since I'm based out of a Delta hub. Is there any way to transfer these AA miles to my Delta Skymiles account? And if so, what would you recommend?

Due to AA's new 18-month mileage retention policy, I'd like to move these miles immediately somewhere that I'll use them. I'll lose these miles in December 2007 if no activity.

Any ideas?
Old Jul 10, 2007, 10:26 am

Welcome to FT.

According to the Mileage Converter at webflyer.com, the best way to do it is through the Diners Club program (which requires actually having a DC card), which would turn 20,000 AA miles into 10,000 DL miles. If you don't have one, then the best way is through the Hilton HHonors program, which would turn the 20k AA miles into 4,000 DL miles. (Suffice it to say that there is no way to do it without losing value.)

I'd also note that any activity will keep the AA miles intact -- even if you spend a few dollars through the eShopping site -- which might be a better way to go (that is, save the miles until you get enough to use them). Another option worth considering is simply to transfer them to Hilton HHonors -- for $25, you'd have enough points to stay at just about any Hilton in the world for one night.

Mike
Old Jul 10, 2007, 10:27 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
A warm welcome to FT

Have not done it myself, but try points.com see if it helps.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 10:42 am

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Originally Posted by allset2travel
A warm welcome to FT

Have not done it myself, but try points.com see if it helps.
In general, points.com is almost never worth it. The only time it make sense to use this service is to top off the mileage to an award that you are very close to getting (and even then I-Dine or a Miles Shopping portal nearly always makes more sense) or getting rid of a few miscellaneous miles.

Without looking up the conversion (if there even is one), I'd be surprised if 20,000 AA miles = 2,000 Delta miles via points.com.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 10:50 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by nako
...the best way to do it is through the Diners Club program ... which would turn 20,000 AA miles into 10,000 DL miles. If you don't have one, then the best way is through the Hilton HHonors program, which would turn the 20k AA miles into 4,000 DL miles.
It could be worth obtaining a Diners Club card just to perform the transfer, rather than transfer through Hilton. To transfer AA -> Diners -> DL would cost $25. To obtain a Diners Club card would cost $95, but would also earn 1,000 points per month (requires one transaction per month which will earn additional points). That's another 12,000+ Skymiles. Diners charges $0.95 per 1,000 for the transfer.

Total 22,000+ miles for $141 = $0.006 per mile.

Diners Club Rewards is a good program, offering transfer to 20 airlines...

https://www.citibank.com/dinersus/js...egory=fc79feb6

...and seven hotel chains...

https://www.citibank.com/dinersus/js...egory=e350b05d
Old Jul 10, 2007, 10:55 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, HH, SPG
or donate some AA miles to charities or make donations

http://www.aa.com/apps/AAdvantage/Vi...Type=Charities

AAdvantage Fund Raising™
Earn miles with your donations to non-profit organizations and get information on how to reward donors with AAdvantage miles

Make-A-Wish Foundation®
Your miles can help make wishes come true for children with life-threatening medical conditions.

Miles For Kids In Need®
Your miles can help provide transportation for seriously ill children

National Parks
Donate and earn bonus miles

Operation Hero Miles
Join Operation Hero Miles and bring home America's heroes

United Service Organizations, Inc. (USO)
Old Jul 10, 2007, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Hoof Hunter
Due to AA's new 18-month mileage retention policy, I'd like to move these miles immediately somewhere that I'll use them. I'll lose these miles in December 2007 if no activity.

Any ideas?
Your best bet is to do anything to generate some activity in your account before December to extend the expiration of your miles (I-Dine, on-line shopping, sign-up for a credit card, etc.) Then, try to get at least 25,000 miles in total, and use the miles for an AA award. AA is bound to fly to an airport in your general vicinity.

Alternatively (assuming you have accumulated 25,000 AA miles), participate on this forum until you have access to Coupon Connection (90 days and 90 posts). Then, find someone who is willing to "trade" a Delta award for an AA award.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 1:56 pm

You could also get tons of magazines. (Or one using 300 miles if you just want to keep your account active).
Old Jul 10, 2007, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Platinum Medallion Delta SkyMiles, National Executive Elite, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Thanks for your prompt reponses. I'll take them into consideration and report back on how it plays out. Just gathering up my options for now.

Thx again.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 1:54 pm

Programs: asiana Club
how about points.com
Old Jul 12, 2007, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA - Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by leitian
how about points.com
??? mentioned twice in the post
Old Jul 12, 2007, 6:34 pm

Programs: Skymiles, Advantage, Dynasty
I have looked into converting my AA miles into DL but it is a loosing proposition. I ended up just keeping the AA miles and adding to it little by little through e-rewards till I can get a award ticket. Finally got 35k good enough for a trip to Colombia but now Im wondering if its really worth the approx. $500 worth of award ticket when I can pay on DL and get MQMs. Man Im sick.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 8:57 pm

Skymiles to AAdvantage

How about gifting the 20,000 AA to another AA ff who would gift you 20,000 delta SkyMiles.

I have some delta miles (about 57,000) however I am primarliy a AA ff.
Can't we exchange 20,000 gift miles?
Old Jul 13, 2007, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by mauionmymind
How about gifting the 20,000 AA to another AA ff who would gift you 20,000 delta SkyMiles.

I have some delta miles (about 57,000) however I am primarliy a AA ff.
Can't we exchange 20,000 gift miles?
If you are actually talking about gifting MILES, it would cost you $225 and the OP $180 (capped at 15,000 miles) to enter into this transaction with the airlines -- a complete waste of money.

If you are talking about some type of nebulous 20,000-mile AWARD exchange, that option has already been brought up.

[edited with correct amounts with mia's guidance]

Last edited by ExitRowAisle; Jul 13, 2007 at 1:11 pm
Old Jul 13, 2007, 12:49 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle
...cost you $592 and the OP $530...
No, the cost to transfer AAdvantage miles from one account to another is much less...

https://transfer.points.com/AAdvanta...ethod=transfer

...but a member cannot receive more than 15,000 miles per calendar year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.