Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

What airline started the very first mileage-based frequent flyer program? (and when?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What airline started the very first mileage-based frequent flyer program? (and when?)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2002, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for any info!
Old Sep 11, 2002, 8:03 pm
LLZ

American Airlines, 1981!
Old Sep 11, 2002, 8:30 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
There's a fun reading histoy of FFP's over at:

http://frequentflier.com/ffp-005.htm
Old Sep 12, 2002, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I think it was one of Saint Bob's clever ideas. Like removing the lettuce leaf liner from the salads.
Old Sep 12, 2002, 5:13 am

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
I may be wrong about this one, but I seem to recall reading one of Randy's posts indicating that there was a FFP before AA's.
I'm thinking that at some point on this forum it was a trivia question.

I just can't remember what airline it was.

You might want to drop him a note to inquire.

I'm bumping this one back up to the top, cause on of the other buffs might remember as well.
Old Sep 12, 2002, 5:17 am

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tvl4free:

I'm thinking that at some point on this forum it was a trivia question.</font>
Doc would prolly know where to find that old post.
Old Sep 12, 2002, 8:07 am

Programs: Ozark Airlines--Lifetime Platinum, Braniff---Diamond, Eastern--Plutonium Motel 6--Guest of the Month
I thought it was BA. In one of my MBA classes way back when, we read a Harvard case analysis of them when they were going to start it. I cannot recall if they started it before AA did, or if they just discussed it before AA.
Old Sep 12, 2002, 8:31 am
Founder of FlyerTalk

You may want to try and find a May 2001 issue of InsideFlyer around - we do a very complete historical look at the start of these programs.

Anyway, American did not have the first frequent flyer program - Western Airlines did. American did have the first 'mileage-based' program as is the clue in your question. Bob Crandall did not invent these programs. While the President of American at this time - thus the fatherhood, it was actually the idea of their advertising agency at the time who also handled some bank accounts and noticed the interest toward motivatiing people to open up new bank accounts for a reward of a toaster, etc.

Tell you what. I'll find the online version of it and have the guys post it up on this link later today:
http://www.webflyer.com/company/pres...tats/index.php

also, for this and more interesting things - click on over to our growing time line of the history of these programs:
http://www.webflyer.com/interactive/timeline/
Old Sep 12, 2002, 9:04 am
Mikel at WebFlyer

The article is now posted in the WebFlyer Press Room for your reading pleasure. You can find it by clicking on the "Article on History of Frequent Flyer Programs" link located under the "Interesting Frequent Flyer Statistics" category.

Old Sep 12, 2002, 1:35 pm
Mikel at WebFlyer

dup

[This message has been edited by Mikel at WebFlyer (edited 09-12-2002).]

Old Sep 12, 2002, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
FWIW, the AA web site gives my Aadvantage member since date as May 1, 1981. Anybody beat me?
Old Sep 12, 2002, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I seem to recall that UA used to track high mileage passengers and that was for whom the original RCCs were set up for (something in the back of my mind was 75K flyers?) I don't know what else they did for these passengers, but do know they tracked the travels. Certainly someone here would remember and perhaps be one of these old-timer FFers?
Old Sep 12, 2002, 7:07 pm

I believe it was PANAM.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:18 am

Which airline invented miles, and when?

Hopefully this hasn't been asked 50 times already.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:43 am

Programs: AA 1mil SPG Gold and a variety of others
It is believed to be Texas International Airlines in 1979. But American Airlines was the first one to have a sustained program which began in 1981.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.