Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Round trip Delta coach ticket to anywhere in USA for $275.00

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2002, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Round trip Delta coach ticket to anywhere in USA for $275.00

Step 1: Sign up for the new promotion today that will net you 10,000 miles by following this link.

https://www.delta-offers.com/offers/...oo/yhooGNA0011

Step 2: Go to www.earthlink.net/delta and sign up for their dial up programs that will net you 5000 Delta Skymiles for only $21.95 (of course you can cancel after 30 days)

Step 3: Buy 10,000 Delta miles directly from Delta at a 10% discount by using code: SMAMEX10 and you will get 10000 points for about $250.00.

There are other variations that will help reduce the cost of this ticket even more. You already have a tremendous headstart with the 10,000 free points and then the 5000 points with the earthlink dialup access (no switching, no hassles).

Other possible savings that others can outline would be offers like refer a friend, insurance quotes etc.

My goal is to see this thread evolve where ANYONE can get 25,000 points WITHOUT signing up for new credit cards or switching their long distance or doing anything that requires a lot of work. Let's see if we can bring the cost of this ticket down to zero!
Old Sep 6, 2002, 11:43 am

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mikeinseattle:
Step 2: Go to www.earthlink.net/delta and sign up for their dial up programs that will net you 5000 Delta Skymiles for only $21.95 (of course you can cancel after 30 days)</font>
I had a very difficult time this week cancelling an Earthlink account that I had established for a relative, and Earthlink ended up closing it "at the end of this billing cycle." If your luck is similar, you may want to count on paying for (at least) 2 months service.

The problem was that I had used a Citibank virtual credit card when opening the Earthlink account, and I no longer knew the last 4 digits of the virtual account number. Without that, Earthlink would not close the account. Eventually I found a list of all my past virtual accounts at the Citi web site.

------------------
Middle_Seat
Old Sep 6, 2002, 11:49 am

Some people may be able to get the miles even cheaper by getting a Delta Gold Amex card. Periodically they offer these free for the first year with 10,000 free miles after your first purchase. Also, I believe that they are currently offering 12,000 miles after your first purchase with the version that costs $85 per year.
Old Sep 6, 2002, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It looks like this offer is only good for new SkyMiles members.

It also includes a 2,000 mile bonus the first time you earn miles via Delta or a partner. So, the new enrollment + Earthlink = a tidy 17,000 miles.
Old Sep 6, 2002, 12:08 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mikeinseattle:
Step 1: Sign up for the new promotion today that will net you 10,000 miles by following this link.

https://www.delta-offers.com/offers/...oo/yhooGNA0011
</font>

The link gets you 1,000 miles, not 10,000. In another thread someone explained that the 10,000 mile bonus only applies if you actually buy a delta ticket today. Just relaying what I read. Good luck...
Old Sep 6, 2002, 3:04 pm

The same link was showing 10,000 this morning.
Old Sep 6, 2002, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by benoit:

The link gets you 1,000 miles, not 10,000. In another thread someone explained that the 10,000 mile bonus only applies if you actually buy a delta ticket today. Just relaying what I read. Good luck...</font>
benoit, no I think you are relaying something you THINK you read or you think someone "explained". And it was wrong anyway IMO.

The offer was clearly 10,000 FREE Delta points for any new accounts, and 2,000 extra if and when you flew or bought from their Skymiles partners:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum.../007146-2.html

------------------
~ Glen ~ Calling all United 1K Members - please join .. www.1Kflyers.com
Old Sep 6, 2002, 7:30 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ozstamps:
benoit, no I think you are relaying something you THINK you read or you think someone "explained". And it was wrong anyway IMO.
</font>
Here's what globaliser said,

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
This information has come from the Sky Miles department after some digging around, at the request of a travel agent friend:-

"It is a promo from Yahoo. In order to receive the 10,000 bonus miles, one must purchase a DL ticket from Yahoo's travel site by the end of today, with travel completed by Feb 15, 2003. Once travel occurs, the 10,000 miles will be awarded. That is from Sky Miles Dept. (They were stumped and investigated the site.) So it will only be 1,000 miles unless the other requirements are met."

Let's see what happens.
</font>
I have no special info one way or the other, just relaying what I read.

Guess it is moot now anyway since it expired?
Old Sep 6, 2002, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Yep it has expired. Yep it was wrong. Yep others agreed it was wrong.

------------------
~ Glen ~ Calling all United 1K Members - please join .. www.1Kflyers.com
Old Sep 8, 2002, 6:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Through the use of the Skymiles card - when they are running juicy bonuses - you can accumulate a LOT of Skymiles for little cost. They change the sign-up bonus all the time, and you are supposed to be a NEW cardholder (not somebody who had the card, dumped it, and now wants it again).

In 2000-2001, I got about 77,000 miles for $135. $85 for the annual fee and $50 for a Delta promotional package that ended up being worthless other than the miles. Only other opportunity cost was diverting $10K in spending away from Diner's to meet the requirements of the 50,000 mile bonus promotion.

- 10,000 miles with first purchase
- 50,000 miles for spending $10K in six months
- About 12,000 miles from the purchases themselves (about 20% of the purchases qualified for double miles)
- 5000 miles for the Delta promotional package (I forget the specific name of the package)

I dropped the card after all bonus miles posted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.