Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

converting frequent flyer miles

Old Mar 3, 07, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Location: you can't affordably get there (anywhere) from here (central MT)
Question converting frequent flyer miles

If this is in the wrong place, I'm sorry. Hopefully it will be moved to the appropriate spot it if turns out this isn't it.

I have some AA and NW miles that I would love to convert to another airline. Frontier or DL, perhaps. Any thoughts? I've searched WebFlyer and I don't see NW as a transfer "from" option.

Thanks in advance for your help. gw
Old Mar 3, 07, 5:05 pm

If it's not listed, then the transfer can't happen. As far as I'm aware, NW doesn't have any ways to transfer miles out right now.

Mike
Old Mar 3, 07, 5:33 pm

if you have decent amounts try CC to swap them
I for one would swap DL for AA
Old Mar 4, 07, 1:25 am

Programs: DL Silver Medallion, UA MP, JetBlue TrueBlue, ICH PC Rewards
AFAIK US Bank (issuer of NW CC) will not do the swap.
Old Mar 4, 07, 2:24 am

Programs: DoD

Does anyone know if you can swap US FF miles to CO or AA? and hpw to do it?

Thx for any feedback.

Lilla
Old Mar 4, 07, 6:18 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by lilla View Post
Does anyone know if you can swap US FF miles to CO or AA? and hpw to do it?
It's easy to overlook, but Flyertalk is operated by the same owner as webflyer.com , and on that site is a conversion caclulator that shows how miles or points can be moved from one program to another. It doesn't perform the transfer, just shows paths from one program to another and approximately how much value you will lose in process...

http://webflyer.com/programs/mileage_converter/

You will see that US Airways Dividend Miles does not allow transfers to any other program.
Old Mar 4, 07, 7:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Emerald Club, Amtrak
points.com

You can still swap from Dividend Miles at points.com. (edit: but not WorldPerks, per nako's correction below)
At a huge loss in value of course. So much so that it has to be a better-than-nothing situation.
You can swap into Delta Skymiles, but not out of it.

Edited to add: Oh yeah, if you do join points.com, be sure to search around here or at freefrequentflyermiles.com to find a FF-miles bonus for signing up for the free membership. IMO the paid "gold" membership is too much money for too little benefits.

Last edited by ZeppoX; Mar 5, 07 at 9:41 am
Old Mar 4, 07, 8:34 am

Programs: Currently without any status :(
If some miles mean enough miles to do something useful with them, you could try and access coupon connection and exchange them in there.

Everything else will just be a lot of value lost because transfering in and out is most likely not a good option.

With AA at least there should be several options to get the miles into something different and from this point you should be able to do a 1:1 transfer to hilton points which may beuseful for you as a point stretcher or an upgrade (as said, depends on the miles)

For the future, plan your travel and miles collection better and concentrate on goals.

Example: While not best choice I choose BA as my programm because I knew those 3 flights in their premium eco would give me enough miles for something I wanted and status. Now I am contemplating if I want to switch over to AA completly and look at my travel pattern again. As it seems I will at least do 2 more flights on BA because it helps me with AA in the long run (do challenge in second half of the year).

AA in your case can be a great programm to stay on and from time to time top it up through some transaction with your credit card transfer and alike (dont miss expiration deadlines).

Instead of AA you can collect miles on Alaska which seem to offer also redemption on Skyteam for the future. NW I have no idea.
Old Mar 4, 07, 9:07 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Originally Posted by wask View Post
AFAIK US Bank (issuer of NW CC) will not do the swap.
The previous poster was referring to the "Coupon Connection" here on FlyerTalk with the abbreviation CC, not credit card.
Old Mar 4, 07, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by ZeppoX View Post
I think you can still swap from Dividend Miles and WorldPerks at points.com.
As has been noted in this thread already, you cannot swap from WorldPerks using points.com.

Mike
Old Mar 4, 07, 12:52 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Points.com is not a universal solution. On this page they list the participating companies and the types of transactions permitted. If there is no checkmark next to "Swap Out" you cannot use Points.com to transfer from that program to any other, but even if swaps are permitted not all program combinations are valid...

https://points.com/home/showPartners.do?method=start
Old Mar 4, 07, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K , HH, Starwood
Smile How do I access Coupon Connection?

I see CC referred to often and have not been able to figure out how to access it. Can someone provide a link?
Thanks,
Katherine in Beautiful Maui!
Old Mar 4, 07, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MauiSeeker View Post
I see CC referred to often and have not been able to figure out how to access it. Can someone provide a link?
Coupon Connection is restricted. I think you need to have 90 posts, and be a member for 90 days, unless they've changed it again.
Old Mar 5, 07, 7:36 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, CO, HH, PP
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
Coupon Connection is restricted. I think you need to have 90 posts, and be a member for 90 days, unless they've changed it again.
Those are the requirements.
Old Mar 7, 07, 7:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by scassett View Post
Those are the requirements.
Apologies for going OT, but where would one find the CC section? Or can you even see it before getting in 90 posts? TIA.

Search this Thread