Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how to get to Italy?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2002, 10:59 am
Original Poster

how to get to Italy?

I normally fly AA to Europe. As we want to go to Sicily and not take 3 flights (AA to London, switch airports and fly to Italy, then Al Italia to Sicily), any suggestions on the best way to get bus seat on airline to Italy? Delta has none, as their partner, Al Italia has none. Is Al Italia likely to have more inventory through their program if I transfer miles from *wood? Any other suggestions (I'm trying Continental partner Al Italia next).
Old May 22, 2002, 2:10 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
why not fly to fco directly on AA and then switch to alitalia or meridiana to Sicily?

I don't think a biz seat is necessary on a 2 hour max flight, but you'll want it to FCO.

lala
Old May 22, 2002, 3:13 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Back in 1999, I flew to Munich with UA and then took LH to Catania. It was fast and cheap, and better than going to LHR for no reason!
Old May 22, 2002, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
I used UA miles to fly Austrian Airlines (*A partner) IAD-VIE-FCO business class in April. Very pleasant flights.
Old May 22, 2002, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

US flies to Rome. Then you can take Alitalia to Catania. Fly Envoy Class for a great experience. That's how we went to Sicily from the USA. (We did have to connect in PHL )however, so it was still 3 flights.

Or take UA to Milan and then Alitalia

Or AA to Rome and then Alitalia.

Sicily was great, BTW. I did a trip report on it

http://www.flyertalk.com/pasttalk/ft...ML/001019.html

[This message has been edited by richard (edited 05-22-2002).]
Old May 22, 2002, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help.
My thoughts:
AA - from NYC I'd have to go to Chicago - no way I'd do that. And, through London requires changing from LHR to LGW -
UA - through Munich or Italy - I hadn't thought about UA, and didn't know of Munich flight to Sicily - thanks, although it certainly looks like Fridays (and Thursdays)are hard (impossible?)in business on award travel.
US - no interest in going to Phil, 3 flights.
Old May 23, 2002, 2:55 am
Tintin & Snowy

Have you considered the DL154/AZ7607 nonstop from JFK to VCE and then continuing from VCE to PMO/Palermo or CTA/Catania? It is DL metal to VCE but an AZ codeshare. I think you could still only use 1 award even though you will fly DL metal to VCE then AZ metal to PMO or CTA. However, I believe AZ flights from VCE to PMO and CTA have a stopover in NAP. No change of plane though.

Also, if you still want to use a DL SkyMiles award and DL and AZ have no availability in Business, look into using AF from JFK or EWR to FCO or MXP via CDG. Then use more DL miles for an AZ domestic award from FCO or MXP to PMO or CTA. Alternatively, consider the DL nonstop from JFK to NCE then use AZ from NCE to PMO or CTA via FCO. Obviously, this is not the most optimal way of getting to Sicily given the number of connections and the use of 2 awards. However, it can get you to where you want to go.

Unfortunately DL doesn't offer a SkyMiles award which allows for travel on multiple SkyMiles members.

As for AA miles, you can use swiss (LX) from JKF to Bologna (BLQ) via ZRH. Then use DL miles for AZ from BLQ to PMO. No AZ flights from BLQ to CTA.

Hope these suggestions help.

Old May 23, 2002, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks tintin & snowy - I hadn't tried the VCE route, and a stop without change of planes sure beats going LHR to LGW. I'll see (but I doubt it) if Delta has availability through VCE. Otherwise, all choices include 3 flights, which suggests that I need to buy my own plane if I want a non-stop to Sicily. I can dream, can't I? Maybe I need to go through Rome, and spend a day there - makes the 3rd flight bearable (on a trip of at least one week).
Old May 26, 2002, 4:51 pm
Tintin & Snowy

married 2 miles,

I hope you got the DL flight to VCE. I forgot to mention that if you want to use AA across the pond to LGW, you can fly LGA/JFK to RDU and connect to AA174 777 service from RDU-LGW. But I don't know if BA offers flights from LGW to PMO or CTA.

Old May 27, 2002, 3:53 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
If I remember correctly, all paths lead to Rome. So, it really doesnt matter which way you go, you will get there eventually....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.