Wiki Posts
Search

Google - Unlimited Free Transaction Processing till 12/31

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2006, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
Google - Unlimited Free Transaction Processing till 12/31

I think this might be a good opportunity to rack up miles on your credit card through the year end without incurring any fees.

Basically Google is offering "Unlimited free transaction processing through December 31, 2006"

http://checkout.google.com/support/s...py?topic=10090

What I'm thinking is setup a merchant which will be linked to your bank account, purchase a "service" from your merchant account, google will deposit the funds right back into your bank account and then you pay off your credit card with those funds.

The only thing I'm not too well versed in is the tax ramifications. Google gives you two options for setting up your merchant. You can either: 1) Use a business you already have established by giving Google a Federal Tax ID #, or 2) Set up the merchant using your Social Security #.

Let's discuss and figure out the best way to make this happen!
Old Nov 8, 2006, 9:35 am

This could be very big if it works.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 9:58 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Delta Gold, United 1P
Reading through some of their FAQ's they mention that some accounts have a monthly payout limit. Below is more information from their website on it:

A monthly payout limit is a restriction on the total amount of earnings you can receive at one time.

When you process transactions through Google Checkout, your payouts are sent to you according to the standard payout schedule. With a monthly payout limit, however, your earnings will be paid to you over a longer period. For example, say you have a monthly payout limit of $500. If your total sales in July equal $600, only $500 will be paid to you in July; the remaining $100 will be carried over to your August payouts.

Not all sellers have monthly payout limits. If you have a payout limit, the limit amount will appear on your Payout Summary page, Payout Summary Details page, and payment settings page. On these pages, you may also see a notification message asking if you'd like to remove your monthly payout limit. By clicking the link in the message, you can request that Google perform a simple review and remove your monthly payout limit so you can receive your payouts more quickly. (If you don't see these notification messages, you aren't currently eligible to have your monthly payout limit removed.)
Old Nov 8, 2006, 10:09 am

Programs: United Platinum, Starwood Platinum, Marriott Gold, Global Entry/TSA
Has anyone started this?

Is this for real? Without limits, could you process $20,000 in sales through your site with no transactions?
Old Nov 8, 2006, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Based on what your payout limit is, you more than likely could process 20k without any fees at all!
Old Nov 8, 2006, 10:23 am
Original Poster

I'm actually waiting to complete the Bank Verification Process to find out what my Payouts are going to be.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 10:34 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Delta Gold, United 1P
Originally Posted by vivrant
I'm actually waiting to complete the Bank Verification Process to find out what my Payouts are going to be.
From reading around it looks like most new accounts have a $500.00 payout limit.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:13 am

Knew there had to be a catch. Seemed way too easy of a way to qualify for a black card.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:14 am

Programs: AA Platinum
There are numerous other threads on this topic and I think the general consensus is that it is illegal.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skAAtinsteph
There are numerous other threads on this topic and I think the general consensus is that it is illegal.
Why? I'm guessing only from a tax perspective...
Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:59 am

Illegal? Maybe a violation of someone's TOS but not illegal.

As for taxes, just say you were forming an LLC and then the investment didn't pan out and everyone withdrew their basis. No gains to repor tthere.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Most likely Google will think that something fishy is going on and will suspend the account at least temporarily.

Of course there is nothing illegal doing this but I don't believe that Google would be happy eating the CC fees for this kind of activity.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 11:27 am

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Me thinks Google would assume you are a self employed/small business and would send you a 1099 at the end of the year for the "sales" that you made through Google.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Google Checkout
Your Social Security number and Federal Tax ID/EIN are strictly for Google's use in helping you sign up for Google Checkout. Under normal business circumstances, this information won't be used for governmental tax purposes or other activities outside the scope of the Google Checkout program.
https://checkout.google.com/support/...y?answer=25402
Old Nov 9, 2006, 2:05 pm

It would certainly raise red flags from a tax perspective. Essentially, the IRS would want to know why thousands of dollars were earned (and subsequently spent) by a "business" -- legitimate or otherwise -- and whether those expenses were, indeed, legitimate business expenses.

The scheme is also a violation of Google's terms, in that it prohibits someone from using Checkout either to provide cash advances (which is what is being done here, in essence) or to use it without actually selling a product or merchandise.

The promotion is enough for me to sign up for my own business purposes. There's no way I'd use it in the method suggested, though, given the risks involved.

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.