Search

Google - Unlimited Free Transaction Processing till 12/31

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2006, 8:27 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
that was his point..

except lawyers and the IRS don't usually take credit card
I know lawyers who do, and there are multiple threads here about how to maximize the return on using credit cards (especially bonus point offers) to pay taxes.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Ken in Phx
Isnt money laundering when you "launder" dirty money made from illegal means? So when it is "cleaned" or passed thru a legal third party it is useable?

Where is the money laundering part in this? Its your own money. An unsavvy investigator might just think you are an idiot for buying back your own money.

Ken in Phx
Dammit Ken, THEY FIGURED IT OUT!--no not just THIS part, I mean the whole google thing!

MM
it was only a matter of time
Old Nov 22, 2006, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by ja_user
I would recommend lower dollar amounts, and put some variety in the stores you buy from.
Second that. Google didn't like me selling back and forth between just one person.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 1:44 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mtparadis
Originally Posted by Google
Originally Posted by Google Checkout
Your Social Security number and Federal Tax ID/EIN are strictly for Google's use in helping you sign up for Google Checkout. Under normal business circumstances, this information won't be used for governmental tax purposes or other activities outside the scope of the Google Checkout program.
https://checkout.google.com/support/...y?answer=25402
I thought it was it illegal to require a social security number or Tax id when the person requesting has no reason required by law to have it. In that case, they are supposed to provide an alternative that doesn't require said number, I thought.

In other words, could Google be violating federal law here?
Old Nov 25, 2006, 8:59 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I thought it was it illegal to require a social security number or Tax id when the person requesting has no reason required by law to have it. In that case, they are supposed to provide an alternative that doesn't require said number, I thought.

In other words, could Google be violating federal law here?
Yes - but they would be required to report transactions over 10k and would have to ask for the number. There are a myriad of reasons why they'd need it for a merchant account. They're probably also walking that fine line between being declared a bank or not.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1P
Sorry for being late to the party, but a question for the other lawyers here: why wouldn't this be wire fraud? Yes, it's ripping off Google instead of the IRS, but ripping off Google can still be a crime....
Old Dec 16, 2006, 1:16 am

As I mentioned in my previous posts, I felt that the only tax liability could come from the value of the miles themselves. I have found proof that even this is clearly not the case:

"Announcement 2002-18, 2002-10 I.R.B. 621, 2002 WL 243335 (IRS ANN), 2002-1 C.B. 621
Internal Revenue Service (I.R.S.)
Announcement

FREQUENT FLYER MILES ATTRIBUTABLE TO BUSINESS OR OFFICIAL TRAVEL
Released: February 21, 2002
Published: March 11, 2002

The IRS will not assert that any taxpayer has understated his federal tax liability by reason of the receipt or personal use of frequent flyer miles or other in-kind promotional benefits attributable to the taxpayer's business or official travel. Any future guidance on the taxability of these benefits will be applied prospectively. The relief provided by this announcement does not apply to travel or other promotional benefits that are converted to cash, to compensation that is paid in the form of travel or other promotional benefits, or in other circumstances where these benefits are used for tax avoidance purposes.

Most major airlines offer frequent flyer programs under which passengers accumulate miles for each flight. Individuals may also earn frequent flyer miles or other promotional benefits, for example, through rental cars or hotels. These promotional benefits may generally be exchanged for upgraded seating, free travel, discounted travel, travel-related services, or other services or benefits.
Questions have been raised concerning the taxability of frequent flyer miles or other promotional items that are received as the result of business travel and used for personal purposes. There are numerous technical and administrative issues relating to these benefits on which no official guidance has been provided, including issues relating to the timing and valuation of income inclusions and the basis for identifying personal use benefits attributable to business (or official) expenditures versus those attributable to personal expenditures. Because of these unresolved issues, the IRS has not pursued a tax enforcement program with respect to promotional benefits such as frequent flyer miles.
Consistent with prior practice, the IRS will not assert that any taxpayer has understated his federal tax liability by reason of the receipt or personal use of frequent flyer miles or other in-kind promotional benefits attributable to the taxpayer's business or official travel. Any future guidance on the taxability of these benefits will be applied prospectively.
This relief does not apply to travel or other promotional benefits that are converted to cash, to compensation that is paid in the form of travel or other promotional benefits, or in other circumstances where these benefits are used for tax avoidance purposes.
For information regarding this announcement, call (202) 622-4606 (not a toll-free number). Alternatively, taxpayers may transmit comments electronically via the following e-mail address: [email protected]. Please include "Announcement 2002-18" in the subject line of any electronic communications.
Announcement 2002-18, 2002-10 I.R.B. 621, 2002 WL 243335 (IRS ANN), 2002-1 C.B. 621"

I, along with a couple friends, have all started buying from each other, and we have all received our payouts. I will say that anyone who has illusions of running 1,000,000 through the system will likely be disappointed. Google has uncannily good algorithms that detect odd behavior, and they will send you a polite email asking you to stop. They note your error, tell you no previous transactions will be affected, and any continuing similar transactions will be refunded. Bottom line is , if you want to run under 10k through the system, you will probably be fine.

My next goal is to do an extremely large $50,000 single transaction to a new Google checkout account. I am expecting a call from customer service, but I think if it is a one time deal it will be OK. I will post my results.

If it works I'll get instant Gold with my Starwood card, and I'll probably open a Merrill+ and do it again.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by wtsuppr415
As I mentioned in my previous posts, I felt that the only tax liability could come from the value of the miles themselves. I have found proof that even this is clearly not the case:

"Announcement 2002-18, 2002-10 I.R.B. 621, 2002 WL 243335 (IRS ANN), 2002-1 C.B. 621
Internal Revenue Service (I.R.S.)
Announcement

FREQUENT FLYER MILES ATTRIBUTABLE TO BUSINESS OR OFFICIAL TRAVEL
Released: February 21, 2002
Published: March 11, 2002

The IRS will not assert that any taxpayer has understated his federal tax liability by reason of the receipt or personal use of frequent flyer miles or other in-kind promotional benefits attributable to the taxpayer's business or official travel. Any future guidance on the taxability of these benefits will be applied prospectively. The relief provided by this announcement does not apply to travel or other promotional benefits that are converted to cash, to compensation that is paid in the form of travel or other promotional benefits, or in other circumstances where these benefits are used for tax avoidance purposes.

Most major airlines offer frequent flyer programs under which passengers accumulate miles for each flight. Individuals may also earn frequent flyer miles or other promotional benefits, for example, through rental cars or hotels. These promotional benefits may generally be exchanged for upgraded seating, free travel, discounted travel, travel-related services, or other services or benefits.
Questions have been raised concerning the taxability of frequent flyer miles or other promotional items that are received as the result of business travel and used for personal purposes. There are numerous technical and administrative issues relating to these benefits on which no official guidance has been provided, including issues relating to the timing and valuation of income inclusions and the basis for identifying personal use benefits attributable to business (or official) expenditures versus those attributable to personal expenditures. Because of these unresolved issues, the IRS has not pursued a tax enforcement program with respect to promotional benefits such as frequent flyer miles.
Consistent with prior practice, the IRS will not assert that any taxpayer has understated his federal tax liability by reason of the receipt or personal use of frequent flyer miles or other in-kind promotional benefits attributable to the taxpayer's business or official travel. Any future guidance on the taxability of these benefits will be applied prospectively.
This relief does not apply to travel or other promotional benefits that are converted to cash, to compensation that is paid in the form of travel or other promotional benefits, or in other circumstances where these benefits are used for tax avoidance purposes.
For information regarding this announcement, call (202) 622-4606 (not a toll-free number). Alternatively, taxpayers may transmit comments electronically via the following e-mail address: [email protected]. Please include "Announcement 2002-18" in the subject line of any electronic communications.
Announcement 2002-18, 2002-10 I.R.B. 621, 2002 WL 243335 (IRS ANN), 2002-1 C.B. 621"

I, along with a couple friends, have all started buying from each other, and we have all received our payouts. I will say that anyone who has illusions of running 1,000,000 through the system will likely be disappointed. Google has uncannily good algorithms that detect odd behavior, and they will send you a polite email asking you to stop. They note your error, tell you no previous transactions will be affected, and any continuing similar transactions will be refunded. Bottom line is , if you want to run under 10k through the system, you will probably be fine.

My next goal is to do an extremely large $50,000 single transaction to a new Google checkout account. I am expecting a call from customer service, but I think if it is a one time deal it will be OK. I will post my results.

If it works I'll get instant Gold with my Starwood card, and I'll probably open a Merrill+ and do it again.

excellent post, and I thank you very much for posting the IRS thing... Once and for all, it's a keeper because the question seems to come up a lot in here. If you use FF's then those are not taxed as would be your money. Done. (I have copy/pasted the text to have it ready months from now when someone asks about that again)

As for the google thing, yup! Some gigs are capped either way you slice it and some gigs in here ARE meant to be big one-time happy hits! Have at and get that status/mileage!

MM

(it's a short-term, current, workable method that is much like trying to finding ways to buy something HUGE at a store and returning it but keeping the miles earned upon purchase...You do it like once/twice and then yer out)
Old Jul 12, 2007, 11:03 pm

any updates on this?
Old Jul 12, 2007, 11:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat., WorldPerks, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Wow... missed this thread till now.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 1:20 am

Programs: More than I care to have, but never the ones I need.
So, the no-fee Google Checkout was listed as ending on 12/31/06, but I still have not seen any fees from my Google Checkout account... Can anyone else confirm that they are still not charging fees?
Old Jul 17, 2007, 9:59 am

Programs: HH - Diamond, Marriott - Platinum, Delta - Silver Med.
No fees on accounts until 2008. At least on my account.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 1:04 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Thanks for bumping this.

Now I need to go back and re-read the "small print" to see what this entails.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 1:09 pm

Programs: More than I care to have, but never the ones I need.
bboy - It is good to hear that I am not crazy! I will have to give it a go with a larger transaction...
Old Jul 17, 2007, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP (1.5MM), Hilton/SPG/Marriott Gold
Just curious, are any issues coming up with about $2k transactions?

I did some earlier in the year at 8k each and they called me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.