Wiki Posts
Search

Time required to get through PVD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2001, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Time required to get through PVD

Anyone know how much time I should allow to check in and get through security at Providence (PVD)? I've only been through LAX and SFO so far and it's been brutal but wanted to know what it's like at PVD which is much smaller (and I'll be flying out of next week).
Old Oct 25, 2001, 5:47 am

onemilesaddict,

just flew out of PVD Tues about 12:00pm. It took 10 minutes in AA first class line and about 15 mins to clear security. Security was "tight" but moved. The MP's were paying attention.

Bob
Old Oct 25, 2001, 8:35 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

It all depends when you fly and who you are flying with. Airline-wise, Southwest has the longest lines on average. Sometimes their lines are so long, people mistake them for the Security Line! The airport check-in area is relatively small, so security lines appear long when they go out into the street.. but I would say the wait for that would be, at most, 45 min. In terms of airlines, Southwest has the longest, then USAir/NWA/Continental, then Delta, then UA/AA/etc on the shorter end.
Old Oct 25, 2001, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
A colleague flew out of PVD a couple of weeks ago. He said it was insane in the early morning - lots of first-bank flights starting as early as 5:50, but security didn't open until 5:30... He got there at 5am for his 6:10am flight and didn't have a chance - US Air rebooked him and a bunch of other people using US Express via of all places Newark!
Old Oct 25, 2001, 5:49 pm
BIM

Being my first flight since the new rules, I arrived at PVD two hours early for my 5 pm UA departure this Monday. Security line was nonexistent, and as mentioned, MPs had their noses in your face. Never saw a sign or heard any announcement, but screener made me pull my laptop and go back through the line. Flight was full (going to ORD) and random pax were being screened at the gate. Two observations about that:

1) observed a gentleman joking with the gate attendents (some sort of ticketing issue)who had a European accent (German? Austrian?). This man had a brush cut, wore a military-style field jacket, and carried no hand luggage. Sure enough, he was "randomly chosen" to be patted down and wanded extensively, and his papers scrutinized - all by the same folks he was joshing with earlier. Definitely seemed like profiling to me.

2)I was among the last elites to board early - didn't see one person from the pre-boards being "randomly" chosen. Not sure if this is consistent with other's experiences.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.