Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Tax on Miles

Tax on Miles

Old Oct 15, 2001, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Tax on Miles

I wasn't really paying attention to this, but has anyone noticed that some car rental companies slip in a tax on mileage? I just looked at my itemized invoice from National when I was doing expenses for my last trip, and I saw this item labeled FFTXRSU.

The explanation of this item was "FFTXRSU is a recoupment of tax on Frequent Flier miles earned."

Okay, so it's only $0.26 and I'm not paying for it anyway, my company is. But sheesh, talk about nickel and diming you. Or, in this case, quartering you.
Old Oct 15, 2001, 11:02 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mdtony:
I wasn't really paying attention to this, but has anyone noticed that some car rental companies slip in a tax on mileage? I just looked at my itemized invoice from National when I was doing expenses for my last trip, and I saw this item labeled FFTXRSU.</font>
This has been going on for a while. I know Avis taxes FF miles and MCI taxes the miles earned from long distance calls.

Old Oct 15, 2001, 11:22 am

These are taxes that they are passing on to you becuase they are now required to pay taxes (as a third party) on any miles bought from the airlines.

If you think this is a rip-off, you should look at the $1-$3 car license fee they charge renters!!!
Old Oct 15, 2001, 12:24 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Tango:
These are taxes that they are passing on to you becuase they are now required to pay taxes (as a third party) on any miles bought from the airlines.</font>
This is just a cost of providing the points and should be part of the quoted daily charge but, as we've seen so many times in the USA (can you say "energy surcharge"?), companies love quoting a low rate and then adding anything they can think of on to the bill later.

I've noticed that this particular tax doesn't seem to apply to overseas FF schemes, which is nice. (Gee, do I want to earn 250 miles on a U.S. airline and pay tax on it, or 700 miles on Qantas with no tax? I wonder!)
Old Oct 15, 2001, 12:44 pm

It's on my sprint bill also, it says Frequent Flier excise fee or something like that and its usually around $1. Kinda pricey for the few miles I get from them.
Old Oct 15, 2001, 1:10 pm

Sprint (and most companies) charge a excise tax of about $1 per 1,000 miles awarded. So if you get only 1K in miles, it's $1, but if you are like us and get 5K in some months that's over $5 in taxes.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by nemesis7ms:
It's on my sprint bill also, it says Frequent Flier excise fee or something like that and its usually around $1. Kinda pricey for the few miles I get from them. </font>
Old Oct 15, 2001, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Tax on Miles

Bad, bad, bad, bad words.
Old Oct 15, 2001, 7:44 pm

If this is a tax charged on the amount the airline charges the partner can we take this and calculate backwards what the partners pay the airlines for the miles?

For example if Hertz charges me $0.70 cents for this transaction can we assume that this is 8% sales tax on something purchased from United and therefore Hetz paid $8.75 to United? Or something similar to that.

From that we could then work out that the 700 miles I get with United for this transaction values the miles to the airlines at $0.0125?

Ok, so some of the numbers are random here, I don't have my recipt here for that rental and I can't remember the actual charge for the mile tax, but is the theory valid?
Old Oct 16, 2001, 12:05 am
Original Member

I stopped renting from National after a couple times I believed they were charging taxes inappropriately on free rentals.
Old Oct 16, 2001, 12:20 am

Programs: 1MM BIS. Former 18-year segment 1K, 1997-2014...now just a distant memory.
Is such a sad commentary on how the travel experience has changed. Remember when we once got 500 miles, minimum, for even a one day rental, without any tax? Two weekends ago my bill with AVIS for a three day rental at AUS ($51 for the actual three day weekend rental) tacked on almost 50% for taxes and surcharges. Is anyone else about ready to write their Congressman about this?
Old Oct 17, 2001, 8:31 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ColoBill1:
Is such a sad commentary on how the travel experience has changed. Remember when we once got 500 miles, minimum, for even a one day rental, without any tax? Two weekends ago my bill with AVIS for a three day rental at AUS ($51 for the actual three day weekend rental) tacked on almost 50% for taxes and surcharges. Is anyone else about ready to write their Congressman about this?</font>
Well, writing to your Congressman won't do any good because if you look at the breakdown, they're all pretty much state and local taxes.

And if you're renting a car in a place where you don't live, you're SOL. No local rep is going to pass up the chance to balance his budget on the backs of people who don't live there!
Old Oct 17, 2001, 9:30 am
Suspended

Alamo zapped me on this recently, on a triple miles CO rental coupon deal - those points I did not really need or want, but I paid for em!
Old Oct 17, 2001, 4:17 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mdtony:
Well, writing to your Congressman won't do any good because if you look at the breakdown, they're all pretty much state and local taxes.</font>
That depends on your purpose. I assume Congress could make it mandatory for rental companies to quote the full daily rate in all advertising and all quotes. That would make it much easier to compare rates and stop the misleading practice of adding on all manner of taxes and charges later.

Indeed, a decent blanket consumer protection law that prevented misleading advertising in any industry and prevented charging any amount that wasn't fully disclosed in advance would do it.
Old Oct 17, 2001, 6:21 pm

One trick previously mentioned to avoid the FF mile excise tax is to not give ANY FF miles at rental time, but instead to submit the receipts after the trip for FF mileage credit, as at that time there is no way to charge you for the miles.
The downside to this is the extra time and expense (fax call, etc) for submission.

Jeff
Old Oct 17, 2001, 9:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
That FF tax actually came in very handy one time. Hertz tried to tell me that my bonus miles for a rental didn't show up because the particular rental location in question did not participate in giving miles. I politely pointed out that they had charged a tax on the miles on my receipt, and asked them to either refund the tax or give me the miles. The miles then "miraculously" showed up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.