Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The "What Credit Card Should I Choose?" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2006, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Don't know the details on the double miles offer, but don't bother. Since I first wrote this post Capital One has massively devalued its program. Do not participate.

See this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=483477

The only worthwhile thing for this card is foreign currency transactions.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gregorygrady

I've got SPG AMEX, HH AMEX, HH Visa, Choice Visa, UAL Visa, SWA Visa, Citi Dividend (1-5%), Citi Platinum Select (1-5%), AA M/C, Discover, etc. I always try to use the SPG Amex as much as I can with the exception of gas, groceries, etc which I try to put on the cards I get 5% back and then the HH Amex where I get bonus points for those purchases too. I find that I get ~2% back in value with my SPG Amex and I find that to be the best choice around as do most other FTers. My rankings in terms of value back:

SPG Amex: 2%
HH Amex: 1.5%
HH Visa: 1%
Choice Visa: 1.6%
UAL Visa: 1%
SWA Visa: 1.66%
Citi Dividend: 1% (up to 5%)
AA M/C: 1%
Discover: ~0.25%

Of course these values above are all not taking into account any annual fees or any enrollment bonuses. I sign up for many cards just for the enrollment bonus and never use them (with the exception of any great promos that might be offered me) and then cancel them when the 2nd year annual fee comes due.

Gregorygrady:

If you've determined those are the returns you are getting, one you might want to consider (if you haven't) is the Costco Amex. No annual fee with your Costco membership (which is highly worth it if you can shop at one), 3% cash back at restaurants, 2% back on "travelling" (hotels, airline tickets, rental cars), 1% otherwise.

3% cash back on meals is hard to beat.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Jan 9, 2006 at 11:41 am
Old Jan 9, 2006, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond

There's really no reason to even look at SPG Amex if you are HH Diamond and SPG nothing, unless you have too many HH points to know what to do with... So my advice is to stick with the HH CC's.

Does your advice change if you are Hilton Gold and Spg nothing? Thanks.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Gregorygrady:

If you've determined those are the returns you are getting, one you might want to consider (if you haven't) is the Costco Amex. No annual fee with your Costco membership (which is highly worth it if you can shop at one), 3% cash back at restaurants, 2% back on "travelling" (hotels, airline tickets, rental cars), 1% otherwise.

3% cash back on meals is hard to beat.
I don't belong to Costco unfortunately. And since I already get 5% back with my Citi Dividend for restaurants, that card wouldn't really be an improvement for me anyways. I already get 2% back via SPG Amex which matches the Costco "2% travel feature" and it also beats that standard 1% for everything else.

As far as HH Gold vs. SPG nothing, that takes away a big advantage the HH Diamond has of no blackout/capactiy controls for award stays. You still get upgrades and free breakfast though as HH Gold on award stays, so personally I would probably stick with the HH Amex in that situation. Or maybe get both cards and charge the 5 pts/$ stuff to HH Amex (gas, restaurants, groceries, etc) and everything else to the SPG Amex. Tough call though.........
Old Jan 10, 2006, 7:49 pm

Programs: Former business traveler now working from home
[...] I already get 5% back with my Citi Dividend for restaurants
Hmm, I have a Citi Dividend card and get 5% back only at gas stations, supermarkets, and drugstores. Are you sure you get 5% back at restaurants? Are there any Citi Web pages that mention that offer?
Old Jan 11, 2006, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by mdecerbo
Hmm, I have a Citi Dividend card and get 5% back only at gas stations, supermarkets, and drugstores. Are you sure you get 5% back at restaurants? Are there any Citi Web pages that mention that offer?
Whoops, my bad. I only get 5% back at gas, groceries, and drugstores too. You know you have too many CC's when you can't even remember what card gives what. And then all these stupid promos (like Discover) where I temporarily get 5% back towards restaurants, or others where I get $ back for fast food, it's just all too much to remember!!!
Old Jan 23, 2006, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Update -- I've added info to the first post on the new USAirways credit card from Juniper bank. Related discussion here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509447
Old Jan 23, 2006, 6:16 am

Programs: QF & NW Clubs. Will never buy another ticket on UA or US.
I have included the USAirways Mastercard in my credit card comparison tables.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 7:57 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Choice Privileges Gold
I have found this thread immensely helpful. Thanks to everyone for the great info. I think it'd also be helpful if we could 1 post with a list of all the no-fee credit cards. So far we've seen Hilton Amex, Hilton Visa, Amtrak, UA, and AA (and perhaps others). Has that info been compiled already? I have a Hilton Amex and Visa. However, Citibank just screwed me over, so I'm cancelling the Visa card, and want to get another Visa with no-fee. I prefer the hotel points to airline miles, because I seem to burn through hotel points quicker than airline miles; however, I don't want to pay a fee, and it seems that you do for the hotel cards after a year. Anyway, thanks for the help. tls
Old Jan 24, 2006, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thelostshark
I have found this thread immensely helpful. Thanks to everyone for the great info. I think it'd also be helpful if we could 1 post with a list of all the no-fee credit cards. So far we've seen Hilton Amex, Hilton Visa, Amtrak, UA, and AA (and perhaps others). Has that info been compiled already? I have a Hilton Amex and Visa. However, Citibank just screwed me over, so I'm cancelling the Visa card, and want to get another Visa with no-fee. I prefer the hotel points to airline miles, because I seem to burn through hotel points quicker than airline miles; however, I don't want to pay a fee, and it seems that you do for the hotel cards after a year. Anyway, thanks for the help. tls
No-fee Amtrak Mastercard earns Hilton points at the same rate as the Hilton Visa.

Though you'd prefer hotel points I'd probably go with the no-fee for 2 years US Visa from Juniper bank, 1.5 miles per dollar spent for the first 12 months of cardmembership and 15k miles with first purchase (plus a club pass annually, etc).
Old Jan 24, 2006, 11:11 am

My site includes credit card comparison tables for Airline & Railway, Hotel, Points, Cashback and Business cards (for the US - there are other tables with comparisons for other countries as well) - each listing includes the annual fee so you can pretty easily see the no-fee cards available in each category.

See http://www.andrewcram.com/frequentflyerCC_US_hotel.html for the hotel cards (just use the drop down menu at top to switch to the other tables).

Andrew
Old Jan 24, 2006, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Choice Privileges Gold
Thanks Andrewcx, that's really helpful. I did not know that Choice hotels had a visa card, and I think I may go with that one. (I tend to stay at the lower end hotels.) Re the Priority Club Visa, you may want to note that the no fee is only for the 1st year. Anyway, thanks a bunch. tls
Old Jan 24, 2006, 6:13 pm

Thanks Andrewcx, that's really helpful. I did not know that Choice hotels had a visa card, and I think I may go with that one. (I tend to stay at the lower end hotels.) Re the Priority Club Visa, you may want to note that the no fee is only for the 1st year. Anyway, thanks a bunch. tls
Thanks, I have updated the entry.

Andrew
Old Jan 25, 2006, 9:39 am

Great work: would you consider adding section for especially good promos?
Old Jan 25, 2006, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by best
Great work: would you consider adding section for especially good promos?
I am looking to add a "Limited time offers" section for the whole site (to cover online shopping as well as credit cards etc) - but given how busy I am this week at work it probably won't exist till at least next week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.