Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Poll: Are you a hoarder or a user?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Which describes you?
I "hoard" my miles and points for later day use.
70.62%
I "use" my miles and points for instant gratification.
29.38%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Are you a hoarder or a user?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2005, 8:44 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
There's no button for both.

I earn and burn roughly in balance over a period of a few years, as miles and points continually get devalued dont see the point in saving forever. But in shorter time frames I may be building or burning balances depending on circumstances.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 10:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
Both a user and a hoarder. But, more of a hoarder lately with trying to keep my elite levels on AA and Marriott. It's a Catch 22!
Old Jun 1, 2005, 10:31 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
A Hoarder.

It has taken me four years of mainly business travel (and not much of it) and Fly Free Fasters and other sundry promos to get 130k miles on NW. Although now that I am travelling more on business, I might be more likely to become a User if I know that my supply will fill up a bit quicker then in the past.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 5:54 am

Programs: AA,HP,MP,DL,SPG, MR
Being only a leisure traveler, with miles harder to come by, I was always a hoarder. Cashed in miles only for a few round trips to Hawaii in first with my honey. Howver in the last few weeks I gave my daughter's family four free trips, my son and daughter-in-law three free trips and I used one for myself. I still have plenty of miles on Delta and AA, but figured people should enjoy them before they all go bust. Now I will probably continue hoarding again. I haven't decided what my fantasy trip would be, but want to make sure I have the miles when I finally make up my mind.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 7:22 am

I spend the miles almost as fast as I earn them. I would rather have a cash discount in lieu of these miles. The travel vendors are not getting super loyal customers either. The typical "Gold" membership does not mean a whole lot. Let us face it, even the travel vendors cannot get off the mileage treadmill, so they keep on diluting the value of the miles/points.

Thanks to this board, I have been able to maximize my mileage earning/spending capability.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 7:23 pm

I'm a hoarder then user.

I accumulate then burn on premium space to Australia/South Africa/New Zealand/Europe. Very rarely use miles for domestic coach awards. Do use miles for Mrs Flyer Jon's upgrades -- after all, she earned a ton via Starwood Amex.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
A hoarder, but not by choice. Some day, when my travel schedule slows down, I'll burn 'em.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 8:59 pm

Programs: CO Silver
Burner. They don't earn interest...and the rewards certainly aren't getting cheaper. I get nervous whenever I have more than 500k in one account. Time to burn!
Old Jun 2, 2005, 9:01 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2 Million-miler , SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
User; as much as possible.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
User....Everytime I hit 90,000 C class to Asia on UA...
Old Jun 3, 2005, 12:01 am

I managed to get out of the 100,000+ BIS miles type of a job last year, moved to Europe. Now burning through the accumulated 1 million miles at a rapid pace. Feels great.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mostly a hoarder - cumulatively, in all programs - in the few years that I've been doing this, I've gotten about ~800K airmiles (NW/UA/US/DL/BA/AA - the goal was 1 million cumulatively by 30, so I've got 4 years to get 200K - shouldn't be a problem at this rate!) & the airline equivalency of about 60K in hotel points - I've burned 170K on my mom & sister, 50K as a wedding gift to some friends, and 61K on myself (30K for an upgrade on US & 31K for an Y/F award ticket on NW).

I'd like to start using them more often, but the way I see it, I'll use the miles for upgrades on int'l flights & only on domestic flights I can't financially afford but need to take. Currently, my friends can mostly afford to come on the paid trips that we do - so I don't need to give them tickets & if I had a S.O., I'd probably do some pretty sweet Biz or F trips internationally, but I'm single, so I don't really have anyone to spend them on other than family. And they've got their own little collections of mileage too...
Old Jun 3, 2005, 3:16 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Thought I was a hoarder until I realized I had burned through 1,000,000 AA miles in about 4 years on upgrades to biz.

Yikes, 1,000,000 miles for mediocre food and a moderately comfortable seat.

I'm sort of hoarding again, but not flying as much.

lala
Old Jun 3, 2005, 3:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
A little of both

I am using up my UA miles as fast as possible, before they go belly-up. I hold miles on NW and Delta, but I am not using them up anytime soon. Most of my balance is in AA - the account stays steady with 4 tix to Caribbean every year.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 5:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
user

When I have enough for a trip, I use them. I may save enough for a specific award, but I use it when I need to use it. No reason to hoard the miles, they are not earning me any interest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.