Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Poll: Are you a hoarder or a user?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Which describes you?
I "hoard" my miles and points for later day use.
70.62%
I "use" my miles and points for instant gratification.
29.38%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Are you a hoarder or a user?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2005, 12:37 pm

Programs: A Few
I used to be a hoarder, but I have reduced my Air Canada Aeroplan account from over 1,500,00 to a little over 100,000 points. Air Canada has sent me and my partner Business or First Class to every corner of the world over the past 3 years. I say use them now before they get devalued.
Old May 31, 2005, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Major user. I've been burning like crazy this year. For a legacy six frequent flier mile, I will take anything over 1 cent/mile at this point. Stuff like $275 R/T MCI-DTW trips where I used to buy - now I'm burning. MCI-DEN $240 R/T - got 4 of 'em during ski season for 15k each.

My hoard/burn pattern is more in balance with hotel points.
Old May 31, 2005, 1:01 pm

Programs: HHDia NWASE AAGold MarriottSilver
Hoarder

I'd be more of a user if I had better luck finding availability to use the awards for trips that I'd really like to take.
Old May 31, 2005, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Hoarder

I've used my miles twice. Once for a domestic upgrade so that I could experience the AA Flagship suite and just recently a J award to Europe ... 90k ouch!!
Old May 31, 2005, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
I earn them to get to levels where I can use them soon after. Everything is as planned as it could be. I figure one day this will all end and I wanna redeem everything first. If I decide to save up for Tahiti or something, I will have to pick some nails and lose some sleep a bit though to get there mile-wise!

MM
Old May 31, 2005, 1:24 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Big-time user.
Old May 31, 2005, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
Until recently, I've been a user - the economics made sense in the days of $1800 transcons in Y w/o Saturday night stay. Now, tho, if domestic awards are available, it's likely that I can probably find fares of $300 or less, so I'm hoarding. For many years, I distributed my flying among lots of carriers so it was hit or miss with status; now I'm UA 1P so it's hard to turn down the lure of EQMs and double miles to take an award flight. Hope to be able to take the family to Europe in C or F next year by burning miles, but it's a real challenge to find available award flights.
Old May 31, 2005, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
User.

In the past 7 years:

CO - 2 BizFirst RT EWR-LGW
CO - 2 Y EWR-LAX rt
AA - 2 Y JFK-LAX rt
CO - 4 upgrades to BF on HNL-EWR
DL - 4 Y JFK-CDG-WAW rt on Air France

and already ticketed for this summer

AA - 3 Y JFK-LHR rt
CO - 3 BF LAX-EWR-TLV rt

OTOH, my balances are now down to under 150k on AA, just barely 160k on DL, 100k on SPG and virtually nothing on Amex.
Old May 31, 2005, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 2P; AAGold;HHonors Diamond
USER!

I average about 15000 miles in my account even though I've flown more than a quarter million in flight (that doesn't included bonus miles, cc miles, etc).

Once I have enough for my wife and I to go somewhere, I book the ticket within about a week!
Old May 31, 2005, 2:27 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Some other impressive stuff
Hoarder, but not by choice. 95% of my flights are business and company paid. The last 2 leisure flights I had to purchase tickets, unable to redeem miles.
Old May 31, 2005, 2:42 pm

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
There are benefits to hoarding as I found out when, after amassing so many points and pondering what to do with them, the price of award tickets was slashed in half during a summer promotion which I then I went on a mad spending spree.
Old May 31, 2005, 2:53 pm

Programs: Nothing fits in my travelling wallet any more...
Both. I hoard miles for myself (always buy the ticket and earn elite miles), but spend them whenever a family member or friend needs to get somewhere.
Old May 31, 2005, 3:38 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
User, Hoarder and Giver

I've earned one million NW miles and have 155,000 left. When it reaches 200,000 my wife and I will fly FC to Europe.

Hoarder on AA. We worked hard to earn 150,000 miles each for an around the world award in business. Now, it's find time to go.

United- Hoard them for son #1 and then Giver. He's taking them to Australia next year.

Delta- Hoard them for son #2 and then giver. Whatever he needs them for.
Old May 31, 2005, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA,NW,UA,DL, HH GOLD, Platinum AMB IC
I am a Hoarder !!!!!! But lately I have been using them or getting vouchers
Old May 31, 2005, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hiarder, like some others I do not have too much opportunity to burn a lot, and what I burn quickly replenishes at an exponential rate!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.