Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Watch those carriers out of Iceland

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2001, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Watch those carriers out of Iceland

An Icelandic airline operator came into JFK(Nwe York, USA) for an unscheduled refueling stop. The reason became soon apparent to the ground crew: The fan on the number 3 engine didn't look so good. That had apparently been no problem for the tough guys back in Iceland: Get yourself some sturdy straps and wrap them around fan blades and the structures behind, thus stopping any windmilling and associated uncomfortable vibration caused by the suboptimal fan. Off you go into the wild blue yonder with another revenue-making flight! If you get low on fuel, just set it down on at the closest airport, JFK in this case.
But that's when the problem started: Those Americans are so picky that they grounded the aircraft! After that, the airline operator had to raise some money (took about 10 days) to get the engine changed. The repair contractor also decided to do some inspection work on the other engines because none of them looked all that great anymore. The result: A total of 3 engines were finally changed on this airplane before it was allowed to fly again.

Hey, who wants to fly in Iceland? Keep in mind: this plane was carrying 300-400 people. Can't believe these boneheads really DID this. They wrapped cargo straps on fan blades to keep them from vibrating.

If some of the regulars could advise how to attach a photo I will.....you would not believe this......I bet the passengers didn't even get any miles !!
Old Apr 17, 2001, 2:39 am

Iceland Air is the only airline who operates REK-The World as far as I know. Iceland Air operates REK-JFK 7 days a week.

300-400 people on the aircraft? I didnt know that Iceland Air had such big aircraft and I really doubt that they have.

[This message has been edited by kempis (edited 04-17-2001).]
Old Apr 17, 2001, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
ETOPS01 ... filling up The Buzz with duplicated nonsense is not appreciated. Filling it with fiction mentioning a '300-400' seater Icelandic plane proves what sheer nonsense this is ... they have no such large aircraft flying ... a 228 seat 757-300 being the largest (planned) in their fleet.

"Icelandair offers its customers new and advanced high technology Boeing 737 and 757 aircraft."
www.icelandair.com

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Apr 17, 2001, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Why would Iceland Air make an "unscheduled refueling stop" at JFK? Where were they going? They only fly to JFK in the U.S.

This post is complete rubbish, and I hope that flyertalk closes it out or -- better yet -- deletes it completely.

Bruce
Old Apr 17, 2001, 6:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Better still complain to his ISP, and get his account blocked.

------------------
Continental Airlines
American Airlines
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

NorthwestAirlines
Old Apr 17, 2001, 7:34 am

There is an Icelandic charter airline called Air Atlanta. I've flown one one of their (very old) 747s in the past. It was all one class, and the plane looked like it had been used on domestic Japanese routes in the past.

Their website is at www.atlanta.is

Anyway - I shouldn't have continued this thread now that I've read all of the others...

[This message has been edited by Conrad (edited 04-17-2001).]
Old Apr 17, 2001, 7:51 am

Why would Iceland Air make an "unscheduled refueling stop" at JFK? Where were they going? They only fly to JFK in the U.S.
Of course, Icelandair's route map: http://www.icelandair.com/
shows five U.S. destinations.
Old Apr 17, 2001, 8:51 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
The last thing I want to do is to bring this thing up to the top again, but can we get this useless and obviously BS thread closed? This and the other 4 similar posts, where Iceland is replaced with Germany, America, etc...

Old Apr 17, 2001, 11:17 am

Originally posted by bdschobel:
Bruce
FYI Iceland Air operates flights from JFK, BWI and a handful of other north-eastern US cities, to most of northern Europe (via KEF). Service was outstanding, but the planes did seem a little worn.

Freefaller12k

Old Apr 17, 2001, 11:33 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Iceand Airlines only operates twin engine planes I believe (757's and 737's).

However, the charter operator pointed out does operate 747-200's and -300's which would certainly fit the bill ...

If you have a picture, I'd be interested in it, please e-mail it to me at [email protected] and I'll post it somewhere everyone can see it (this UBB does not allow pictures to be posted).
Old Apr 17, 2001, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally posted by freefaller12k:
FYI Iceland Air operates flights from JFK, BWI and a handful of other north-eastern US cities, to most of northern Europe (via KEF).
Freefaller12k

Icelandair flies 3 non-stops/week off season and 5 non-stops/week on season MCO-KEF
Old Apr 17, 2001, 6:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
I flew Iceland Air in Feb 2000 from Orlando to Paris on their $99 special and I have to say that the plane and the service were excellent. The FA's never stopped returning to to bring more items and to ask if there was anything else they could do for us, what a difference from the u s cariers. My regret this year is that they have had no specials out of Orlando again or I would have been back on them in a second!
Old Apr 18, 2001, 8:07 am

I'm sure Icelandair has there faults like any other major airline. Most of the major airlines are always trying to cut corners and save money, especially the smaller countries like Iceland. I am very happy to know that we are one the safest flying countries in the world! When I board a U.S. maintained aircraft, I know that this aircraft has been kept up to the best FAA certificate standards. There is always a slight chance that a few things here and there have been overlooked or purposally overlooked, but the chances of mechanical failure is slim. Remember that over 90% of aircraft incidents are crew related. As far as the equipment used regarding the acticle, it clearly states that the aircraft had 3 out of the 4 engines repaired, thus making it a HEAVY aircraft such as a DC8-63/73(unlikely due to age of aircraft), B747-100/200/300/400 or a new generation A340 Airbus. Each of these aircrafts are capable of carrying over 300 pax.

Oscar

------------------
Oscar Valera
President
OM Aviation Services
Coral Springs, Florida
Old Apr 18, 2001, 8:38 am
Original Member

Originally posted by ETOPS01:
The result: A total of 3 engines were finally changed on this airplane before it was allowed to fly again.
This alone would elimate Iceland Air, since 737/757 equipment only have two engines.

Old Apr 18, 2001, 9:18 am
SK

Oscarjr, ncorman!
I can't believe you are still treating ETOPS01's "article" seriously!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.