Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

NEED HELP: Which frequent flyer program?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2004, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

I need to know what airline to fly. I have a lot of aa miles, but won't get elite status on any airline this year. I'm a college student, and I'll be studying in Germany next year, making roundtrips between LHR-SFO and Frankfurt-SFO. I'm looking for the airline with the best prices between SFO, SJC, or OAK and Europe, as well as which airline most frequently upgrades elite members to business or first class. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Charles
[email protected]
Old Oct 11, 2004, 4:05 pm

maybe this helps?

Originally Posted by cdahan
I need to know what airline to fly. I have a lot of aa miles, but won't get elite status on any airline this year. I'm a college student, and I'll be studying in Germany next year, making roundtrips between LHR-SFO and Frankfurt-SFO. I'm looking for the airline with the best prices between SFO, SJC, or OAK and Europe, as well as which airline most frequently upgrades elite members to business or first class. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Charles
[email protected]
Normally fares originating outside the US are more competitive especailly in bizclass. When are you planning to travel there? I know that you can still use United miles to upgarde on Lufthasna and vise versa. I'm not sure if AA flyes non stop SFO-FRA. Fares in the summer are most likely going to be higher but sometimes there's a summer euro sale on many airlines. KLM is merging with Air France so they might offer better fares. But be careful in CDG it might collapse on you. LHR-SFO is a heavier route. I think Virgin offers some good fares and updated seating in J if you fly with the Continental code share flights. AA is still in the stone age as far as J class IMOH.
Hope that helps,
choos, Ramondo
Old Oct 11, 2004, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold
If you are just beginning, it will be a while until you are an elite.

Even 4 trips SFO-Europe return may not be enough to get you significant elite status if you buy the cheap fares....I am sure I will be shot down on this one....but I only said MAY :-)

I would maybe look at which would get you the best upgrades using your collected miles and which offer award travel within your region at the best conversion rate.

If you want to use miles from Germany, then LH or SAS are probably good, and you will get status in *A and thus United, which offers cheap flights within the US.

If you want to use award travel within the US, then United may be the best bet.

AA is still pretty good, and with the Platimum Challenge (search AA forum) you should get status pretty quickly, and thus increase upgrades. However, AA program is going through some serious changes, so you wont be able to use miles for upgrades unless you pay $250 each way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.