Greenpoints Hose Job

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Greenpoints Hose Job

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2000, 12:03 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I was fortunate, having less than 1000 points left in my account after redeeming 15,000 points a short time ago. I think this move was unethical and at a minimum warranted an advance notice to their customers.

I have promtly removed GreenPoints from the free miles page at my website and placed them on another page among the many other websites that offer this same kind of scheme.

------------------
Addicted to airline miles? Check out: The Airline Mileage Workshop
Old May 25, 2000, 5:30 am

Just a Junior member, but. Reading this board and watching all these offers come and go makes me wonder. 1st is there Corporate people that don't think there is a group of people that just take advantage of every offer they can, looking for loop holes, trying to get as much for nearly nothing as they can. 2nd is this just a way to get a bunch of us type people to hype their site for free publicity then pull the rug from their best promoters.

I have come to the conclusion that both are correct. As a frequent flier fool I now know any great offer should be viewed as temporary regardless of what is promised or the stability of the company behind it. Taken advantage of any offer (legally) as quickly as possible because history has proved many will not last. move your earned miles into a legitimate Airline program before the rug is pulled

I'm just wondering if one of us found a loop hole the size of a pudding cup and Greenpoints had to cap it before Good Morning America had one of us talk about what the did with a big smile on our face?
Old May 25, 2000, 5:31 am
Commander Catcop

It is sneaky and unethical and a very poor call by Greenpoints to suddenly boost the points needed for airline certificates without an explaination or fair warning.

Someone from Inside Flyer should do an article on this or talk to them for an explaination.

AND FYI: They are deleted from my bookmarks. Now CLICKREWARDS would not do such a thing and in fact is becoming a BETTER program with more merchants and airlines.
Old May 25, 2000, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I agree with Catman. I have almost 9000 greenpoints at the moment and came very close to ordering 3 more Delta certificates last weekend (when they were still 2500 points each). I didn't because I'm about to go out of the country for 2 weeks and didn't want them hanging around while I was away. Now I'm sorry! They really should give people some advance warning before making such a dramatic change. Even when the airlines change their programs -- which they certainly do -- they always give lots of warning.

Bruce
Old May 25, 2000, 7:15 am
Original Poster

We all like to take advantage of new offers as they become available, and we all know that eventually these offers will disappear. Greenpoints has been offering "double points for a limited time". That's the special offer. They're up front on it being an introductory offer, and when it ends we'll be disappointed but will have no anger since they're clear about their intentions.

Doubling the cost of merchandise with no warning whatsoever is another matter altogether. I bought high ticket items expecting to redeem the points I received for the advertised price. There was never any indication from Greenpoints that prices would double instantly. Had there been, I would have redeemed my points immediately upon receipt. I don't understand why they have been clear about receiving points and so underhanded about redeeming points. Unless it was in the business plan...

I notice that Greenpoints hasn't doubled the cost of all its prizes, just the mileage certificates.

So far I haven't heard anything from either Greenpoints or BUY.COM. If/when I do I'll post it here...Paul
Old May 25, 2000, 8:44 am

I was getting ready to purchase $7500 in Marriott certificates which with the double points would have brought in 30,000 miles at 2500/500. Since Greenpoints was so gracious to bump up the cost to 5000/500 does anyone know of another site where I can get 15,000 or more miles for the same purchase?
Old May 25, 2000, 10:51 am
Original Member

A VERY "SPECIFIC" email has been sent to GP headquarters as to what I think of there sudden need to raise the points level on the mileage certificates. A phone call to the 1800 number PROVED WORTHLESS.

Regards,
Mike
Old May 25, 2000, 10:57 am

Originally posted by Bugout:
As a frequent flier fool I now know any great offer should be viewed as temporary regardless of what is promised or the stability of the company behind it. Taken advantage of any offer (legally) as quickly as possible because history has proved many will not last.
Absolutely right. Maybe they have a different meaning for the word "promise".

Old May 25, 2000, 12:07 pm

The CSR I just had on the phone told me I can order the certificates at the old points price from the paper catalogue. Needless to say I ordered my copy of the catalogue from her there and then.

[This message has been edited by Essex Boy (edited 05-25-2000).]
Old May 25, 2000, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

I just requested my copy of the paper catalog. The CSR was nice enough, but when I asked when I could expect to receive the catalog he said "I have absolutely no idea when they mail these out".

Wonderful tip Essex Boy - thanks so much for sharing it!
Old May 25, 2000, 12:43 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
Are you sure about the new point redemption
amounts? When I try to log in, I'm still
told that the site is down.
Old May 25, 2000, 3:36 pm

I'm outraged at this underhanded move. I called for a catalog and the rep told me they will be mailing them out the first of June. Thanks for the tip EssexBoy.
Old May 25, 2000, 3:46 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
I'm very lucky to have gotten away with the 3 delta certificates, but now my greenpoints I have left are worthless. Add me to the list of people that think this was rotten and sneaky. They should have let people know of a change in business practices. They effectively doubled the price over night. It's sick.
Old May 25, 2000, 5:37 pm

Has anyone checked out GreenPoints recently? Just went in and 500 mile certs were back to 2500 points again!!! I ordered certs for 2500 points and received confirmation of the order within a few seconds by e-mail. If this was a change of heart, thanks to GreenPoints for hearing the concerns expressed above!
Old May 25, 2000, 5:51 pm

I just checked back with Greenpoints, after writing them an angry email last night, and I was very HAPPY to see they have lowered the point level for AA Certs back to 2,500! I was able to order 6 of them, and I also received a confirmation immediately. It looks like our efforts worked!

------------------

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.