Search

ENOUGH ALREADY with the congas. Please keep them in The Buzz

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2000, 11:41 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
ENOUGH ALREADY with the congas. Please keep them in The Buzz

I try to be extremely tolerant and subscribe to the "I just don't bother with threads that I hate" philosophy but this conga nonsense has gone too far.

I can't open any thread without finding conga posts.

Please, please, please, for the sake of not driving off the most knowledgeable posters, restrict non-travel related posts to The Buzz. I love Flyer Talk but am becoming more and more reluctant to visit with each passing day and each new conga posting.

[This message has been edited by Punki (edited 04-10-2000).]
Old Apr 10, 2000, 11:43 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

..or better yet, only to OMNI, until the separate thread finally begins!!!
Old Apr 10, 2000, 12:31 pm

Location: Oxford, UK CO Gold, AS MVP, KL RW and AZ nothing, plus Airmiles collector !! With the AZ / KL split now who knows ?
Wholeheartedly agree with Punki and Doc - ENOUGH !
Old Apr 10, 2000, 12:36 pm
DH

Yes, enough is enough! And let's do something about it. Let's ingore such postings from all forums except OMNI.

Here's related posting -
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/000744.html

------------------
"It is not doing the things we like to do, but liking the things we have to do, that makes life blessed." - Goethe
Old Apr 10, 2000, 12:42 pm
Original Member

THANK YOU PUNKI! I was going to saysomething today.BUT you beat me to it.. These CONGA lines are getting ridiculous! The BUZZ has really gone to the dogs... I am hesitant to recommend Flyer Talk to anyone BASED on the CONGA stuff.... Can we move these CONGA "things" to the GARBAGE part of FlyerTalk Randy? Just my five cents! Thanks again Punki for telling it the way it is! Great minds think alike.

Regards,

Mike Mahoney
Old Apr 10, 2000, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA gold UA MM
Originally posted by MIKE MAHONEY:
Great minds think alike.
agree completely
Thanks for bringing this up
Old Apr 10, 2000, 1:37 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Good call, Punki,Unless Randy wants to change the site to somethingfornothing.com. I cherish the nice people that Ive met, and the good insights from really experienced travelers. Im not above getting a good deal, and maybe I shouldnt cast stones because Im doing the LatinPass 500,000 mile thing, but that seems different to me than just trying to collect referrals. Id hate to see this site deteriorate to multilevel marking Hell.
Old Apr 10, 2000, 2:08 pm
Original Member

Here's one more DESPERATE PLEA for Randy to set up a new forum to get these friggin things out of Buzz and Omni. They are driving all of us crazy. This board is not about web or other "deals", it is about Frequent Flyer and Guest programs. While some of these deals can result in certificates for FF miles (and therefore maybe arguably qualify), most of them now have nothing to do with FF programs, other than the fact that you can pay for them with your FF program affinity credit card. PLEASE DO SOMETHING to give us back the board. It is really getting out of hand.

I personally think we don't just need a new single forum, but a new series of them, as with airlines, hotels, credit cards, car rentals.

I would suggest WEB PROMOTIONS or something similar for a general topic, and then separate forums for 1. ClickRewards (which can be converted directly into miles on most airlines); 2. MyPoints (if anyone still uses them, since I think their customer service is horrible); 3. Greenpoints (rapidly gaining favor with me for its accurate and timely posting of points, good deals, and ability to earn some points without purchases; and then others.

Djlawman
Old Apr 10, 2000, 3:14 pm

I'm afraid even a new forum would not do it. The Buzz clearly states it is "frequent flyer" related but yet people are posting anything and everything having nothing to do with frequent flyers (i.e. win a night at a hotel). This is ridiculous. I fear these people either can't read or don't care. I actually went through all my usual forums today and found NOT ONE THING new related to miles or the respective programs. It's just about a waste of my time coming here. I'm glad I got some valuable learnings from the veterans before the onslought of crap. Thanks to those of you (you know who you are).

------------------
Earn money back for shopping online -- http://www.ebates.com/index.jhtml?referrer=keithnj973
Old Apr 10, 2000, 4:18 pm
Original Member

[This was previously a long diatribe about how conga lines are ruining FlyerTalk.]

[This message has been edited by Flying Dutchman (edited 04-10-2000).]
Old Apr 10, 2000, 4:51 pm

Although I am a new participant and glad to help out others when I can, these conga lines are out of hand. Put them all in one location that can be avoided. Some people may like them, but IMO they clutter the valuable information available here. -- 'gig
Old Apr 10, 2000, 4:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
a big thank you to jhpluma for posting his referral-begging all over the board and to whirlygig et al (et al = those of us commenting/replying/argueing in the same threads directly to those postings and so bringing them on top of the list again and again).

I am surprised that even very frequent experienced members like doc (and others) replied several times to jhpluma causing that 'reappearance' effect.

it is a real thank you from me, because your actions may finally lead this bulletin-board-community to return to the roots and good old times of this board (discussing/posting Frequent Flier business/miles/points and sharing FlyerTalkers-personal stories/experiences doing favours to each other, and having fun together).

I hope this latest spammings will lead to get finally and clompletely rid of all those irrelevant time-consuming and wasting, unrewarding/unworthy conga lines and 'get a free night at ...' or 'do you prefer french or english' or 'may be you missed the latest headlines'!

If this will be, somewhen, the result of these latest happenings on our board I will be really gratefull for what you jhpluma et al just have done.
Old Apr 10, 2000, 6:00 pm
Original Member

Agreed Rudi

Some urgent attention to the boards is necessary. The sad thing is that many of the 'congas' are in fact non-frequent flyer related. I like opportunities to earn extra miles but few if any of the programs mentioned on flyertalk seem to let you earn miles.

Alternatively, I think also that there is a need to develop a policy of some sort regarding postings on flyertalk and then have junior administrators with the power to enforce it.

I would suggest a policy whereby for those forums that are frequent flyer related, any post that contains a referral url should be immediately deleted.

On my board at www.ringthem.com/travel (cheap airfares) I have a very simple policy regarding such postings. Unless it is one I have posted myself I immediately delete anything that looks like a referral program or conga.

I am ruthless in the way I administer the board. I don't email anybody about deletions - they are simply immediately removed. It's a bit like the way you have to tackle grafitti. Immediately remove it and the perpetrators soon go away.

I'll happily volunteer to remove the congas if given the power. You'd see much cleaner boards very quickly.

Nevertheless there is some demand out there for a forum devoted to congas so I see no harm in a conga forum (non- ff) set aside for those who are interested.

cheers Peter
Old Apr 10, 2000, 6:52 pm

Perhaps removing the multiple posts due to slow server/mechanical problem also.
Old Apr 10, 2000, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Million-Miler
Amen to all of the above

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.