Wiki Posts
Search

RTW: Amex-ANA-Star Alliance

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2024, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance
RTW: Amex-ANA-Star Alliance

Veteran traveler, first time post & RTW. My wife and I planned to travel with our daughter for 2 to 3 weeks in August RTW (Oslo, Prague, Delhi, Kyoto, Boston). However, we learned that we should have perhaps booked this last summer. In any event, using expert flyer, we see business class seats for 3 from LOG or MSP to Frankfurt in early August or NYC to Japan. We see no availability in late August in the star alliance for business class seats with award miles anywhere.

Questions:
1. is our perception correct that we would need to shift the trip to early August because there is no avail availability in the network in late August?
2. We see no availability to get from Delhi to anywhere in Asia at any time in August. Is that correct?
3. Finally, it appears, because of limited availability, we should rethink RTW and simply take a trip to Asia or Europe, does that sound correct?

Thank you in advance to the experts here. By the way, NuNuf77, your reputation precedes you!
Old Apr 30, 2024, 8:25 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by Highlander16
Veteran traveler, first time post & RTW. My wife and I planned to travel with our daughter for 2 to 3 weeks in August RTW (Oslo, Prague, Delhi, Kyoto, Boston). However, we learned that we should have perhaps booked this last summer. In any event, using expert flyer, we see business class seats for 3 from LOG or MSP to Frankfurt in early August or NYC to Japan. We see no availability in late August in the star alliance for business class seats with award miles anywhere.

Questions:
1. is our perception correct that we would need to shift the trip to early August because there is no avail availability in the network in late August?
2. We see no availability to get from Delhi to anywhere in Asia at any time in August. Is that correct?
3. Finally, it appears, because of limited availability, we should rethink RTW and simply take a trip to Asia or Europe, does that sound correct?

Thank you in advance to the experts here. By the way, NuNuf77, your reputation precedes you!
This would probably be a better post in the ANA or Star Alliance forums, where it'll be seen by more people who are familiar with these programs.

1. I don't think anyone can say for sure that there's no availability in the network (does this mean all flights around the globe?) in "late August" (what comprises late August?). There may not be award availability on the specific flights you want on the days in question. The only way to know is to search for availability one leg at a time using trial and error.
2. Again, the only way to know would be trial and error and searching on the various platforms that allow you to look for award availability. You could use the ANA or Aeroplan sites for this or an app like seats.aero, that lets you search for award availability over a length of time.
3. That's a decision only you can make.
Old May 2, 2024, 1:18 am

August will be very hot and not an ideal time for Japan - Delhi will also be uncomfortable. I would stick to Europe or visit another part of Asia. Europe is easy to reach and there's a daytime flight on BA to LHR which is a civilized way to travel in economy if you need to pay for flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.