Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

How big is the actual impact of travel brokers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2023, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: I wish :'(

Just starting an overall thread for curiosity. We know that AC in particular has been struggling with this, but programs like AV have been hit too. We see programs like TK, CX, BR, etc., with very strict requirements on how family sharing is implemented, who can book tickets for who, how cancellations and changes work, how released tickets are handled, and so on. However, most American programs in particular have no cost cancellations and usually allow you to book for anyone else.

I've also been getting more broker advertisements on social media, and know of a couple of friends who have used these services.

Given that premium travel is at an all time high, and programs have been decreasing availability, I wonder what %age of these spots are going to miles brokers. I also wonder what %age of these spots go to those who make speculative bookings.

I personally would love a major crackdown - no more flexible bookings, no more booking for others (except via an unchangeable/only with fee change nomination process), and so on.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by yitianjian
I personally would love a major crackdown - no more flexible bookings, no more booking for others (except via an unchangeable/only with fee change nomination process), and so on.
This reminds me of some of the lounge threads: all sorts of ideas on how to reduce demand that will affect other people but not affect the person posing the idea, such that they get the benefit of the rule change without the downside. I for one would "hate" (I think that's the opposite of love) the changes you suggest. I frequently make last-minute changes to my travel plans, and often book travel for others using my points. Although I'm happy with the "no change fee, no redeposit fee" situation that we seem to be in these days, I was fine with paying a service fee for those services back when they were charged. What would be completely unacceptable to me would be award booking that were "use it or lose it - no changes allowed." Although I use the features I mentioned above, I never do speculative booking or sell/barter awards - my use of the award programs is in full compliance with both the letter and spirit of the program rules. I would not be happy if they instituted rules that substantially (dramatically?) reduced the value of those programs in order to address what others are doing with them.
hhdl likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: I wish :'(
Originally Posted by Steve M
All sorts of ideas on how to reduce demand that will affect other people but not affect the person posing the idea, such that they get the benefit of the rule change without the downside.
You're not wrong, but I definitely to partake in speculative bookings and cancel last minute if they don't work out. I also think this is a bit of prisoner's dilemma here, because of low availability, in order to ensure I have the dates/travels I want, I do need to speculatively book ahead, but in reality ending up reducing inventory for everyone else.

I do like how many of the Asian carriers do it though, so was more using that as a concrete example of what steps programs could be taking. I happily suffer through CX style with high cancellation fees, poor (nowadays) online service and limited redemptions for others if it gave the upside of easier access to inventory, for example.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.