Wiki Posts
Search

Hot gamification elements in programs

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2023, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Talking Hot gamification elements in programs

Hi everyone,

I am frequent traveller due to my job as a management consultant. I am also a huge sucker for cool new gamification approaches in loyalty programs. I love to try them out but the difficult part is learning that they exist . So I am just going to ask the community: Which present (or past) initiatives are your favorites? Where have you earned most extra miles?

My recent favorites ranked:
1. Air Baltic - Planies
2. Lufthansa - UpTrip
3. ANA - ANA Pocket

In the past also: Jet Blue - True Blue Badges, AIr Canada - Earn your Wings

I haven't really seen any cool stuff from hotels or car rental programs. Have you?

I am so much looking forward to your feedback!

Last edited by marykay1804; Jul 31, 2023 at 7:58 am Reason: fit to thread
Old Jul 31, 2023, 5:29 pm
Community Director Emerita

I'm not quite sure what you mean, so perhaps this is off the mark. I sorely miss Hyatt's Faster Free Nights, where for 2 nights, you earned 1 free night that you could use at even their top properties. So, for instance, it was possible to stay at a Hyatt Place for less than $100 a night and redeem at a Park Hyatt that cost up and over several hundred a night. I redeemed a number of nights at Park Hyatt Vendome.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 8:49 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski

FT discussions (threads) are generally more practical
...and yet Flyertalk itself awards Badges and Titles.

Last edited by mia; Aug 2, 2023 at 9:01 am
Old Aug 2, 2023, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by mia
...and yet Flyertalk itself awards Badges and Titles.
I don’t follow, what is your point?
Old Aug 3, 2023, 6:31 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....what is your point?
Some Flyertalk posters are interested in, and motivated by, Badges and Titles, in addition to Miles and Points.
Dr Jabadski and Parterre like this.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Oh, man, the Hyatt FFN and the US Airways Grand Slams are bringing back some memories. US Airways had some really nice redemption sweet spots too. 55k R/T Envory off-peak to Europe. 80k R/T J on partner carriers to a liberally-defined North Asia region. Plus SWUs that were pretty easy to use on paid fares and awarded at mid-tier, whereas most airlines require you to hit top-tier to get SWUs.

Other honorable mentions: SPG often had promos that rivaled the Hyatt FFN. AA used to have good anniversary promos (using partners like the US Grand Slam). Hertz had a weird one where every couple of rentals you'd get a free piece of luggage. One-off thing they did with Samsonite, I think. I still have a couple of the bags in my basement somewhere. The old Hilton Conquest bonuses, circa 2001. (Those were incredibly lucrative, before much of the world had figured out hotel programs. You could turn a few Hampton Inn nights in to 6 free nights in Hawaii at their top resorts.)

Marriott always lagged in promos, but made up for it with their Elite Exclusive Offers booklets, which always had Marriott and Renaissance weekend BOGOs and a variety of other really good deals.

Modern times? Not much out there left. I occasionally run into little extras like the Hyatt free night for using 5 brands, but nothing that I chase the way we did when Milesbuzz was THE place to be on Flyertalk for all of these kinds of deals.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 7:13 am

Programs: AC SE, Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Some Flyertalk posters are interested in, and motivated by, Badges and Titles, in addition to Miles and Points.
These also tend to blend together with actual concrete benefits, or perhaps more precisely they undermine the ability to rationally assess the value of the concrete benefit. That is, it's very difficult to dispassionately assess the real value of a given benefit when it is attached to some sort of achievement or status title. I've seen people willing to spend thousands on dollar runs to achieve an elite status level that would bring them only hundreds of dollars of benefits, but it has an elite title, and in my mind they fool themselves into thinking they're motivated by the concrete benefits rather than by the title/badge. This is the great strength of 'loyalty' programs, in my view, to businesses, they exploit our human temptation to irrationality.
Parterre likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 7:50 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
FT discussions (threads) are generally more practical, how can an award help us to travel more inexpensively and/or more comfortably and/or more luxuriously than we’d prefer to pay for.
That's exactly what at least number 1 in OP's ranking provides
Old Aug 17, 2023, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've seen programs with badges and titles but I'm never sure why I'd pursue them. Unless they're tied to a tangible bonus or something. (Like Hyatt's "5-brand" game, an extra free night.)

Chipotle is always trying to tempt me with badges. Like, I'm here for the burritos, not braggin' rights.
Dr Jabadski and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 4:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Greatest of all time for me was the SPG resort nights program... If I recall, believe it was one night at any resort for every three stays. My whole group of consultants switched between the W and Westin across the street from each other every night. I ended up with nearly 20 nights at the St Regis Kauai out of that program alone...
Old Sep 28, 2023, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Greatest one ever, which pre-dated FT was the Pan Am shuttle "Book" promo which they ran several times in 1989/1990/1991. One could buy a book of 10 Pan Am shuttle tickets for something ridiculous like $399. As the shuttle operated on a "show up and fly" service, there were no blackouts or other restrictions. Each shuttle segment also earned 1500 miles, and they had a couple of other promotions including, a thousand bonus miles per same day roundtrip, as well as a 20,000 bonus if you flew 10 segments in a month, lastly there was at one point a $!00 discount on the book if you were a student.

So for $299, if one spent the entire weekend just flying back and forth, one would earn 15,000 miles "regular", 5,000 miles for same day RT's, and 20,000 for flying 10 segments on a month, a total of 40,000 miles. I should also note that IIRC one would earn Platinum status at 30,000 flown miles, so if one did this twice, one would have Platinum status. And in those days unless you were flying to Europe Platinums always got upgrades, Economy RT's to Europe cost 30,000 miles and business 40,000 miles (it might have been 50). So if you did this twice you got two RT flights to anywhere they flew in Europe and even had a good shot to get upgraded to First. Rack rate on these even at that time was $5k for J and $8k for F, and it cost a whopping $600 bucks. I remember once doing this and seeing an Indian family of 8 doing the same thing all weekend to get their tickets to India.

Another one of that era were the "Standby passes" that US carriers would sell to foreign students. They generally cost $599 and for a month gave non-US people under the age of 23 (could have been 25 IIRC) the right to fly UNLIMITED standby anywhere the airline flew in the US, All the big carriers had a version of these, Delta, American, United, TWA, Pan Am, etc. There were two things however that the airlines did not think about. One, it was an era of much less security when it came with documents, and the tickets were essentially written on the spot at the gate, so clever foreign students figured that if there were two of them, one would get the ticket written up, pass the book over to their friend before boarding (if there was space on the plane, the seat could be confirmed and BP issued 2-3 hours before the flight) and then their companion would just fly in on the next flight. Yes a bit of fraud, but I do know non US citizens who did this.

The FF aspect of this, that I suppose the airlines were myopic about was that some clever students would open a FF account with the airline, save all their boarding passes from these flights and then send them all in after the month was over and get full FF credit for all the flights that they made. So I remember a British friend of mine bragging about how he had flown, all across the US back and forth 7 times including Hawaii etc with his friend for $599 and then flew back the next year from Europe to the US again RT the next year with the miles that he earned from it. Obviously the world is a much different place now, but things like this did happen in the 80's and up to the early 90's.
Parterre and radagastmod like this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
We need to hear from the Pudding Guy and the Mileage Maniac .
Parterre likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
I've seen programs with badges and titles but I'm never sure why I'd pursue them. Unless they're tied to a tangible bonus or something. (Like Hyatt's "5-brand" game, an extra free night.)

Chipotle is always trying to tempt me with badges. Like, I'm here for the burritos, not braggin' rights.
Chipotle badges is hilarious...although now I'm hungry for a burrito...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.