Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avios Bonus - 30% Amex transfer bonus

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2023, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Avios Bonus - 30% Amex transfer bonus

There is currently a promotion with Amex US for 30% off Avios mile transfers. Managed to book first class LON -> NYC for 60,500 amex points and $700 in August. Good business availability as well.
Apolllo5678, cruser1 and econ like this.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not a transfer discount, it's a transfer bonus. In other words, for every 1000 Amex points you transfer during this bonus, you get 1300 Avios instead of 1000 Avios.
roberto99 and Brendan like this.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 9:09 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Good catch, Sdsearch! One can spend 10K Amex to get 13K Avios under this promo. OTOH if it were a 30% discount, 13K Avios would cost 9100 Amex MR points (13K x .7.)
In any case, thank you Lzws1693 for informing us of this promo.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 2:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Is there a published end date?
Old Jul 17, 2023, 9:20 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Note that this offer applies only to USA-issued American Express cards enrolled in Membership Rewards.

​​​​​​​You must be an eligible Membership Rewards® Card Member enrolled in the British Airways Executive Club in order to participate in this offer, visit https://www.britishairways.com/trave...w/public/en_gb to enroll. If INVEST for Amex by Vanguard, American Express® Rewards Checking, and/or American Express® Business Checking are your only Membership Rewards® Products, you are not eligible for this offer at this time. American Express is not responsible for availability of flight, accommodations or any other rewards in the British Airways Executive Club. Once you have transferred Membership Rewards points, they become subject to the Terms and Conditions of the British Airways Executive Club and cannot be transferred back to your Membership Rewards program account. Taxes, fees, charges and surcharges, including airline surcharges, apply on British Airways Executive Club redemption flights and upgrades. See British Airways Executive Club Terms and Conditions for details. Individual air carrier restrictions may apply.

Minimum transfer is 1,000 Membership Rewards points. Redeem for this exclusive offer from 12:00 a.m MT on 7/1/2023 to 11:59 p.m MT on 8/31/2023, to receive 30% additional Avios. Additional Avios will be awarded at the time of transfer. Generally, transfers are immediate but please allow up to 72 hours for the transfer to be completed. POID: GFEL:0065
©American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc. All rights reserved.

Old Jul 18, 2023, 2:55 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by mia
Note that this offer applies only to USA-issued American Express cards enrolled in Membership Rewards.
Works for Iberia, too. https://global.americanexpress.com/rewards/transfer
Old Jul 19, 2023, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Is this a good deal? In searching for flights, all the British Airways operated flights (business) seem to have huge mileage requirements AND massive taxes.
I did one search for USA domestic (TPA-LAX, one way), and it is 13K Avios + $5.60... but only 8.5K American AAdvantage points. (this is about a $325 fare)

Is there a sweet spot (desirable routes) that I should be looking at?
Old Jul 19, 2023, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by WannaTheater
Is this a good deal? In searching for flights, all the British Airways operated flights (business) seem to have huge mileage requirements AND massive taxes.
I did one search for USA domestic (TPA-LAX, one way), and it is 13K Avios + $5.60... but only 8.5K American AAdvantage points. (this is about a $325 fare)

The AA one might be a better deal, but that Avios redemption isn't that bad either, IMO. I find Avios are a lot easier to earn (due to the CC transfer partners, and especially with these types of bonuses) compared with AA miles.

Pre-covid, I found Avios to be really good value on intra-Asia J/PE (e.g. CX to/from HKG)

Since then, I've used them on short intra-Europe flights on BA, and some AA/AS domestic.

I don't even consider them for TATL/TPAC due to higher redemption rates + surcharges.
WannaTheater likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 7:50 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by econ

Since then, I've used them on short intra-Europe flights on BA, ...
What type of business class cabin does BA have intra-Europe? Is it the same as other European carriers in which the seats are identical to economy and they leave the middle seat empty? Or do they have a better hard product like domestic USA first?

Separate question, is it entirely impossible to find transatlantic flights in J that do not have excessively high miles and taxes required? Looking for US to Europe, Middle East, and Asia for several different trips over the next year.
Thanks
Old Jul 21, 2023, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by friedablass
What type of business class cabin does BA have intra-Europe? Is it the same as other European carriers in which the seats are identical to economy and they leave the middle seat empty?
Correct.

Originally Posted by friedablass
Separate question, is it entirely impossible to find transatlantic flights in J that do not have excessively high miles and taxes required? Looking for US to Europe, Middle East, and Asia for several different trips over the next year.
There's other threads out there that discuss this, but I recall seeing posts about IB flights having lower fees. I believe the TPAC partners like CX, JL do as well.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WannaTheater

I don't know about Avios, but AA mileage requirements are "dynamic" and can change significantly at any time. Meanwhile, Avios points are not always redeemable for AA flights, they used to be redeemable only for "AAdvantage Saver" fares, but those don't exist anymore at AA, so I'm not sure what the determination point is for when Avios is usable tor AA flights and when it isn't.

Documentation on how to redeem Avios for AA created before AA got rid of redemption charts and thus got rid "AAdvantage Saver" fares is not applicable any more, but I haven't seen updated documentation yet, every site I've looked at that publishes articles about Avios seems to still use that outdated documentation.

In any case, there's no set correlation between AA redemption rates and Avios redemption rates for the same flight at the same time.

The thing is, AA miles can't be transferred from any credit program generally, while Avios points are easy to transfer from several different credit card programs. That's why so many people focus on using Avios for AA, because they don't have AA miles. I have zillions of AA miles, and I've so far used Avios only for intra South Africa British Airways flights, on an airline they owned there.

BA only has massive taxes on transatlantic flights (and maybe some other ultra-long flights, I don't know). That's why I only used my Avios for intra-Africa flights, because those didn't have massive taxes.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 22, 2023 at 11:39 am
Old Jul 23, 2023, 10:54 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
I am thinking of taking advantage of this deal, particularly because I'm sitting on 300k Amex points that can only be transferred to Delta domestically and I wrote off Delta awards as almost useless years ago. I do fly to Madrid pretty often, but usually fly from EWR, and Iberia only flies from JFK and I'd almost rather swim to Europe rather than drive to JFK. But I could probably do a lot with 390k avios points. Would I be able to get any use of my Alaska Gold MVP status if flying on an award issued through Iberia?
Old Jul 23, 2023, 12:21 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by srodr
....Amex points that can only be transferred to Delta domestically....
Also JetBlue and Hawaiian Airlines, but there is no need to transfer to a domestic program to redeem for domestic flights on AA, AS, DL or UA.

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program?
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.