Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pay cash fare vs. Convert AMEX/Bonvoy to fly KE

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2023, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Pay cash fare vs. Convert AMEX/Bonvoy to fly KE

If anyone can shed any light on this, that’ll be great!!

I make a regular trip from Toronto to HKG yearly. This year, I am to fly out on July 18 and won’t be back till July 1/2 2024.

I have a few options:
  1. Fly round trip with Qatar Airways and pay 7K (company covers a portion - say around 3K)
  2. Fly one way with Qatar and pay 4200 (company covers 3K). Then use miles. I have enough miles to fly Korean Air (will have to convert either AMEX MR or Bonvoy - around 50K points) and Cathay. However, Cathay either hasn’t released their business class seats or have very limited numbers as I cannot find any seats. Korean Air is generous and releasing seats, and it will cost 62,500 miles.
I was a little reluctant with option 2 because AMEX/Bonvoy is no longer a transfer partner with Korean Air. I am find better alternatives to transfer and get bonus points.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 6:29 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Korean Air is a Skyteam member. You do not necessarily need to be able to convert American Express to Korean's program, you may be able to redeem a partner award through another Skyteam airline. American Express Hong Kong's transfer partners are listed here: https://www.americanexpress.com/en-h...rline_Partners China Airlines and Virgin Atlantic are Skyteam members.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Korean Air is a Skyteam member. You do not necessarily need to be able to convert American Express to Korean's program, you may be able to redeem a partner award through another Skyteam airline. American Express Hong Kong's transfer partners are listed here: https://www.americanexpress.com/en-h...rline_Partners China Airlines and Virgin Atlantic are Skyteam members.
Thanks so much! That’s true - but I have existing points with Korean Air that’s expiring in December, hence I am contemplating transferring 50K points either from Bonvoy or AMEX to use it up!
Old Jun 21, 2023, 7:05 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by anythursday
....contemplating transferring 50K points either from ....AMEX to use it up!
How would you do this if Korean is not an Amex transfer partner?
hhdl likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
How would you do this if Korean is not an Amex transfer partner?
Sorry, my mistake. They are both transfer partners - you just no longer get the bonus 5000 points when you transfer a certain amount of points into SKYPASS.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 1:22 am

KE availability is not great. Unless you only need a small amount I'd look for better options.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by erik123
KE availability is not great. Unless you only need a small amount I'd look for better options.
Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.