Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Daily Getaways 2023

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2023, 12:14 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by progapanda
Was expecting the IHG sales to remain unsold through the end of the day (like in past years) but surprise, they all show sold out! It would have been a preemptive purchase so I am not too bummed but a data point for 2023 Daily Getaways buyers.
IHG points can be insanely good value these days, especially if you're US-based and hold the Chase credit cards that give 4th night free and 10% points rebate. For instance, I just booked 4 nights at IC Singapore for 104.4k points. Cheapest nonrefundable cash rate would be SGD1732 (=$1290 USD). Even if you get 10% cashback on that, buying points at .5cpp still means that you're paying less than half of what you'd be paying in cash (and of course the award rate also is refundable, so really better than the $1290 cash rate). I could list dozens of similarly amazing redemption deals. However, IHG points can also be truly terrible -- 74k for a mediocre Holiday Inn Express that sells for $200. Personally, I happily bought all I could get my hands on, but it's not for everybody -- highly dependent on one's travel and redemption patterns.

Originally Posted by Yunnnn
IHG Points appear to have posted today, but the amount is wrong if you purchased more than 1 package.

I bought 2 x 25000 and 4 x 5000.
Only got 1 credit of 25000 and 5000.

Gonna wait out the entire 10 business days.
Had the mistaken amount (one of each package) post some 6 hours ago, but now it appears to be correct. Was worried about having to chase points, but thankfully it has worked out. Quite surprised it was so quick!
GUWonder and progapanda like this.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 1:37 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Was expecting the IHG sales to remain unsold through the end of the day (like in past years) but surprise, they all show sold out! It would have been a preemptive purchase so I am not too bummed but a data point for 2023 Daily Getaways buyers.
Deal hunting for travel space savings may be in overdrive along with the revenge travel spending still going on in the country for those who did way better than average during the pandemic.

Personally, I am trying to grab to more hotel points on the relative cheap than ever before. And one of my prime objective deals this time around has a lot fewer packages than it has had in prior years, so it’s going to be interesting to see how many we can grab this time to maximize savings on the lodging expenses.
progapanda likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 12:53 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
Oh, I concur and hold both Chase cards for the 10% rebate and 4th night free myself! That was really why I had planned (not too well however) a pre-emptive purchase to get around the annual points purchase limits because I certainly make use of the recurring sales IHG does otherwise at US$0.005 per point. A busier day at work and relying on past years' precedent where the IHG offers didn't sell out well into the Daily Getaways promo made me miss out this time.

Originally Posted by jpdx
IHG points can be insanely good value these days, especially if you're US-based and hold the Chase credit cards that give 4th night free and 10% points rebate.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 9:21 pm

Oh, I concur and hold both Chase cards for the 10% rebate and 4th night free myself! That was really why I had planned (not too well however) a pre-emptive purchase to get around the annual points purchase limits because I certainly make use of the recurring sales IHG does otherwise at US$0.005 per point. A busier day at work and relying on past years' precedent where the IHG offers didn't sell out well into the Daily Getaways promo made me miss out this time.
Curious which Chase credit cards offer 4th night free? Also haven't heard of Chase doing rebates (I know a Citi Rewards+ card can give 10% points back when transferring to partners).
Old Jun 16, 2023, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by tyc3149
Curious which Chase credit cards offer 4th night free?
All Chase IHG credit cards offer this benefit.
SPN Lifer and tyc3149 like this.
Old Jun 17, 2023, 12:39 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Hilton points have been credited sometime in the last 24h.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 6:52 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
And the original Chase IHG Select credit card (no longer available for new applicants) grants the 10% rebate on points used for award nights.

Originally Posted by tyc3149
Curious which Chase credit cards offer 4th night free? Also haven't heard of Chase doing rebates (I know a Citi Rewards+ card can give 10% points back when transferring to partners).
Originally Posted by jbrowning
All Chase IHG credit cards offer this benefit.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 11:20 am

choice points purchase

Was able to get 4 of the lowest offer (14K points)
nothing else is available.

And I was on at 12:59 pm
Old Jun 19, 2023, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by writetorich

I am nursing what may be the last one or two of those 14k packages.

Within the first minute, every package except the 14ks seemed to have been taken into at least one basket already. Some got released later, but this was the fastest I’ve seen the lots locked up in a basket when it comes to Choice packages.

At around 1:38pm NYC time, a first offer had sold out. At around 1:45-1:48pm a second offer had sold out. By 1:54-1:56pm the third offer had sold out.

The remaining 14k offer is still tied up at 2:16pm with one package nursed by me and perhaps a couple of others being nursed by some other(s) still. But they’ve been as good as locked up since at least 1:30pm or so except for the re-released.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 19, 2023 at 12:20 pm
Old Jun 19, 2023, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by writetorich

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I am nursing what may be the last one or two of those 14k packages.

Within the first minute, every package except the 14ks seemed to have been taken into at least one basket already. Some got released later, but this was the fastest I’ve seen the lots locked up in a basket when it comes to Choice packages.

At around 1:38pm NYC time, a first offer had sold out. At around 1:45-1:48pm a second offer had sold out. By 1:54-1:56pm the third offer had sold out.

The remaining 14k offer is still tied up at 2:16pm with one package nursed by me and perhaps a couple of others being nursed by some other(s) still. But they’ve been as good as locked up since at least 1:30pm or so except for the re-released.
am i the only one completely shocked and confused by this purchasing frenzy behavior? not just choice pts. we talking ALL packages that get nuked like taylor swift era tix. makes no sense. all prior years, we would still see plenty IHG and HH. its almost like a broker is purchasing these via bot. this doesnt make sense. i suspect something is up. i havent been able to load up on anything this year.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 6:12 pm
Suspended

I wish I could say I’m shocked by what’s going on, but I am convinced that “Deal hunting for travel space savings may be in overdrive along with the revenge travel spending still going on in the country for those who did way better than average during the pandemic.”

It doesn’t help when an offer has “a lot fewer packages than it has had in prior years”. I will try for the Hyatt ones, but I’m betting that I catch zero on that.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I wish I could say I’m shocked by what’s going on, but I am convinced that “Deal hunting for travel space savings may be in overdrive along with the revenge travel spending still going on in the country for those who did way better than average during the pandemic.”

It doesn’t help when an offer has “a lot fewer packages than it has had in prior years”. I will try for the Hyatt ones, but I’m betting that I catch zero on that.
but i would have expected similar purchasing behavior in the past. this year is truly unprecedented. everything is being sold out ASAP like a broadway show. not to mention, i had expected hospitality companies to raise capital from nothing via selling even more pts and packages then devalue given our current economic climate. but they are offering less. im confused.
progapanda likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 12:52 pm

No I was thinking the same. Just crazy and taking all the fun and usefulness out of it. Only thing I can say is whoever/whatever is buying everything seems to be too stupid to realize what is a good deal and what isn't

Originally Posted by GundamWing01
am i the only one completely shocked and confused by this purchasing frenzy behavior? not just choice pts. we talking ALL packages that get nuked like taylor swift era tix. makes no sense. all prior years, we would still see plenty IHG and HH. its almost like a broker is purchasing these via bot. this doesnt make sense. i suspect something is up. i havent been able to load up on anything this year.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm wondering if Daily Getaways is just buying the Hyatt points at the regular price and selling them at a lower cost just to keep some of us paying attention. That would explain the basically useless quantities.

Feels like just a way to dump extra amusement park and Vegas inventory this year.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by gil123
No I was thinking the same. Just crazy and taking all the fun and usefulness out of it. Only thing I can say is whoever/whatever is buying everything seems to be too stupid to realize what is a good deal and what isn't
exactly. i did a double take and started reading blogs/reddit and doing my own math for cents per pt calculation to verify i didnt miss some insane deal cuz i was so confused. doesnt look like anyone else in the comments section noticed anything because they prob didnt even care.

wyndham and BW are coming up. if those get nuked in a few seconds, we know something doesnt smell right. maybe some broker bot just buying everything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.