Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travelers Advantage

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2000, 12:24 am
Original Poster

Travelers Advantage

Has anybody tried this travel club? They seem to promise a minimum of 5% rebate on flight, hotel and car reservation (not very impressive), and also a large number of discounted hotels (50% off rack rate?). The hotel feature may be good if it is indeed as promised... Does anyone know if they handle hotels in Europe? Do the hotel programs award points on the rates negotiated by Travelers Advantage?

Thanks for any info on this subject.
Old Feb 9, 2000, 3:14 am

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
I used it years ago and finally gave up. The 5% sounds great but (at least for me) is way more of a hassle than it's worth.

WHY? I would find myself wasting half an hour on the phone with one of their reps so I could book a particular rate with a hotel or rental car company that would've taken less than a minute if I'd booked it myself. You'd have to force them to hunt for particular rates, which would often mean putting you on hold while they called the company directly. Numerous times I would also be conveniently disconnected during the process.

But that's just the beginning. After the journey is complete, you have to mail in a copy of your receipt along with their itinerary confirmation. Then you get to wait...

Naturally, individual results may vary. If you decide to try it out, just be sure to signup through Cybergold so you'll get $5.
Old Feb 9, 2000, 7:42 am
Original Member

I've used it for 3 years, and will admit the program comes with some goods and some bads.

Bads:
1. If you don't set up a "profile" with all your info, they will direct you to a clueless rep who has to record all of your personal info on every call.
2. Although 24 hour service, calling outside of normal business hours is futile.
3. You have to make copies of receipts (for those of us who have to do it anyway for expenses, no big deal).
4. The rep you get is random. Sometimes, they will make the effort and find an amazing rate, other times they just won't try.
5. $60 a year (but see #1 on goods).
6. Be sure to put separate reservations on separate record locators. I have cancelled one piece (like a hotel one week) and they cancelled other reservations (hotel the following week on same res #). Yikes!
7. The 50% hotel deal is useful if you like to stay at Comfort Inns, etc. I've tried it at Hyatts, etc in the book and most of the time they laugh at me (but it has worked).

Goods:
1. 5% rebate. Say what you want, but the sight of a $400 tax-free check in a good travel month still brings tears to my eyes. My running total is about $6000-7000 in rebates in 3 years. That's some good drinking money.
2. With a profile and an idea of what you want, reservations can be really quick. I will often book a whole month of travel at one time. It takes 20 minutes, and I'm $400 richer.
3. Because they are a sub of Cendant, they get some amazing rental car deals. I've driven out of large city airports at $20 a day for a big car.
4. You get full points and miles with their rates.

Like anything travel-related, it's hit-and-miss. For simple high-priced reservations, it's quick and profitable. For something complex, you probably know more than the rep. I would give you my name and ID# as a referral, but they have never paid me for the other 3 referrals I sent over.

Good luck!
Old Feb 9, 2000, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I gave up on these jokers about 8 months ago after they charged the yearly fee twice "in order to serve you better". It took 3 calls to clear it up before I finally said cancel. It seems they have too much personnel turnover, lack of experience and their time to book anything is way too lengthy.

I did get many $$ checks from the 5% rebate over the years, but it finally became a pain to gather up all data to submit what they already had on file. Also 2-3 years ago they actually had very good car and hotel rates. Now their car rates are almost twice what I can get through Costco.

My advise is to save your money and avoid any company that automatically charges your credit card fees "in order to serve you better". Not a good (read legitimate) business practice IMHO.

ps: Bestfares.com has the same practice and I dropped them too for the same reasons
Old Feb 9, 2000, 11:25 am

I have to agree with MisterNice. I've tried travelers advantage and bestfares.com. Got the rebates (eventually), but it wasn't worth the hassle or annual fees. HOWEVER, if you push a lot of business through them and don't mind the hassles you can get some nice checks - like Tino is.

Note - travelers advantage will allow you to book your own travel (still getting the rebate) at their online site http://www.travelersadvantage.com/ which might reduce the hassle factor.
Old Feb 9, 2000, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Well, thank you so much everyone for all this info! I'll check their website, but from what most of you are saying, it sounds like I might be better off without them.
Old Feb 9, 2000, 2:30 pm

There is another service out there just like Travelers Advantage, but better. It has the same good stuff/bad stuff (including the 5% rebate) but it is a lot more convenient.

They are called Travel Arragements, at www.travel-arrangements.com

When you sign up, you get a "Rewards Booklet," with the following coupons:

1) Good $$ off AA ticket. Can be combined with the VolumeBuy stuff.
2) Ok $$ off CO ticket. Not valid from hubs.
3) $50 off Funjet Vacation, no price minimum.
4) $$ of AA Vacation.
5) Various cruise upgrade and $$ off.
6) Contract numbers and coupons with major car companies.

THE BEST PART ABOUT THE COUPONS: You can use them AS MANY TIMES AS YOU WANT!!! No limit!! They have an unlimited stock of these in their offices and easily apply one to your ticket. And, you don't have to book the travel through them to use the coupon.

EVEN BETTER PERK: The 5% rebate is AUTOMATICALLY credited to your credit card that you desginate!!!!! No BS with the forms, saving boarding passes, folios, rental agreements and waiting for a check!! You get the rebate when using VolumeBuy certs and coupons too!

AND: FREE enrollment in all of the preferred renter programs (Hertz #1 Club Gold, National Emerald Club, Avis Preferred, etc)

They also have a message service through a 800 number where you can leave messages for people and vice versa when on the road. Very cool and useful.

You can enroll at their website for $70/year, but if you go to FreeShop, it's only $62, billed $5.95 monthly. OR, 800-455-2399.

They don't give a referral fee, though.

[This message has been edited by Tute84 (edited 02-09-2000).]
Old Feb 9, 2000, 4:51 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you do want to try this TA service, you should probably just do a "trial" via www.freeride.com and get 500 points for your trouble.

If not yet a member of Freeride, just sign in and use my username "mwatson37" as a referral, if you like. You'll be on your way to free $20. Marriott hotel or $25 American Airline gift certificates!

FWIW, in response to honu below, I gave TA a try a few years ago, but am not the type to do all the paperwork and follow up so I did not renew. I think it depends on the individual personality. If I were a student, though, I'd do it for sure. And the 500 points is a great deal!

[This message has been edited by doc (edited 02-09-2000).]
Old Feb 9, 2000, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Doc, I did sign up for freeride a few days ago (thanks to a post of yours), and I used your name as referral. I was thinking of checking out Travelers Advantage because I notice them on freeride. com. Did you actually sign up for their services (TA's I mean)?
Old Feb 9, 2000, 10:20 pm

I went to sign up for travel-arrangements at freeshop.com. the monthly fee is now $6.95 a month! looks like they caught on to the lower rate. I use Travelers Advantage, I went to go cancel and they gave me two $30 off coupons the next time I book travel thru them....good on anything.That alone paid for the annual fee!
Old Feb 10, 2000, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally posted by doc:
If you do want to try this TA service, you should probably just do a "trial" via www.freeride.com and get 500 points for your trouble.
As mentioned earlier, a better method of joining is through Cybergold since you'll get $5 rather than points that you have to cash our for gift certificates. Visit http://www.cybergold.com/earn/sports1.html . While there, you can also sign up for a free trial of Travel Arrangements and get $5 as well.

If you haven't used Cybergold before (I've been using it for 28 months), it's really easy since you earn cold hard cash rather than points. You then transfer the money to a VISA free of charge, donate it to a charity, or transfer to a checking account. There's no minimum to transfer, so if you've earned 25¢ (which you can do just for visiting certain websites), you can cash out.

Unlike MyPoints and FreeRide, however, there is no referral program...yet.
Old Feb 11, 2000, 12:11 am
Original Poster

Carl,

thanks for the info about Cybergold; I will check them out (but I've already signed up for a trial membership w/TA through freeride.com).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.