Reload this Page >

30K AAdvantage for Citi checking account

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

30K AAdvantage for Citi checking account

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:27 pm

I called in and asked the agent to give me code for the 50k miles, which she did (4BDG6DPHYB). However the 50k offer was only for citi priority account that has a min account balance of $50,000 to avoid a $30 monthly maintenance fee and you need to spend $750 with the debit card in 60 days and two months of online bill pay.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
I applied on the 20th, still nothing in the mail. Anyone else?
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:27 am

i have received all of my stuff; account is set up and running; i haven't deposited anything into it yet. However - i did contact them to make sure my AA number was on their file; nowhere in the process was i asked to submit it; when i contacted the CSR Chat line; they said it was on my profile (which I doubted); but she asked for it anyways....
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:22 am

Same for me. I opened the account 10/19, received the card in about a week, spent the required amount then called customer service to verify I was registered for the AA award, since nowhere in the process had I been asked for an AAdvantage number. They said their records did not show me registered for any promotion but they talked to someone and eventually said I was now registered. I gave them my AAdvantage number so hopefully I will receive the miles.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 5:38 pm

More links to the offer are here:
Free Frequent Flyer Miles
This is troubling:

"There has been a lot of publicity about Citibank sending out a 1099 for their value of AA miles given for opening an account (2.5 cents/mile!) The IRS has made at least one statement that this is correct for bank account bonuses (but not credit card bonuses). I have heard that they have changed their minds on this, but be sure to ask."

Does anyone have experience with Citibank's 1099's and taxation on valuations?

Last edited by Long Zhiren; Nov 8, 2018 at 5:40 pm Reason: need to make cut-and-paste quotations clear
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:48 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by prpilot17
I called in and asked the agent to give me code for the 50k miles, which she did (4BDG6DPHYB). However the 50k offer was only for citi priority account that has a min account balance of $50,000 to avoid a $30 monthly maintenance fee and you need to spend $750 with the debit card in 60 days and two months of online bill pay.
Thank you,
Perfect timing.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:35 pm

interest or no interest account?

When you click the link, you are given the option of regular or interest-bearing accounts, but I don't see any explanation of how they differ (other than the obvious interest). Are both of them eligible for the 30K? Has anyone seen information about this? Thanks!
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
Originally Posted by boboqui

Nothing is easy with citibank. Be prepared to waste a lot of time and to have your patience tested.
I recently tried to do a checking account cash bonus and I ended up not getting it. Over the course of about 3 months I spend many hours on the phone and it was just not worth it for me. If you have a Citi branch in your state this would likely be much easier process. It took so long to get the account fully opened and online access setup so I could transfer my funds I miss the 30 money requirement. I had them open a case to the marketing/promo group to make an exception but it got declined.

I would also expect to pay taxes on 30k AA miles.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by boboqui

Nothing is easy with citibank. Be prepared to waste a lot of time and to have your patience tested.
That's for sure. Citicard bonus miles post like clock work. Citibank never fails to disappoint. I had to resort to a complaint to the CFPB to get my bonus last year.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Can't say I wasn't warned. After some wrestling, bonus confirmation letter finally posted in my account. Even their own employees do not seem to understand why the denial at first.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:13 am

My miles for this posted today. Opened up the account without even going to the branch; deposited a check via the app, and spent the required amount. I followed up with them to check status and everything looked good. They said miles post roughly a month after the 90 day period.
total out out of pocket costs $0.0

would def do it again; just be patient though
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium
My miles posted, open in late nov, spend min in dec
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:03 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Wolfgang5150
My miles for this posted today. Opened up the account without even going to the branch; deposited a check via the app, and spent the required amount. I followed up with them to check status and everything looked good. They said miles post roughly a month after the 90 day period.
total out out of pocket costs $0.0

would def do it again; just be patient though
Thanks. I am awaiting bonus 30K miles. I completed the same requirements. There was no min deposit requirement as some other posters mentioned. No monthly service fee either. Seems like an awfully good deal.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 5:01 pm

I received my bonus in Feb. Would it be okay to close the account now? I am afraid that Citi might forfeit the miles.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium
Appears they are offering this promo again with a $400 spend instead of $375

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.