Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Biz to First upgrade - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2000, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Biz to First upgrade - worth it?

OK, I posted this on the AA board; then thought about it and figured it applied to several airlines. What's the concensus for whether or not it is 'worth it' to spend 20K miles for an upgrade from Biz to 1st? My particular case - flying AA 777 ORD-LHR-ORD.

Do any of y'all go the miles upgrade route? Or just figure that biz is 'good enough' and hope for a comp to first?

Cheers,

'toad
Old Jan 11, 2000, 5:15 pm

Programs: AC SE, SPG P
IMHO it is not worth the upgrade. Those points are equal to a free flight! Just think: do you prefer to fly in luxury or to visit a long lost friend for free?
Old Jan 11, 2000, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Biz has gotten pretty nice on most airlines these days, and is most likely "enough" in most cases. But if the diff is only 20,000 miles and/or I'm taking a special someone along, 20,000 is sure worth it to sit in the lap of luxury, IMHO.
Old Jan 11, 2000, 6:26 pm

Myself, I'd say business is "good enuf". But, similarly to questions of "how much $ would you spend on...", I think it comes down to a question of relativity. If you've got 400-500K in miles banked - 20k for a little comfort ain't gonna make you blink. If it's your last 20K (and no immediate potential to earn more miles), then you might think twice.
Old Jan 11, 2000, 6:27 pm
Original Member

If it's a free award, I always pay the extra 20K miles to get FC. But I don't use miles to upgrade from paid biz to FC.
Old Jan 11, 2000, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
This is definitely a case where, "Whatever you believe is right, is right".

For me, sometimes I care enough to upgrade and sometimes I don't. On free trips to Europe, sometimes 1st is very nice and sometimes the top deck is a lot more fun (especially coming home). I am specifically flying coach on an upcoming cross country trip just because I want to try the new UAL Premier Zone.

I spend enough time crammed into tiny little commuter planes to know for sure that coach won't kill me, but by the Grace of God and Good Planning, I can make my decisions based on my mood without a lot of impact on my Mileage Account balance.
Old Jan 11, 2000, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
For me, it depends on your travel habits. I always choose to upgrade to 1st. I have plenty of miles and have no use for personal travel since I do so darn much biz travel.

If you fly a lot, you really appreciate 1st class. If you don't fly a lot, it's not that important.

If you fly on some airlines, 1st class is a private bed which makes all the difference in the world to me.
Old Jan 11, 2000, 10:44 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
If you're upgrading on AA - don't bother - their service is awful in both classes.

If it's on BA - do it - as you're likely to be treated like scum.
Old Jan 11, 2000, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
As someone who has NEVER flown a paid business class ticket, and who has only flown in international first class once (they needed the space in biz to try and seat a whole family together), I would no. However, if I had a zillion extra miles in the account, I would do so b/c the marginal cost would be insignificant. However, personally, the difference between coach and biz is much larger than biz and first and so I for the extra miles I would need for a 1st class award ticket vs. a biz class award ticket, I would save the extra miles and use them towards a future biz class award/upgrade.
Old Jan 12, 2000, 6:44 am
geo1004

Toad- keep your 20K. You're talking about an 8 hour flight here. The difference on AA between biz and FC isn't worth it. If this were a 12-14 hour flight to Australia or South Africa, well... save your miles for FC on one of the TRUE long haul routes. JMHO

Old Jan 12, 2000, 6:47 am
geo1004

I changed my mind!!! Do it!!! Live the life of luxury!!! Have a glass of champagne! You only live once and you can't take your miles with you...
GO FOR IT. TOAD IN FIRST, TOAD IN FIRST!!!

(sorry for the mood swing, I forgot my little yellow pill at home this morning)

[This message has been edited by geo1004 (edited 01-12-2000).]

Old Jan 12, 2000, 8:19 am

I recently traveled in paid business on UA on a flight that I knew had First Suites... it was too much, I couldn't resist. I had to spend the 25K (it was from asia to the US) for an upgrade from business to first 10 hour flight. My other thought was: "who knows when I will get to fly international first again? Live for the moment".

The verdict: nicer champagne, nicer glasses, nice flat bed, somewhat better food. Not worth 25K miles over business. I heartily agree with the other posters that say the difference between coach and business is many times the difference between business and coach (despite the difference in miles it takes to upgrade between the two, due to the number of seats in each). I really have plenty of room in most international business seats, and I have trouble sleeping on most flights for more than an hour or so, so the difference in seat (as long as the business seat has a footrest), isn't really going to enhance my sleeping ability. Both seats have EmPower jacks on UA. In business on some carriers (such as SQ), the seat is motorized as well, so you may get close to the same comfort as you would, if you don't mind limited recline.
Yes, you get more aggressive service in first (people doting a bit more), but I have had just as aggressive of service in business. And as for the food - first of all, it's a short part of your triep. But it's really not that much better than the already premium stuff they serve in business. You're eating on china with cloth napkins either way.
Old Jan 12, 2000, 8:30 am
Original Poster

I'm going to do it! I had forgotten about AA's Europe bonus; so my paid biz ticket will get me 10K bonus miles - effectively making the upgrade to 1st cost 10k miles. Can't beat that with a stick.

Cheers,

'toad
Old Jan 12, 2000, 10:10 am

Location: Southern California - UA1K, Delta GM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
Good job! If you never flown first.. do it... I am flying a short haul (LAX-ORD) today, but changed it to LAX-DEN-ORD to fly a 747 (believe it or not.. never flown in one,only 767, 777)...and upgraded to business so I can fly upstairs on a 747... I am not doing it for better comfort,etc... just the experience... miles are there to use.. so I am deciding to have some fun with an upgrade...

Enjoy you flight in Int First
Old Jan 12, 2000, 11:36 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I fly CO which only has 2 classes, so it depends on my ticket. (I also have lots & lots of miles). If an upgradable international ticket is only slightly higher than the sale prices--I'll go for using mileage. I've also lucked out using cheap fares and being upgraded at the gate due to a very full coach area. On a short overseas trip (ie. Ireland)--I'm satisfied with a good window bulkhead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.