Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earning miles in Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:08 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Star Alliance Gold
Been doing this for more than 10 years in Switzerland. Here are some options:

1. Miles and more cards from Swiss. I use Amex frequesntly, 9/10 not a problem.
2. Coop shopping
3. www.Die-weingalerie.ch if you need to buy wines. Often I get 2500 miles / carton. This adds up fast.
4. Hotel booking for non chain hotels through Swiss website.
5. Check out Miles and more shopping promotions if you actually need something that is on sale.

PS: Booking economy with miles and more is a waste of miles and money. They add a big fee. Book business and look for special fares, often at 50% discount (eg 50000 miles return business fares to USA in LX or LH).

For depositing miles for flights with Swiss / Lufthansa, I use another Star Alliance partner that is much easier for keeping the gold level (mainly for Senator Lounges in Europe). I don't fly United to USA but sometimes take other SA partners to Asia.

For USA and other trips I use Delta / Air France / KLM and bank miles with Delta.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 2:55 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The Coop trophy is a M&M mile generator: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss...ccumulate.html
Old Jun 21, 2017, 5:57 pm

Programs: M&M FF, Avios, Virgin, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
EBAY:
Another tip is to use this link to buy anything from ebay as you get miles directly :

http://www.miles-and-more.com/online...-partner--ebay

unless you have Payback.de and they have a 10 x points deal with ebay (1payback point = 1 M&M m iles)
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:13 pm
formerly maskelo

I would probably go for a Miles & More credit card if I lived in Switzerland again, gives you enough option and good connections.

Unless you are closer to the French border and can take flights from France instead saving on paid tickets...In that case I would try a card I could transfer to Flying Blue/Sky team
Old Jun 25, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold / MnM FF
Cornercard could be a good option

Been a long time reader but my first time sticking my nose in.

I also live in Switzerland and collect Avios, as I travel back to London every few weeks.

Avios are not easy to collect, although a BA cornercard (Mastercard) is available for swiss residents. Decent sign up bonus is also available.

I agree, Amex sign up offers seem rather tight fisted.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:08 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
I am a US citizen, living in Switzerland for work and I may be here for a few more years.

I've been using my US based cards to earn Chase UR and Citi TY points. Is this the best approach or should I convert to M&M points?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:04 pm

The chase Ur has no foreign transaction fees believe so I would continue using that as it's very flexible and costs nothing. All the M&M cards available in switzerland have terrible foreign transaction fees so pretty much useless while traveling (I still use them because I'm a mile addict and don't have access to such cards as the chase sapphire). I would still order the M&M cards though to get the welcome bonus then cancel the cards. ( swisscard and corner card both offer M&M cards and have welcome bonuses so getting both would be lucrative).

On another note for 300 measly superpoints you can get excellent value discounts on a variety of activities in switzerland including half price entrance to Aqua basilea and a few other things. Order the bonheft (coupon book) for 300 and get discounts to all the listed places
https://www.supercard.ch/de/sommer-bonheft.html

Last edited by Doolyb; Jun 29, 2017 at 6:06 pm Reason: Additional info
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses all, there was hardly any info on earning miles in Switzerland so it's been quite helpful. So overall, its worth getting miles and more then?
Old Sep 4, 2017, 6:20 pm

I would say yes as it's possible to earn without flying. And if you also go shopping in Germany get the payback card. Payback points can be changed directly one to one to miles and more. So either be lazy and collect miles at coop or be cheap and collect miles at Rewe (almost always 10x points per euro) and other shops in Germany. Either way a year of smart shopping will get you nice bank of miles and who doesn't need food anyway?!
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:44 am

Programs: M&M, FlyingBlue, IHG, SPG, Accor
Has anyone tried converting Bonviva(Credit Suisse) or UBS loyalty points to Miles & More account of another person? Do the names have to match, or they are like COOP points and you can transfer Bonviva points to Swiss & LH miles for anyone? I've called Miles & More support and Bonviva support; neither knows exactly. Thanks in advance for advice.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 4:14 am

If you cash in your superpoints for miles today you get an extra 555 superpoints added to your account. Works for anything bought with superpoints but I'm guessing we are all only interested in miles!
Old Jan 26, 2018, 4:43 am

For any wine lovers out there it's 10 x miles (10miles/CHF) on orders over 300.- and free delivery until the end of this week. Nothing for me as I don't drink wine and know nothing about it but if you are going to buy some anyway might be worth the points
https://www.coopathome.ch/en/miles_and_more
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:46 am

33% bonus miles and more when transferring from super card.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Doolyb
On another note for 300 measly superpoints you can get excellent value discounts on a variety of activities in switzerland including half price entrance to Aqua basilea and a few other things. Order the bonheft (coupon book) for 300 and get discounts to all the listed places
https://www.supercard.ch/de/sommer-bonheft.html
Thank you for the tip, I did not know about that. I will make use of this coupon book.

I would say yes as it's possible to earn without flying. And if you also go shopping in Germany get the payback card. Payback points can be changed directly one to one to miles and more. So either be lazy and collect miles at coop or be cheap and collect miles at Rewe (almost always 10x points per euro) and other shops in Germany. Either way a year of smart shopping will get you nice bank of miles and who doesn't need food anyway?!
Keep in mind that in Germany you mostly only get one point per two euros in most of the shops. So it is not such a good deal as one might think. The only way forward is by using multi points coupons where possible.

33% bonus miles and more when transferring from super card.
With this one right now I am totally stuck. I am in Dubai and I can’t sign into my COOP account, nothing seems to work. I suppose I could call the customer service, but I can’t really be bothered right now. Wrote enough about this elsewhere, so I’m verging on crossposting here!

Last edited by Concerto; Oct 9, 2018 at 6:46 am Reason: typo
Old Sep 12, 2019, 2:28 am

You can't connect to Supercard website if your IP isn't showing as CH or one of the neighbouring countries! Had to use a VPN to access from the uk or Spain for example.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.