Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where are you staying Q4?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2015, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Where are you staying Q4?

Various hotel promos have people going different directions this fall; but I am wondering what people are building point totals in?

Despite Marriott/SPG's promotion right now, I have been staying at Hyatt hotels (Securing Diamond status) - and just building points as it is the program I have the least in.

After this - I will do 2 weeks in SPG hotels, then probably switch back and forth between Marriott/Hyatt for the remainder of 2016.

I am just debating if I shouldn't be considering SPG for a 3rd week - instead of staying an additional 5 nights at Hyatt (will have at least 57 nights in Hyatt vs. 80 in SPG). I don't see any way to making it to Plat 100 - although the 2X points + 500 points is really a lucrative deal it seems?!
Old Oct 10, 2015, 11:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
As this isn't specific to the Information Desk we'll move this thread.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Oct 11, 2015, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It depends if you're reimbursed or if it's out of your pocket, doesn't it?

For me, given that I'm out of pocket and price sensitive, where I need to stay SPG and Hyatt are too expensive (compared to others), so ignore them. I'm pushing most of my Marriott stays out until after Nov 11, so that I can just max out the 30 nights in my MegaBonus promo, while using Choice (2 cheap one-night stays gets 8000 points) a lot until that promo ends on Nov 11. I'm also sprinkling in some La Qunita one-night stays for the 1000 (total) UA miles promo there through the end of the year.

(I have over 800k HHonors points from churning Citi HH Visa until the game stopped this summer, so I don't need to earn any more of that either.)

Oh, and I have to do one IHG stay somewhere in there to earn 35k or so bonus points, by completing 3 different tasks with 1 stay for my custom Accelerate promo there.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I've spent most of the year chasing promos. I need 1 more IHG stay to complete their Accelerate promo, but besides that, I'm not seeing any other promos that are (1) achievable for me, (2) within budget, and (3) generous enough to make me change plans.

And since I haven't been loyal to any one chain this year so far, I'm too far away from renewing status at Hyatt or Marriott.

I've probably got 3 more hotel stays before year end, so I'm actually going to decide simply on the best combination of location, price, and quality - regardless of brand.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 2:38 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Also chasing promos here. Topping off points with multiple programs based on best value.
  • Made a weekend stay with IHG that satisfies 3 tasks in the Accelerate program and will net me about 50k points total from that and spend.
  • Making occasional stays at HH for their 2x/3x bonus-- but only when they're comparable in price to their competitors.
  • Not pursuing the Choice 2 nights/8k promo because I don't foresee worthwhile redemptions with them given my travel pattern.
  • Thought I'd sit out from MR in Q4 since my MegaBonus offer requires 15 nights for the first bonus-- but then I had an unanticipated need to spend at least 9 nights near a familiar and comfortable MR hotel that's currently priced competitively (sometimes it isn't), so I'll see if I can make enough other stays with MR before Jan 15 to hit the MegaBonus.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Already requalified for Hyatt Diamond, so remainder of 2015 stays going to SPG for their targeted promo.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Already requalified for Hyatt Diamond, so remainder of 2015 stays going to SPG for their targeted promo.
I got some stays in places where SPG doesn't exist, so I am wondering if it isn't time to consider IHG Accelerate. 44.9k points for 11 nights stay + stay once.

Or consider Marriott's 2x points up to 20k points (after your second stay).
Old Oct 19, 2015, 9:24 pm

Programs: Southwest, American, HHonors Diamond, IHG Gold, BW Diamond, Choice Platinum, SPG, Wyndham Gold
Q4 stats

Finishing up the last points tonight that I needed for a 5 night redemption with Wyndham in Feb/March, have to lock it in when the points post. Another stay with Choice by Nov 12th, to get another 8,000 towards a long term redemption goal summer '17. I haven't stayed with them much lately. One more with IHG to finish my accelerate, GF needs 2 more also for a trip she can take with me. Looks like 1 with BW to take advantage of the app booking bonus, maybe a 2nd stay to get the $25 card and another 1k. And then I just got a targeted 2 stays get 2 nights by Jan 31st from SPG last night! So that's my next roughly 7 or 8 nights, promo/point chasing. I expect about that for work by the end of the year, and maybe a weekend getaway. So, it should line up about right, if not, the SPG can be pushed back to Jan. Maybe Hilton if I have a couple nights extra, there is one that I travel by all the time that is a great value with MVP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.