Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Most unusual ways to earn miles?

Old Aug 10, 15, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Plat, AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat Prem

What are some of the more unusual ways to earn frequent flyer miles?

I know there were some Bosley hair and LASIK consultations. Qantas just announced miles for gym memberships. What are some of the other wacky options that have been out there over time (not necessarily still current).
Old Aug 10, 15, 4:05 pm

Programs: none
Pudding!
Old Aug 10, 15, 6:50 pm

Pudding?? As in American pudding or the English pudding?
Inquiring minds want to know
Old Aug 10, 15, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Test drives of cars (both AA at least once or twice and BA at least once in the past 15 years). Listening to new Bose systems in showrooms (AA at least once in the past 10 years).
Old Aug 10, 15, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pdbphoto View Post
Pudding?? As in American pudding or the English pudding?
Inquiring minds want to know
The Pudding Guy earned 1.25 million miles just buying Healthy Choice brand prapackaged pudding (like there was no end in sight) on a promo:

http://www.flyertalk.com/pudding.htm

(Many other write-ups about the same story can be found by googling "the pudding guy".)
Old Aug 10, 15, 6:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Pudding Guy

http://gizmodo.com/how-an-engineer-e...ing-1339646546
Old Aug 10, 15, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
The Pudding Guy earned 1.25 million miles just buying Healthy Choice brand prapackaged pudding (like there was no end in sight) on a promo:

http://www.flyertalk.com/pudding.htm

(Many other write-ups about the same story can be found by googling "the pudding guy".)
Sheesh! And I missed it.
Old Aug 10, 15, 7:48 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...different.html
Old Aug 10, 15, 9:01 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

Accor had a promotion last year, earn 10,000 points each time you stay at any Accor property worldwide.

10,000 Accor= 10,000 Iberia avios.
1 night in Bangkok= $30

Had a friend stay at various Bangkok Accor properties 25+ nights :-)
Old Aug 11, 15, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pdbphoto View Post
Sheesh! And I missed it.
Everybody missed it in that sense. Ie, The Pudding Guy is famous because he's the only one who took advantage of that promo to that degree. That promo was avialable to many other people at the same time (years ago), but no one else thought to take it to that extreme. Most people just bought the amount of pudding they needed for themselves. But it wouldn't have become a famous promo "for all eternity" had The Pudding Guy not taken it to that extreme.
Old Aug 11, 15, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Everybody missed it in that sense. Ie, The Pudding Guy is famous because he's the only one who took advantage of that promo to that degree. That promo was avialable to many other people at the same time (years ago), but no one else thought to take it to that extreme. Most people just bought the amount of pudding they needed for themselves. But it wouldn't have become a famous promo "for all eternity" had The Pudding Guy not taken it to that extreme.
I remember reading about the promo but not finding the particular pudding packs that were most useful and just giving up on it. Given his success, I should have tried to be more diligent in the next big opportunity, but I wasn't. I guess it takes a certain mindset.
Old Aug 13, 15, 1:45 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Paying my wife's speeding tickets with a CC.... Helps reduce my frustration about it.
Old Aug 13, 15, 9:01 pm

Just did a tour of Old San Juan, PR with a large group. Spend $500.00 or more with Viator (tour arranged through them) and get one mile per $ spent. Miles have not posted yet. The website says 4-6 weeks to post. http://www.viator.com/earn-miles
They credit to United or Americans FF program.

Riding a Segway for miles works as my most unusual so far.

Last edited by dphmicn; Aug 13, 15 at 9:03 pm Reason: added info; added website
Old Aug 15, 15, 4:48 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum
I think going in for a Bosley consultation is up there...Bosley is the company that promises to get you hair on your bald head. I forgot how many miles it was for, 20k? Full disclosure: I still have a FULL body of hair on my head Ever since I get snail mail from Bosley!

Dumpster diving at Wendy's also comes to mind too.

Oh, in a Blues Angels air show the place was full of Coke caps, back in the day when the Coke rewards points were useful...Me and son went to work and left with full bags...not saying how many to preserve my stellar reputation lol.

I also got some miles for giving Northwest a suggestion to fix the darn oxygen mask mechanism to deploy properly as I was the only one without it while everyone else was screaming and breathing it in on a flight somewhere over the ocean from Tokyo to Detroit...I could go on...
Old Aug 15, 15, 2:48 pm

Programs: UAL Silver Hilton Diamond Hyatt Plat
Booking my cruising activity thru airlines vacation/cruise portal. Normally would book directly with company but thru MP portal I usually get between 3-5 additional miles per dollar spent. Book with premium CC gets me an additional 1.5 miles. Price is competitive and even guaranteed so I feel good getting between 24,000-40,000 air miles per cruise. Helps with the Business Award tix I use to fly to/from.

Search this Thread