Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's your plan? Hoard miles or burn em if you got em?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's your plan? Hoard miles or burn em if you got em?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2014, 9:03 pm

Programs: Hy-Vee Fuel Saver
Our miles and points have unexpectedly increased in value so many times that I can't remember them all. Just a few: On the heels of the 1988 triple miles (and 1000 miles minimum per segment) craziness, Continental had a limited-time domestic award where three people could travel together for a total of 40000 miles. Last fall I stayed four nights in a perfectly-located hotel that had dropped from 15000 pts/night to 8000 pts/night earlier in the year. Several years ago, 80000 Starpoints could be converted to 200000 BA miles. When Carlson's credit card came out with last night free, the value of our points increased.

If I had burned miles and points beforehand, it wouldn't have been possible to take advantage of those generous redemptions. We always use miles and points whenever it makes sense to use them rather than pay cash, and we probably have fewer points and miles at this moment than we have had in many years because our best or most convenient travel options often don't earn miles or points. But we don't burn for the sake of burning.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 8:59 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by jandmmom
This...except the 1990s, not the 80s
I think she meant that she joined in the 90's, and follows the same pattern as the quote.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
I think she meant that she joined in the 90's, and follows the same pattern as the quote.
That is how I read it
Old Mar 2, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: Whatever you have, I have too.
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Ahh, now that makes much more sense, doesn't it!
Old Mar 2, 2014, 9:55 am

Binge and Burn

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
With the wave of devaluations going on across pretty much every program, what are you doing with your miles now? Trying to sit on a pile and hoard more for an aspirational trip, or burning them as fast as you can on future trips you may or may not take just to get them on the books? I have been trying to burn, burn, burn (which I successfully did with just about all my UA miles), but as a result, I have no time left to plug more trips in this year, and I'm worried other miles will be devalued before I can burn them.
Perhaps there's an analogy with money. Anone who would have saved £10 some 50 years ago might have neen considered prudent at the time, but what with inflation and the constant purring of the money printing presses, you might be lucky if its worth a decent cup of coffee today.

The concept of saving has long since flown the nest, replaced by the cuckoo of instant gratification.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 8:43 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
I'm not going to lie, I was a bit vindictive in burning some of my UA miles. I felt cheated by the massive devaluation, so I took every opportunity to stick it to UA, for example N.America to Europe in F was (I think the same price as N.America to Japan) or very close, so when I had to go to Europe, I'd tack on a stop in Japan for a few days just to make UA pay to fly me there and back.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
I personally feel that "burning" is too strong of a term, but I tend to use my miles whenever I get a decent real valuation (i.e.: I'll place a 1.5/2x premium on business/first, rather than the actual rates). Doing so this way, my combined balance doesn't go much higher than the 2-300k range.

I ended up using 400k United miles last year prior to devaluation, but that was due to some very good redemptions.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 9:42 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Burning them fast is ideal, but IMO if you're acquiring miles correctly, you'll have way more miles than you have time to make high-value redemptions.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I'm not going to lie, I was a bit vindictive in burning some of my UA miles. I felt cheated by the massive devaluation, so I took every opportunity to stick it to UA, for example N.America to Europe in F was (I think the same price as N.America to Japan) or very close, so when I had to go to Europe, I'd tack on a stop in Japan for a few days just to make UA pay to fly me there and back.
Sure let's stick it to someone who was very generous to us in the past. UA allowed crazy (and i mean really really crazy - just look at trip reports) routings for very low mileage what DL or AA never had to begin with...
Old Mar 3, 2014, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Tpa-flyer
Quote:

Originally Posted by jandmmom

This...except the 1990s, not the 80s

Tsk, tsk, tsk, Grasshopper. Best to check Wikipedia before expressing such confidence. For example, as regards IHG: "IHG Rewards Club is IHG's worldwide loyalty program, which replaced Priority Club Rewards in July 2013. The loyalty scheme was first introduced in 1983, and now has 74 million members around the world." Or, as regards DL SM: "When the frequent flyer program was first established in 1981, new members were awarded an enrollment bonus of 10,000 miles." I'll leave the others for you to research, but I assure you, that, yes, I am that old, and my memory goes back even farther than the '80's.
I meant starting in the 90s for ME you silly-goose, not the programs...I was practically still in diapers in 1980 just saying I use the same strategy as you do....plan, earn, burn, plan, earn, burn...rinse and repeat
Old Mar 3, 2014, 7:08 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Churn and burn!
Old Mar 7, 2014, 9:36 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I've already burned off pretty much everything I had. I don't plan to travel much this year but I'll earn a few miles via CCs and the like. I'll probably burn those as soon as I earn them too. It's not like they accrue interest.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 11:51 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Miles have never been a stable currency so I always try to burn at roughly the same rate as I earn (with enough saved for emergencies).

However the past couple of years I have been pushing for lifetime status on a couple of programs and so have not redeemed as many awards as I normally would and my current balances are higher than I'd like.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 3:22 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Miles have never been a stable currency so I always try to burn at roughly the same rate as I earn (with enough saved for emergencies).

However the past couple of years I have been pushing for lifetime status on a couple of programs and so have not redeemed as many awards as I normally would and my current balances are higher than I'd like.
There are some DL customers in the same sort of pickle. The cost of earning (higher) lifetime elite status with DL is rising there but it is cheaper to go for it now than later.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 3:48 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer

I'm in the exact same boat. Always have enough in reserve to get back Stateside if I need to, but I burn as soon as I get enough for 3 seats in J/F.

Last edited by GuyverII; Mar 9, 2014 at 12:03 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.