Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's your plan? Hoard miles or burn em if you got em?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's your plan? Hoard miles or burn em if you got em?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2014, 5:33 pm

I think there is a difference between hoarding and saving and it also depends on your family size. With a family of 4 you need to save alot of miles to take an international RT in BC or FC (400K+). So 400K is just saving for that situation but to a single person it may be in the hoarding range.

I do all 3: hoard, save and burn. I need a healthy balance for family trips in a cabin I am acustomed to traveling in, but I have no problem burning miles when the math works (ie don't burn miles when the ticket is $150)
Old Mar 9, 2014, 11:52 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by mileshound
I think there is a difference between hoarding and saving and it also depends on your family size. With a family of 4 you need to save alot of miles to take an international RT in BC or FC (400K+). So 400K is just saving for that situation but to a single person it may be in the hoarding range.
Very good point.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 2:25 am

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt GP Platinum, *wood Gold
Originally Posted by zgringo14
That is an interesting strategy. I mostly use my miles for the family summer vacation (4 people), but I have more miles than I need for that, so I was looking at some other ways to use them. I am always short on hotel points, so using them for hotels would be an attractive option, if the prices are right.
I should emphasize that this should not be tried by non-AA elites, because the mileage totals needed for hotel bookings are much higher.

Also, IME if you are also an elite with your chosen hotel's frequent stay program, you won't get credit for your stay paid with miles, but you are still eligible for space available upgrades and similar perks. So if you succeed in booking a 5-star hotel outside of your usual hotel program, you might check to see if you can get a status match from your chosen hotel's program in advance.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
Burning them fast is ideal, but IMO if you're acquiring miles correctly, you'll have way more miles than you have time to make high-value redemptions.

How does one acquire miles correctly in your opinion?
Old Mar 12, 2014, 2:05 pm

For a while I gathered up as many miles/points to some day use a few of them. Then a great discount from US Airways was offered where I received up to 30K miles back after spending 120K miles for North America-Europe(stopover)-Asia-Europe-North America. On the TATL return flight there were some unexpected inconveniences (i.e., the IFE in my J seat was broken), which was addressed by the airline compensating me with 10K miles.

With the recent merger of AA and US Airways, I believe there will be an award chart devaluation within a year. Earn and burn!
Old Mar 12, 2014, 5:11 pm

I use a combo strategy like a lot of you. I have a family of 4, so need to bank a significant amount of points for annual family trips - but I can fly coach at worst case, so need to keep 200K united or AA miles banked (I figure I can scrounge together another 40K if needed).

I also like to do an occasional splurge trip. For example a trip to Maldives with just my wife, but I'll end up burning 400K-500K miles for that. I don't mind burning that kind of mileage if I know I can get serious value out of it, IE it's a trip I really want to do, and I get at least a 1 cent per mile value out of it based on if I flew the cheapest option. IE flights in coach are $1600, so spending 140K miles to fly in Cathay First works out for 1.1 cents per mile, plus I get to sit in First. Goal of doing this once a year.

The remaining points I earn, I try to burn on random trips, which are 100% optional and if this whole miles game goes bust, I'd probably skip. The key is to focus on trips I can fund easily through good deals, IE 100K BA card gives my family of 4 an easy trip to Cabo (probably 2-3 seats with points, other 1-2 with $$$). These points I've also used to fly family around as well. Between my wife and I we accrue at least 1M points a year, so this budget is nearly 250K points a year.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 1:18 pm

I'm mixed, but fit the definition of a hoarder by FT standards. I do much of my earning via US cards etc like everyone else, but live offshore currently (not sure how long for so booking a year out not really practical). Wife and I have 4 kids also, so burning for every vaca during school holiday times not often possible under the circumstances.

We spend wherever possible- probably about half our travel costs get addressed with miles/points. But even so, we keep accruing...

We have about 4mil miles and points. I figure it's enabling travel we wouldn't have done and reducing the cost of travel we would have done anyhow. So I don't lose sleep over the fact that our balances are diminishing in value...

If you figure deflation across the board is 10% per annum (ie minus 400k pa in value of points for me currently), and we earn 1mil or so a year without too much effort, we're still well ahead of the game- especially when you consider we maintain the option of using just about any miles currency whenever an opportunity presents itself....
Old Mar 20, 2014, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by nextguest
I'm mixed, but fit the definition of a hoarder by FT standards. I do much of my earning via US cards etc like everyone else, but live offshore currently (not sure how long for so booking a year out not really practical). Wife and I have 4 kids also, so burning for every vaca during school holiday times not often possible under the circumstances.

We spend wherever possible- probably about half our travel costs get addressed with miles/points. But even so, we keep accruing...

We have about 4mil miles and points. I figure it's enabling travel we wouldn't have done and reducing the cost of travel we would have done anyhow. So I don't lose sleep over the fact that our balances are diminishing in value...

If you figure deflation across the board is 10% per annum (ie minus 400k pa in value of points for me currently), and we earn 1mil or so a year without too much effort, we're still well ahead of the game- especially when you consider we maintain the option of using just about any miles currency whenever an opportunity presents itself....
4mil is quite a lot of points. Mind if I ask how you accrued so many?

I'm currently in earn mode. My rule of thumb is to have enough for my next two trips in the bank at any time since I only take about two big trips a year. Helps to keep the deval risk down and my hoarding nature at bay
Old Mar 21, 2014, 2:09 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium-Platinum Medallion, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond
When I first started, I was definitely a hoarder. Didn't want to see my miles/point totals diminish. The most I had at one point was a little over 2 mil.

After using miles for my first international award in a premium cabin, I was hooked and wanted to book as many possible flights and hotel stays as possible.

In a little over 2 years, I ended up burning 3 million miles and points for myself, friends and family.

Now, whenever I'm sitting on some miles, I try to burn them as fast as possible and feel kind of restless until I do so. I'm paranoid about devaluations among the other uncertainties of this game so burning the miles and using them for something tangible makes me feel better.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 2:17 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some

Another way of looking at the effect of inflation on your accounts is each year you earn 1 million miles but only receive 600k miles of value.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by cornellfOo
4mil is quite a lot of points. Mind if I ask how you accrued so many?

I'm currently in earn mode. My rule of thumb is to have enough for my next two trips in the bank at any time since I only take about two big trips a year. Helps to keep the deval risk down and my hoarding nature at bay

40+ cards for me last 3-4yrs, 25 or so for the wife. Plus travel internationally for work, return to the US from Europe on paid flights 3-4 times a year (6 of us). It adds up especially when you are watching out for promotions etc.. Oh to clarify- I'm counting all of the accounts for me and my wife, and the 4 kids, in this tally...

I don't do any MS - have insignificant amount of kiva- have never bought a reload card.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Another way of looking at the effect of inflation on your accounts is each year you earn 1 million miles but only receive 600k miles of value.
True. But the devaluation was going to happen anyway.. Doesn't cost me anything to keep moving ahead, albeit at a slower accrual rate than those actually churning and burning currently, at this point while I wait for eventual change in life circumstances that would allow me to burn more...

.. It's a high quality problem...
Old Mar 21, 2014, 8:56 am

Family of 6 here so I save quite often (and with a 3 month old since we can't really go anywhere anyway, I'm saving by forced savings!).

With 6 and no real MS, an international trip with everyone really isn't feasible. But I do save for my wife and I to do just that.

Burn when it makes sense but with 5 (now 6) every trip burns quite a bit!
Old Mar 21, 2014, 5:16 pm

40+ cards for me last 3-4yrs, 25 or so for the wife. Plus travel internationally for work, return to the US from Europe on paid flights 3-4 times a year (6 of us). It adds up especially when you are watching out for promotions etc.. Oh to clarify- I'm counting all of the accounts for me and my wife, and the 4 kids, in this tally...

I don't do any MS - have insignificant amount of kiva- have never bought a reload card.
good to know 7fig balances can be had w/o resorting to extreme MS :P

Originally Posted by slider34
Family of 6 here so I save quite often (and with a 3 month old since we can't really go anywhere anyway, I'm saving by forced savings!).

With 6 and no real MS, an international trip with everyone really isn't feasible. But I do save for my wife and I to do just that.

Burn when it makes sense but with 5 (now 6) every trip burns quite a bit!
dang...i can't even imagine planning for 6 on award travel. that would be ridiculous
Old Mar 22, 2014, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum
I think the best strategy is to keep only as many miles saved up as you would be able to use flying like your normally would in the period between when devaluation is announced and when it would actually goes into effect.

Airline miles, absent devaluation announcements, should generally get more valuable over time due to dollar inflation- the same number of miles will buy a flight that will cost more in the future. So earning and burning is costing you a tiny bit to inflation.

On the other hand hoarding isn't going to help since announced devaluations can hurt way more than years of inflation. You probably aren't going to be able to blow 1 mil miles in a few months absent special circumstances, so don't keep 1 mil miles on hand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.