Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Bad medical news. Help me transfer points/miles to wife's account....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2013, 7:20 am
Original Poster

I have been given some bleak medical news and would like to be proactive and transfer my miles/points from my account to my wife's account. I should have at least 1-2 years but I want to be ahead of the curve at a minimum and start transferring the miles/points now.

Here is a summary of what I have:

AA 150k
BA 133k..............Moved to Househould Account.
Delta 363k
Southwest 36k
United 138k
Amex MR 100k.........Once added as Authorized User, I will then transfer my MR to her MR account.
HHonors 88k
Starwood - Already Transferred

She has accounts with all of the above airlines & credit card with the exception of HHonors.

What are my best options to get the miles/points to her accounts? I don't want them to go to waste if something happens to me and would love for her to benefit from the miles I have accumulated over the years.

I have read another thread about what happens to your miles after death. It would be my preference to move what I can to her account now especially if some of these airlines change their rules down the road.

I know that I can give her my account access now to burn through some miles but she likely won't be using most of them anytime soon, especially with helping to care for me now. I understand that once somebody passes, there is a system that deletes/freezes all credit card and other accounts. So even if she had my login info, there is a risk that all of the miles will still expire if in my name.

Where there are no good viable transfer options, please help me identify what miles/points might need to be swapped through Coupon Connection. The key is not only identifying which miles/points need to be traded, but also what airline/points can be put into her name.....

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Anthony

Last edited by atwnsw2; Sep 16, 2013 at 7:33 am
Old Sep 12, 2013, 7:41 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Sorry to hear about your situation and best wishes from Virginia.

If you go the Coupon Connection route, you can start a thread with what you have and let folks know you're looking for transferable/deposit-able points & miles. You'll probably take a bit of a loss, though, by trading fixed amounts of mileage for transferable/flexible miles.

Otherwise, you can always transfer the miles directly, usually at around 1 cent per mile. Obviously, you'd want to make sure your financial situation is very secure before spending hundreds (thousands?) of dollars on transferring frequent flier miles.

As far as your Amex, I'd wait until a bonus and transfer to your wife's FFP during a bonus.

Nothing is ever 100% in medicine. My dad is about to be 15 years cancer free after being given "6 months maximum" in 1997. Stay positive!
Old Sep 12, 2013, 8:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
So sorry to hear this.

Not knowing the details, I will offer the following, my dad was given one year to live, he made it 13 months. During that time he lived! Traveled to Europe with my mom. Went around the country.

Again, I don't know if that is possible for you, but my mom has precious memories of that last year.

Thoughts and prayers are with you.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 8:23 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Hi, Anthony. I'm afraid I know nothing about the best way to go with the miles transfers, but my thoughts are with you and your family during this difficult times.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 8:44 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
I, too, am sorry to hear of your situation and am sending you my thoughts and prayers. As to Amex MR, while you cannot transfer points from your MR account to your spouse's MR account, you CAN transfer your MR points into your spouse's airline or hotel accounts. Just link her airline or hotel account to your MR account and transfer.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 8:44 am

Location: Born and raised in South Carolina, now in New York City.
So sorry about your medical issue. You Amex points could go directly into her BA/Delta/etc accounts if you add her airline accounts to your amex card when you do the transfer.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 8:46 am

Sorry to hear and wish you all the best. I also think that you should consider using some of the miles together if your health allows. Your wife would benefit from the time together.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 8:52 am

Location: Born and raised in South Carolina, now in New York City.
Originally Posted by kdad
Sorry to hear and wish you all the best. I also think that you should consider using some of the miles together if your health allows. Your wife would benefit from the time together.
+1 yeah, using the miles with your wife would be great if possible. A long around the world trip would be great and you could definitely do it with your balance (assuming she has some miles or can get some).
Old Sep 12, 2013, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Another option is to NOT have your family tell the airlines if you pass. Give your wife the usernames & passwords of each account and she can continue using the miles/points until they're gone. She can book tickets for anyone. Please accept my condolences.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
This is awful news I'm sorry to hear..
Old Sep 12, 2013, 8:58 am

Programs: UNITED 1P
Originally Posted by philemer
Another option is to NOT have your family tell the airlines if you pass. Give your wife the usernames & passwords of each account and she can continue using the miles/points until they're gone. She can book tickets for anyone. Please accept my condolences.
If your health cannot allow you to trael with your wife, then this might be the best option. I often call for my bf's acct and no one ever asks.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 9:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, IHG RA, Hyatt Diamond, Amex Plat, SPG Gold
My condolances go out to you and your wife. That said, you are still around and if your doctor permits, take the time and use your miles with your wife. As others have said above, make memories that last forever. I'm sure you have worked to accumulate the miles and points with a purpose or goal in mind.

If you do need to make a transfer, I believe AA is offering a bonus on transfers until month end.

Good luck and positive thinking!
Old Sep 12, 2013, 9:12 am

Also so sorry to hear and wish you best of luck. British Airways has a Household Account option. I don't know the details, but that might be a way to "transfer" your BA miles.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 9:17 am

Programs: *A-A3-*S, *A M&M FTL *S, EI-Green, AccorGold

Wish you all the best.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Hi everybody and thanks for your kind wishes. Very kind.

I would like to respond to the thread and ask if we can stay on task:

1) Transferring the miles to my wife's account seems to be a waste of $$$ at .01 cent per mile. I may re-consider this down the road and it is a real option, but I would ask that we put the most expensive option at the bottom of the list.

2) While my health is limiting travel there is no way I could burn through these miles even if I tried.

3) I was mentioning Coupon Connection as a last thought. Really what my goal is to find alternate ways to move my miles under her name/account.

Keep the ideas coming.

Thanks again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.