FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bad medical news. Help me transfer points/miles to wife's account....
Old Sep 12, 2013, 7:20 am
atwnsw2

Bad medical news. Help me transfer points/miles to wife's account....

I have been given some bleak medical news and would like to be proactive and transfer my miles/points from my account to my wife's account. I should have at least 1-2 years but I want to be ahead of the curve at a minimum and start transferring the miles/points now.

Here is a summary of what I have:

AA 150k
BA 133k..............Moved to Househould Account.
Delta 363k
Southwest 36k
United 138k
Amex MR 100k.........Once added as Authorized User, I will then transfer my MR to her MR account.
HHonors 88k
Starwood - Already Transferred

She has accounts with all of the above airlines & credit card with the exception of HHonors.

What are my best options to get the miles/points to her accounts? I don't want them to go to waste if something happens to me and would love for her to benefit from the miles I have accumulated over the years.

I have read another thread about what happens to your miles after death. It would be my preference to move what I can to her account now especially if some of these airlines change their rules down the road.

I know that I can give her my account access now to burn through some miles but she likely won't be using most of them anytime soon, especially with helping to care for me now. I understand that once somebody passes, there is a system that deletes/freezes all credit card and other accounts. So even if she had my login info, there is a risk that all of the miles will still expire if in my name.

Where there are no good viable transfer options, please help me identify what miles/points might need to be swapped through Coupon Connection. The key is not only identifying which miles/points need to be traded, but also what airline/points can be put into her name.....

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Anthony

Last edited by atwnsw2; Sep 16, 2013 at 7:33 am