Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Russia this Summer, Australia/NZ this December/January.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2013, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold

What would your strategy be for using the following balances for a trip to Russia this summer, and Australia or NZ this December/January? 2 pax, NYC based.

DL: 100k(her), 100k(him)
UA: 180k, 150k
AA: 40k (possibly to become 90k in a few months), 150k

MR: 180k total
UR: 150k total

Would like to go J for both trips. Although as UA Gold I would consider Y redemption on UA since I can snag E+ for free. I do not plan to apply for CC between now and then.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 2:02 pm

Well, if I were you, that is--not necessarily if you were me, I would pay for my coach ticket and use miles to subsidize wife's ticket.

Some qualifiers:
(1) I am Premier gold also, but I don't have enough biz travel to keep it for next year, so I'm going to do a MR to SIN to keep it. I am based out of SFO. If I had plans to fly to Russia and Australia this year, that would help me immensely in keeping my gold. Actually, I do have plans to fly to Australia and already used AA miles for award tickets, but that was before I thought this through. AA has a nice one month Ambassador's club membership fee for $99 that gets you in the much nicer Qantas lounges. That should make up for missing out on the *A lounges.
(2) Dear wife and I don't mind flying Y internationally together.
(3) Of course, there's qualifiers for flying Y internationally--we avoid UA's 747 Y service like the plague and choose our airline/equipment combinations carefully. We really like how the non-US international carriers provide complimentary adult beverages in Y.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 2:02 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, PC Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Russia this July, Australia/NZ this December/January.

What city are you planning to visit in Russia? Far East Russia will have different mileage requirements
Old Apr 3, 2013, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by Long Zhiren
Well, if I were you, that is--not necessarily if you were me, I would pay for my coach ticket and use miles to subsidize wife's ticket.

Some qualifiers:
Thanks. Appreciate the different perspective. Reaching Gold was pretty fluky for me; a rare combo of personal and biz premium paid travel. I've never had any status before, nor do I fly enough in a normal year to really make it worth a whole lot to me. I would probably have to do 40k in MR to keep it for next year, and I have no interest in that. So keeping status is not high on my list of considerations.

Originally Posted by fandu
What city are you planning to visit in Russia? Far East Russia will have different mileage requirements
St. Petersburg and Moscow.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 3:19 pm

There's interesting late-breaking news about the Polish government wanting to spin-off LOT to be privatized. I don't know what that means for LOT's *A/UA alliance, service & possibilities out of JFK and into Russia. LOT's reviews look decent.
On the other hand, I've heard enough to actively avoid Aeroflot.
While you're gold, remember you'll have access to *A lounges like in YYZ, FRA and ZRH. They're pretty nice.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 4:33 pm

Do you think both of you can each snag an additional 50k DL miles?

I am planning a trip to Aussieland and finding J availability from NY is not that easy but if you are willing to fly in coach between NY to LA then you will be ok. From LA look for J availability on Virgin and with Delta you are allowed 1 stop over and an open jaw. So you could do something like this: NY-LA-SYD-fly to new zealand from sydney on separately paid flight and return to melbourne-MEL-LA-NY.

For my trip I want to fly to seoul and then to sydney and then back home. However, Korean has not released J awards on their non-stop from JFK so I looked at different cities Korean flies from and concocted this itinerary: JFK-ATL-ICN-SYD-LAX-JFK. All legs except the LAX-JFK are in J and for 150k miles per person.

Now you can use my itinerary and do JFK-ATL-ICN-SYD and fly J from NY to all the way back to LAX and then do Y on the LAX-JFK portion. Or you can fly JFK-LAX(hardest to find award availability in Y or J) in Y then LAX-SYD in J.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 5:23 pm

As a person flying from NYC to Moscow and back almost every month or sometimes even more often I'd strongly suggest not to waste air miles on this route, unless you necessarily want to flight Business.
This particular route (NYC to MOW) is *very* competitive and prices for economy tickets can be as low as ~$400-450 RT (sometimes even lower). As per my observation, almost none of other European city can beat this on a usual basis (maybe only London sometimes offering RT for $400 as well). At the same time award tickets might cost a lot of miles - afaik, Aeroflot "charges" 70k or 75k miles for RT (2 years ago it was 50k, but they raised it afterwards) which IMHO makes redemption of air miles on this route quite senseless. Nonetheless, YMMV as if you plan to go during some holiday season, it might be worthwhile, but still I could've rarely seen NYC-MOW RT tickets for more than $900-$1100 even during very peak times and buying short notice.

As per airlines serving this route I've tried, I think, all of them and can say the following:

1) Delta - the worst by far. Essentially, it is reflected in their price ($450 RT is not rare, sometimes even buying 1-2 weeks in advance). Worst terminal in JFK, rude staff and other "nice" features. The only reason I mostly fly with them is price - it is usually at least $100-150 per ticket cheaper than the next flight option (usually connecting)
2) Transaero - one of the Russian airlines serving this route, not a member of any alliance, unfortunately. I'd consider it to be a little bit better than Delta, but be prepared to ... pretty specific crowds on board (~50% or more of the aircraft transiting in Moscow further to Israel). I'm completely fine with that, but might be shocking for some (not for Newyorkers though...)
3) Aeroflot - I'd really say the best out of 3 (I'm not joking!). They have new aircrafts and rather nice customer service. They are in Skyteam together with Delta and often offer codeshare flights under DL codes. If you still plan to redeem DL miles, I'd say it would be the best choice.

Other than those 3 companies there are no other ones flying direct. UA offers flights with connection at IAD, sometimes for very good price. Despite the whole idea of this connection and first leg from NYC to IAD to be completely stupid IMHO, I still like this route for good customer service by UA.

There are also plenty of connecting flights via different cities in Europe. I've also tried lots of them with worst ones probably through London (LHR sucks) and best ones through Munich (very nice airport, not too big; Lufthansa is always great both longhaul and shorthaul).

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 7:39 pm

Having flown to Australia and New Zealand changing planes in LAX is a total pain BUT flying to NZ on ANZ on the new plane is worth it. Make sure that its not the old planes which it looks like fly to SFO.

To fly to Australia if your able to get onto Quantis you will enjoy the flight a lot more then flying on United.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
Originally Posted by ikko1
Other than those 3 companies there are no other ones flying direct. UA offers flights with connection at IAD, sometimes for very good price. Despite the whole idea of this connection and first leg from NYC to IAD to be completely stupid IMHO, I still like this route for good customer service by UA.
UA killed this route, so there are no other direct options.
only via connection in Europe, or via IAH on SQ
Old Apr 16, 2013, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Deleted.

Last edited by guv1976; Apr 17, 2013 at 7:26 pm
Old Apr 17, 2013, 5:48 pm

I agree on not using miles to Moscow for my 2 cents. I just returned from a Trans Siberian rail journey and flew into St. Petersburg rather than Moscow but only paid $500 one way on BA through LHR. And really Y internationally wasn't that bad, much to my chargrin free adult beverages in coach and a James Bond movie marathon.

I'm looking into a trip to NZ as well. Banking my miles into United with UR to attempt to find award space on NZ from the west coast. But you have enough to do *A or Quantas.... Again I flew Y to SYD in 2004 and it wasn't bad at all, although I would personally go for business now that I know better and have credit cards.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 7:21 pm

Russia this summer

You might notice that summer tickets to Moscow are much more expensive than during the winter. I wonder why?

My wife and I flew BOS-SVO and HEL-BOS for 60k skymiles each, whereas paid itineraries were over 850 even with several month advance purchase... Which is necessary if you are going to apply for a visa. It was in economy in AF most of the way, and was a totally reasonable experience.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

If the OP can find the award space, a roundtrip from NYC to Russia in Business Class can be had for 90K AA miles, using a distance-based "Explorer" award. At least two of AA's oneworld partners (with or without AA) would have to be used on the award. An itinerary like JFK-DUS-DME-LED-HEL-JFK, using AB, S7, and AY is just one possibility.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.