Buying Apple and getting points [includes hardware and iTunes]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying Apple and getting points [includes hardware and iTunes]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:46 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by amolkold
I bought our iPhones (iPhone 4s in 2010) and I'm not sure if the AMEX Purchase Protection was for 90 days or for a year. Still was glad to have that safety net.

I'd look into possibly doing it with beans.
It extends it an extra year.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:50 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by daveland
It extends it an extra year.
Even if the phone was purchased at Verizon or AT&T?
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:01 am

AMEX doubles the manufacturer warranty however it only provides 90 days for accidental damage. The chances of something going wrong with the phone (outside of accidental damage) within year one to two is pretty nil.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:12 am

Programs: All of the Above
Different levels of Am Ex's provide different levels of assistance. Plat and PRG provide 90 day purchase protection for any reason (drop and break, lost, stolen, etc). Don't know about the other Am Ex's protection, but I assume the Prepaid would be at the bottom of the food chain. I'll max out the $50k on the IB this year anyways, so no harm no foul on charging the 5 onto an Am Ex.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
A little off topic, but you could save up to 10% off the purchase price by purchasing Best Buy gift cards through Plastic Jungle after linking through TopCashBack. You could then get miles through a shopping mall for making the Iphone purchase.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 1:03 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Personally I would go through AA shopping for 1100 miles, or Marriot for 5500 miles.

Use the Ink for another 5x so the 16gb would get you 1000 UR and 1100 AA.

Last edited by brooklynmatt; Sep 16, 2012 at 1:15 pm
Old Sep 16, 2012, 1:53 pm

I ordered 3x iphone5. I have both Chase IB and Amex BGR. I chose Amex purchase protection over 1000 UR points per phone (5x on 200$) to get :

Purchase Protection
Purchase Protection* can protect that item for up to 90 days from the date of purchase if it is stolen or accidentally damaged, including vandalism. The coverage is limited to $1,000 per occurrence, up to $50,000 per Cardmember account per calendar year, and is in EXCESS of other sources of indemnity.

the funny thing was - I did not do the research before and was fumbling on the phone trying to research coverage and decide on IB vs BGR when the CSR was pre-ordering instore
Old Sep 16, 2012, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by T3pleShot
I ordered 3x iphone5. I have both Chase IB and Amex BGR. I chose Amex purchase protection over 1000 UR points per phone (5x on 200$) to get :

Purchase Protection
Purchase Protection* can protect that item for up to 90 days from the date of purchase if it is stolen or accidentally damaged, including vandalism. The coverage is limited to $1,000 per occurrence, up to $50,000 per Cardmember account per calendar year, and is in EXCESS of other sources of indemnity.

the funny thing was - I did not do the research before and was fumbling on the phone trying to research coverage and decide on IB vs BGR when the CSR was pre-ordering instore
Sounds like you missed out on some good mileage mall points or miles. Why did you pre-order in store?
Old Sep 16, 2012, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by ejh25
Sounds like you missed out on some good mileage mall points or miles. Why did you pre-order in store?
I have grandfathered unlimited data plan on the lines. I just wanted to be sure that it is preserved and moved to unlimited LTE plan as I am upgrading my lines. I did not want to risk losing the unlimited plan and wanted to double check in person as I upgrade my lines.

At least now, I am sure that I have unlimited since I see this on my pre-order receipt:
ADDED DATA PLAN UNL LTE IP

From what I am reading here, the most miles I would have gotten for a $200 pre-order is ~1000 miles? Fair value - 20$, I personally am fine "buying" 3 month accident protection for 20$. Or, did I leave more miles on the table?
Old Sep 16, 2012, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by goAsia
Of course ATT is in the 5x category for the Ink Bold...at least for monthly billing. I assume hardware purchases are processed the same way.
Word of warning... this does not work for Verizon. The bill is 5x, but in the verizon store it is classified as "retail".

Technically, it's supposed to only apply for telecom services, anyways. If you get them to put the phone on your bill though, you are golden. (Generally only possible with Verizon corporate accounts).
Old Sep 16, 2012, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Careful - I noticed that several portal explicitly say that pre-orders for the iPhone 5 do NOT count (UR, Citi TY)
Old Sep 17, 2012, 1:41 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by milesmuncher
Careful - I noticed that several portal explicitly say that pre-orders for the iPhone 5 do NOT count (UR, Citi TY)
I don't see that restriction via the aadvantaggeeshopping.com portal.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 7:11 am

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by T3pleShot
I have grandfathered unlimited data plan on the lines. I just wanted to be sure that it is preserved and moved to unlimited LTE plan as I am upgrading my lines. I did not want to risk losing the unlimited plan and wanted to double check in person as I upgrade my lines.

At least now, I am sure that I have unlimited since I see this on my pre-order receipt:
ADDED DATA PLAN UNL LTE IP

From what I am reading here, the most miles I would have gotten for a $200 pre-order is ~1000 miles? Fair value - 20$, I personally am fine "buying" 3 month accident protection for 20$. Or, did I leave more miles on the table?
Yeah, I am on the same plan and was concerned this would be the time they tried to pull it, but I upgraded to the 5 online and it gave me the unlimited plan as an option, very clear and easy.

You could have paid for it online, through a portal, with the same Amex and got the protection you want plus the portal points, so you left those points on the table by doing it this way.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by brooklynmatt

You could have paid for it online, through a portal, with the same Amex and got the protection you want plus the portal points, so you left those points on the table by doing it this way.
+1 That's what I was suggesting.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:04 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Since Aug 2010, Hyatt Platinum
Amex MR Express Pts for iPhone 5

Nevermind. Dup question

Last edited by DavisCalifJr; Sep 17, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.