Wiki Posts
Search

Some advice please: Platinum Medallion or Gold Medallion and Premier Executive

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 1999, 9:55 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Some advice please: Platinum Medallion or Gold Medallion and Premier Executive

Some advice please! I have looked at my travel plans for the remainder of the year and will be flying in excess of 100,000 miles. My question is: should I stay loyal and go for DL's Platinum Medallion or split my loyalties and get DL's Gold Medallion and UA's Premex? From what I understand, DL Platinums really do not get that many more perks that DL Golds. They get upgrades at the time of booking as opposed to 72 hours ahead for Golds. As Gold, I've never been denied an upgrade on a confirmed ticket. Platinums also get Crown Room Club access which I'm not sure I would use. So, do you all think it would be better to get Premex which could come in handy when I fly UA domestically and LH which I like to fly on inter-European flights?

Thanks a lot for any advice!!
Old Aug 25, 1999, 10:31 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
leroy11 ~ I think there's two important factors to consider:

1) You will not be earning a 100% bonus on your flights while you are qualifying for PremEx since you're not already that level. That's 50,000 or so miles you'd be giving up (maybe less, but a significant amount of miles to be sure).

2) Will you be able to maintain the qualification in subsequent years? It really doesn't make much sense if you qualify for PremEx this year, but next year you end up having to fly on DL almost exclusively to maintain your status (if this year is just a fluke with a lot of travel).

As for the perks of Platinum, you're pretty much right. I could conceivably make Platinum this year (I'll have 67 segments in less than two weeks time), but I won't take more than one (maybe two ...) extra trip to make it, because there just are not that many benefits beyond what you already get for Gold, especially for me since I've already paid for my CRC membership through May of next year (will they refund that to me ... I doubt it ...) and I've upgraded 90% of the time or so (and lately the upgrading has been really good!). However, for the reasons above, I'm not bothering trying to get status on another airline, I don't want to give up my 100% bonus miles and I don't think I could requalify next year because I'll be flying DL mostly to maintain my Gold status.
Old Aug 25, 1999, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One thing you could try is call UA Mileage Plus and see if they will comp you Premier Executive based on your Delta status. Couldn't hurt to try. Tell them you have lots of trips to take this year and United fits your schedule.
Old Aug 25, 1999, 4:50 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Thank you Beckles and Baze - I think you're both right. Beckles: I didn't take into consideration the 100% bonus that I would be missing out on in my first real year of flying UA. If I stayed with DL, that would be an extra 50,000 miles. Also, if I flew 100,000 miles in a year with DL, that would mean I would get 10 systemwide upgrades - that would be great for intercontinental trips ... I think Baze is right about getting comped to PremEx so I wouldn't miss out on the 100% bonus. Therefore, I'll write UA. If they comp me, I'll split allegiances. If they don't or just comp me to Premier (is that the name of the first tier of UA elite?), I'll stick with DL and get the extra systemwides and lounge access.

Thanks a lot again to you both!
Old Aug 25, 1999, 5:04 pm

United does offer a comp match program, up to and including Premier Executive. Sorry, no 1K comps. You have to earn 1K status the old fashioned way, you have to fly for it. The intent of this program, of course, is that you will bring your business their direction.
Old Aug 25, 1999, 9:22 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
I love the Platinum Medallion program, except for inability to upgrade on L fares. I have sat in coach one time this year. And if I am on a waitlist (1 in 10 flights), I also zoom to the top of the airport standby list. For example, last week, I was the only person of 9 on a list for first class that made first. Going to #1 on a list really makes it a valuable perk for me. And I love the Crown Room Club deal. I use it all the time, especially for checking email, etc. And the fact that you can upgrade at time of reservation avoids the anxiety 1K members on United suffer... not knowing at time of booking if they will make first.

[This message has been edited by jeffreyt (edited 08-25-1999).]
Old Aug 25, 1999, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well in defense of United...72 flights with United this year as 1K. 100% upgrade. No anxiety. 1K's do get a supply of confirmed domestic upgrades (good on any published fare, even E-Fares I might add) in addition to the 500 mile doo dads. Without giving any secrets away (Rudi!), let's just say for most 1K's it's like every cert is a confirmed cert. I have never, as a 1K, had to use miles for myself or my traveling companions to upgrade any domestic flight.

Lot's of mistakes and "acknowledgements" are made (in the customers favor) with the collection of these paper upgrade certs, too.

And I will admit that United is slow mailing them out. But in time I've learned this is a blessing as you just call Mileage Plus, tell 'em you need 'em now, and 3 days later they're in your mailbox by manual mailing. When your originals finally arrive and you call MP to ask if you should return 'em, they say "nope...keep 'em for your incovienience." I usually end up with more than I can use and gift 'em to friends.

Electronic upgrades close up all these "loopholes" tighter than Delta's restriction on L fares.

Don't believe me? I'll gladly let any regular (and trusted!) FlyerTalker view a copy of my 1999 Online Account Summary. I just love seeing all those big fat "F"s and "C"s in the class column without any miles deducted. Just email me.

Now I know that if Matt Wald reads this he's going to chew me out as he wants all you folks to stay with Delta and keep the seats up front on United empty. But just wanted to point out some of the advantages that do exist being a United 1K.

[This message has been edited by PremEx (edited 08-25-1999).]
Old Aug 26, 1999, 4:40 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Premex: You're definitely right - a couple of years ago when DL had paper upgrades, lots of mistakes were made in the customer's favor - particularly when it came to how many miles were between 2 cities and therefore, how many coupons you would need to give up. Mistakes still happen with the paper systemwide certificates - usually at the airport - when agents are often too lazy to collect them (fine by me!)
Old Aug 26, 1999, 4:46 am
Original Member
Original Poster

There was a thread regarding these DL EZ upgrades sometime ago. Here's the link - sorry I don't know how to hyper-link it:
http://talk.flyertalk.com/forum/Foru...ML/000255.html
Old Aug 26, 1999, 4:47 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Okay - it did it for me!
Old Aug 26, 1999, 3:42 pm
Original Member

I see it a little differently--I just made my Premier Exec for the year with UA and don't see much benefit for going for the 100K. (My company just moved to ATL from TPA, which changes things a bit, I admit) (For '99 I was PX with UA, WP Silver with NW and nothing with DL or AA).

AA comped me Gold AAdvantage for this year, then sent out a winback mailing the intent of which is matching my UA 2x miles plus applying them to status. For the rest of the year I have (at least) one Europe trip and one South America trip, plus numerous intra USA.

I already have PX for next year. My plans are this year to retain Gold Aadvantage (12500 flown miles on AA), then regain NW, then go for DL. (My trip to South America next week should just about get me the 12500 flown miles for AA). If I miss DL this year, I'll ask for comped next year, then just fly DL and UA next year.

I'd be interested in comments.
Old Aug 27, 1999, 5:53 pm

Programs: DL-MM,SW-CP,A-List Preferred
I stopped flying Delta after reaching Gold status for next year. I am currently platinum but have given the rest of my business to Continental. They gave me courtesy Gold for this year based on my Delta platinum status. I decided early in the year that Gold on two airlines was much better than platinum on Delta( no L class upgrades). I have not missed out on a upgrade this year on continental. Delta Platinum status not worth it in my opinion.
Old Aug 28, 1999, 4:29 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Thank you all for your opinions. I know upgrading on CO is relatively easy compared to others - even though their highest tier elites (Golds?) can't upgrade at the time of booking. However, UA is not as easy from what I've read - is this true? UA would be my choice because of its hub in DEN and its strong European network from the north-east - especially its direct BOS --> LHR route. I'm still considering my options ... !
Old Aug 28, 1999, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (mostly earned on CO)
Leroy11: Golds and Platinums (and maybe Silvers, I'm not sure) can upgrade on CO at time of booking if they purchase a full fare ticket. They also get the same privileges on NW and HP.

[This message has been edited by dgolds (edited 08-28-1999).]
Old Aug 28, 1999, 5:35 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

dgolds: Thanks - I supppose the difference between DL Platinums and CO's highest level is that DL platinums can upgrade on any fare (except L class) at the time of booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.