Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Suspended?] 20% Bonus on Purchasing/Gifting Icelandair Saga Club Points/Miles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2012, 5:23 pm

Foreign Transaction Fee - Yes

Originally Posted by Nelumbo
Is there foreign transaction fee charged for purchasing these miles when they are priced at ISK?
Greetings,

I also thought there would be no FTF, due to being charged through Points.com. Today I noticed, though, that I WAS charged a FTF.

My experience:
  • Bought 2 x 50K (=120K with bonus) points on 8/17
  • Had to call Citibank to get them to unblock the first transaction, as they had flagged it as possible fraud. Second went through fine.
  • Points posted immediately, showing "POINTS ICELANDAIR POINTS.COM
    77,000.00 ICELAND KRONA = 645.49" for each transaction.
  • On 8/22 I noticed a $38.72 FTF on my Citi statement. This would be 3% of my total spent for 2 tickets.
  • Didn't really mind using my new Citi AA card for this and paying the FTF, since it helped me reach my spend for 50K AA miles.
  • Redeemed for 2 First Class tickets OAK to/from KOA on 8/21. Still have 60K left.

So, yes, I was charged a FTF - but I'm still pretty happy about 2 trips to Hawaii first class for less than $400 each and still having enough points to do it again.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by ducktape
If I want to use the miles on alaska, doe the flight have to be operated by Alaska or could it be a mix of Alaska and AA?
It depends on the rules of Saga Club redemptions. AA is not a partner and thus, the flights operated by AA are ineligible.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 7:44 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by saacman5033
It depends on the rules of Saga Club redemptions. AA is not a partner and thus, the flights operated by AA are ineligible.
Yep, AA's partnership with AS does not carryover to any other partnerships that AS may maintain, such as this one with Icelandair.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:57 pm

Welcome to FT!
And thank you very much for sharing your experience. I guess I'll use my cards without FTF to make purchase.

Originally Posted by jamesdmo
Greetings,

I also thought there would be no FTF, due to being charged through Points.com. Today I noticed, though, that I WAS charged a FTF.

My experience:
  • Bought 2 x 50K (=120K with bonus) points on 8/17
  • Had to call Citibank to get them to unblock the first transaction, as they had flagged it as possible fraud. Second went through fine.
  • Points posted immediately, showing "POINTS ICELANDAIR POINTS.COM
  • On 8/22 I noticed a $38.72 FTF on my Citi statement. This would be 3% of my total spent for 2 tickets.
  • Didn't really mind using my new Citi AA card for this and paying the FTF, since it helped me reach my spend for 50K AA miles.
  • Redeemed for 2 First Class tickets OAK to/from KOA on 8/21. Still have 60K left.

So, yes, I was charged a FTF - but I'm still pretty happy about 2 trips to Hawaii first class for less than $400 each and still having enough points to do it again.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 6:57 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jamesdmo
...showing "POINTS ICELANDAIR POINTS.COM
When you made the purchase was the price displayed in Krona or in Dollars? If it was displayed in Krona it is a foreign currency transaction. However, if the price was displayed only in US Dollars you should complain forcefully to the airline, to Points.com and to Citi.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:55 am

77,000 IKR = $648.15 on my sapphire preferred. Google is WAY off. Let's see if I can actually cash these bad boys in....
Old Aug 24, 2012, 1:41 pm

Programs: Whatever you have, I have too.
My interaction w/FI today was smooth as silk. Early this morning I purchased miles and within two hours received an email confirming miles were deposited. Called FI RES and booked an itinerary I found on expertflyer.com. Less than an hour later I received an email with e-tkts attached, complete w/tkt numbers and all travel details. Later I'll call AS to verify we show confirmed in their system in the correct class of service. I'm very pleased FI seems to have worked out the impediments to servicing this mileage purchase bonus offer. We're off to OGG from OAK next spring and thx to Mr. Marriott we won't be sleeping under a tree. I hope so much that other FT'ers can find similar success now after these several days of roadblocks. Aloha.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA Silver/Marriott Gold/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Tpa-flyer
My interaction w/FI today was smooth as silk. Early this morning I purchased miles and within two hours received an email confirming miles were deposited. Called FI RES and booked an itinerary I found on expertflyer.com. Less than an hour later I received an email with e-tkts attached, complete w/tkt numbers and all travel details. Later I'll call AS to verify we show confirmed in their system in the correct class of service. I'm very pleased FI seems to have worked out the impediments to servicing this mileage purchase bonus offer. We're off to OGG from OAK next spring and thx to Mr. Marriott we won't be sleeping under a tree. I hope so much that other FT'ers can find similar success now after these several days of roadblocks. Aloha.
I was also able to finally book tickets today after my 4th purchase of points (made yesterday, took almost 22 hours to show up).

Now the issue I'm running into is they charged me $251 for 2 award flights (SAN->HNL, OGG->SAN) in first. I was told twice that the charge would be about $30-50 per ticket, so this is well over twice what they said it would be. What did you get charged for your fees?

Also, still no confirmation email here, but it's only been about 2 hours.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 4:17 pm

Programs: Whatever you have, I have too.
Originally Posted by Majikow
I was also able to finally book tickets today after my 4th purchase of points (made yesterday, took almost 22 hours to show up).

Now the issue I'm running into is they charged me $251 for 2 award flights (SAN->HNL, OGG->SAN) in first. I was told twice that the charge would be about $30-50 per ticket, so this is well over twice what they said it would be. What did you get charged for your fees?

Huge congrats on securing a booking, Majikow. I've wondered how it's been for you and if you continued to try. The figure from FI charged to my cc today is, $130.31. I asked the agent when she asked for my cc, "How much are the taxes and fees totalling?" She said, "Less than 100.00 per ticket." I started to ask her to use a currency converter and tell me exactly before preceding, but I caved and just went w/it. It's my hope the 130.31 only posts once to my cc. It's all I see currently. Thank you for the heads up as I clearly need to keep tracking this.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Tpa-flyer
Huge congrats on securing a booking, Majikow. I've wondered how it's been for you and if you continued to try. The figure from FI charged to my cc today is, $130.31. I asked the agent when she asked for my cc, "How much are the taxes and fees totalling?" She said, "Less than 100.00 per ticket." I started to ask her to use a currency converter and tell me exactly before preceding, but I caved and just went w/it. It's my hope the 130.31 only posts once to my cc. It's all I see currently. Thank you for the heads up as I clearly need to keep tracking this.
Yeah, it's definitely been a week full of stress, but I'm guessing when I get to Hawaii it will all be worth it.

Was that $130.31 for one ticket or two, and coach or first class? I think something funky is going on here, cause it seems like these reports of huge taxes/fees are only starting to show up today. It's the same for a few of the people commenting over on the blog at Online Travel Review.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 5:52 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Ummmm....y'all jumping on this offer did know that Barclays offers an Iceland Air World MasterCard for $39 with a 20,000 miles sign on bonus?* For only $39 now you can afford to fly from Baltimore to get Mexican food at Pepe's North of the Border in Barrow, or pizza on the south side of town if you want to eat Italian.

*Not to worry - this is Barclays, you just have to balance transfer $10,000 as part of getting this bonus.

Last edited by AlohaDaveKennedy; Aug 24, 2012 at 6:01 pm
Old Aug 24, 2012, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by Majikow

I'm running into a similar problem- I was charged $642.85 for my 60K points and then a day later an additional $649.64 from IcelandAir popped up on my credit card. I called, but they said I had to deal with this via email. Emailed yesterday and am waiting for a response.

As for confirmation emails- check your junk mail.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Ummmm....y'all jumping on this offer did know that Barclays offers an Iceland Air World MasterCard for $39 with a 20,000 miles sign on bonus?* For only $39 now you can afford to fly from Baltimore to get Mexican food at Pepe's North of the Border in Barrow, or pizza on the south side of town if you want to eat Italian.

*Not to worry - this is Barclays, you just have to balance transfer $10,000 as part of getting this bonus.
I just did a round of apps on 8/8 for 9 cards (incl one from Barclay's). I probably shouldn't push it lest I face denial which would shatter my feeble confidence. Although pulling an Iceland Air World Mastercard out of your wallet would be a great conversation piece.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
I have an auth on my credit card from 8/20 but no completed transaction or points in my account. Do I need to just wait a couple more days?
Old Aug 24, 2012, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by mikelat
I have an auth on my credit card from 8/20 but no completed transaction or points in my account. Do I need to just wait a couple more days?
I'd try chatting with the points.com people (I think 10A-4PM EST). Go to points.com, click on 'Contact Us', then on the right side you should see a "Chat" link. They confirmed for me twice that my transactions were denied or were processing.

My guess is that your purchase didn't go through. I tried to buy points twice on 8/22 and neither went through because IcelandAir had a glitch in their system and the hold for new accounts (needed to be older than 10 days to buy points) went back into effect. You might also want to call SagaClub (1-800-223-5500 prompt 3) and ask them to look at your account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.