Reload this Page >

[Suspended?] 20% Bonus on Purchasing/Gifting Icelandair Saga Club Points/Miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Suspended?] 20% Bonus on Purchasing/Gifting Icelandair Saga Club Points/Miles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:59 pm

Is there foreign transaction fee charged for purchasing these miles when they are priced at ISK?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: Whatever you have, I have too.
Originally Posted by Majikow
Just confirmed with IcelandAir Saga Club rep that the 10 day hold for purchasing points (account must be older than 10 days) is back on after they lifted it for a few days. Both of my points purchases got turned down.

Has anyone (that signed up for Saga Club in the last week) been able to purchase points since yesterday?

This sucks, I had the redemption I wanted with seats available, and now the departure is sold out.
When you say you were turned down, does this mean you never advanced to a confirmation page of the transaction? (I joined Saga yesterday and purchased miles this morning. I did get a confirm of the purchase, however the miles aren't in my account yet.)
Old Aug 22, 2012, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA Silver/Marriott Gold/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Nelumbo
Is there foreign transaction fee charged for purchasing these miles when they are priced at ISK?
The purchase comes from points.com, so I don't think there is a transaction fee (and others have said the same). For 42,000 points my total came out to $542.

Originally Posted by Tpa-flyer
When you say you were turned down, does this mean you never advanced to a confirmation page of the transaction? (I joined Saga yesterday and purchased miles this morning. I did get a confirm of the purchase, however the miles aren't in my account yet.)
I got a confirmation on both purchases. However, when I went to the chat function at points.com and spoke with a rep, she said both transactions were declined because of the 10 day hold.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 2:48 pm

The purchase comes from points.com, so I don't think there is a transaction fee (and others have said the same). For 42,000 points my total came out to $542.

I got a confirmation on both purchases. However, when I went to the chat function at points.com and spoke with a rep, she said both transactions were declined because of the 10 day hold.
I see. Given what happened to you, then, I'd predict I'll have the same outcome. Now I just have to decide if I should persevere given the time/legwork allotted to this deal already, or just pull the plug and forget the whole enterprise. One thing's for sure, at least when it comes to points/miles, the next good deal may not be on the next bus that comes around the corner, but eventually there'll be another one.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Tpa-flyer
I see. Given what happened to you, then, I'd predict I'll have the same outcome. Now I just have to decide if I should persevere given the time/legwork allotted to this deal already, or just pull the plug and forget the whole enterprise. One thing's for sure, at least when it comes to points/miles, the next good deal may not be on the next bus that comes around the corner, but eventually there'll be another one.
I'm in the same boat. Can't decide if I want to keep at this. I found a great redemption in January, but then since last night when I wanted to book it, the departure is now gone. Not sure if I want to go in March.

Jared at Online Travel Review (who I think broke this deal), said in the comments of one of his posts that he reached out to IcelandAir and said this 10 day wait thing is a glitch in their system right now and we should be able to buy points. I guess it's going to get lifted in the near future so we should be able to buy points again.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 3:47 pm

I'm in the same boat. Can't decide if I want to keep at this. I found a great redemption in January, but then since last night when I wanted to book it, the departure is now gone. Not sure if I want to go in March.

Jared at Online Travel Review (who I think broke this deal), said in the comments of one of his posts that he reached out to IcelandAir and said this 10 day wait thing is a glitch in their system right now and we should be able to buy points. I guess it's going to get lifted in the near future so we should be able to buy points again.
I appreciate this headsup via OTR. I'm going to give this some concerted thought but in a lot of ways, at least for me, the bloom is off the rose with mileage purchase complications. The airline rolled out their purchase bonus offer and customers are attempting to do business w/them. I congratulate those who were able to jump on this early on and make it happen for themselves. In this instance, I fear I'm an "also ran."
Old Aug 22, 2012, 5:10 pm

Hi - I'm Jared from OTR (perhaps I should change my FT handle).

In any case, to answer some concerns:

Their computers basically reinstated the 10 day hold without any warning. That was definitely not Icelandair's plan. They're trying to fix that problem - don't worry, it will be taken care of. They hope by tomorrow.

Tied in with this is an issue with points purchases/transfers that people have made in the past day or so -- some people have complained that their points have not posted. They know there is a problem, but it is not yet fixed.

They literally just told me that they're asking people not to purchase or transfer miles until they get this fixed (they hope tomorrow). I'll post again when it's working - no one will be charged for points they didn't receive.

On a positive note, the transfer and purchase bonus goes through September 28th. The folks over at Icelandair have been beyond overwhelmed, though I'm happy to say that most people have told me that the reps have been incredibly helpful.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 6:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, SPG Gold, National EC Executive, AA Platinum
........For 42,000 points my total came out to $542.
Do you mean $442?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by poptarts
Do you mean $442?
Nope. $542. Don't go off the Google calculation (which is messed up for some reason). I got thrown off by that at first too. When you do the conversion at one of the exchange websites it comes to about $528. Not sure where the extra $14 is coming from. Maybe they did charge a foreign exch fee. But my fee is only 1% on my VA Amex.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 7:51 pm
formerly known as RK7

Programs: Many
So I just joined Saga Club for wife and myself. Would like to go to Iceland sometime next year, from Sacramento, or actually nearest hub which I believe is Seattle. <Just got confirmation of joining> Are we going to be able to buy enough points at a discount in order to fly 1st class from the West Coast?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:03 pm

I tried to register for saga club, but got an error..i will try later
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by RK7
So I just joined Saga Club for wife and myself. Would like to go to Iceland sometime next year, from Sacramento, or actually nearest hub which I believe is Seattle. <Just got confirmation of joining> Are we going to be able to buy enough points at a discount in order to fly 1st class from the West Coast?
It's cheaper to use Alaska Air miles - 50K for Sacramento to Iceland. While with Iceland Air miles it is 70K for Seattle to Iceland (no Sacramento).
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:04 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
Would you be able to use these purchased miles to book an award through their subsidiary Air Iceland? I'm interested in traveling to Greenland.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 8:12 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by MVF Trekker
Would you be able to use these purchased miles to book...
Begin reading here:

https://www.icelandair.us/frequent-f...redeem-points/

Flights
Icelandair
Upgrade for Saga Points
Air Iceland
Alaska Airlines
Finnair
Use your Saga Points onboard
Old Aug 23, 2012, 5:08 pm

Does it have to be Alaska operated flight or...?

If I want to use the miles on alaska, doe the flight have to be operated by Alaska or could it be a mix of Alaska and AA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.