Traveling beyond your means on miles and points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2012, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
In Europe the custom is, when the hotel calls a taxi for you, the taxi starts its meter running from the moment the taxi is coming to the hotel... If your taxi driver started his meter when he arrived the hotel, you were already being charged LESS.
I've never seen that before. I'm not sure I've ever actually had a hotel call me a cab before though.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA, SWA, most hotel programs
I must say, I love this thread! It makes me feel so good!

Travel, collecting points, etc. all is a matter of life priorities. When people say they don't have the time or money it's because other things are more important, like new cars, eating out all the time, new flatscreens, the newest phone, etc.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 8:50 pm
In memoriam

This is such an interesting thread. I haven't seen anyone else talk about my approach: I share where I'm going, and then I say "you know, I do this through my hobby, earning travel for free... I'd be happy to show you how to do it, too."

What's amazing to me is how few people ever bother to take me up on my offer. Does anyone else notice this? Maybe they think it's too difficult or something, but I keep saying "it's really easy and I can help you get started" and still no bites.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 9:04 pm

Programs: Several dozen
We are a small niche group. In my company of about 4,000 there are no peers that I am aware of. My SO is the second peer I ever ran into. The first was a fellow cardinal and I have met a few since in the TCC, the Agency and FT. You have to have a certain mindset.

Originally Posted by pnoeric
This is such an interesting thread. I haven't seen anyone else talk about my approach: I share where I'm going, and then I say "you know, I do this through my hobby, earning travel for free... I'd be happy to show you how to do it, too."

What's amazing to me is how few people ever bother to take me up on my offer. Does anyone else notice this? Maybe they think it's too difficult or something, but I keep saying "it's really easy and I can help you get started" and still no bites.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold

Yes, we all do.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:58 pm

I've found people interested, but I find that they really don't want to learn. They will let me give them links for credit cards needed for flights, hotels, and then let me book the whole trip for them. Hubby and I just went on a trip with another couple who let me book award flights to Europe and 10 nights of free hotels plus plan whole itinerary. We had a great trip, but 1st question when we got back was-- what's the next deal or link to get more free airfare. I've given them enough links so they already each have enough miles for 2 more free trips to Europe. I've now told them they need to read the flyertalk link I gave them along time ago. I just don't see people getting excited about this even if they see the fruits. Guess I've just spoiled them -- they think it's too complicated, but easy for me. So I'm finding it's much easier if they're not interested.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

On my recent trip to Easter Island/South America when asked why there? I said a blog made me do it! I got in on the Avios deal and had a great trip using my BA and SPG points -the trip cost less than most would think but I'm constantly having to preface it with "using points explanation"
People are fascinated by it but tell me it sounds too complicated for them. just like anything else if you put the time in, you are rewarded.
I use points to bring trip costs down so that I can spend more on the experiences there (ie -flying back from Milford Sound, private guides, etc).
I find that only dipping your toes in is still rewarding, I don't churn cards or finely tune my online, gas, grocery spend for bonuses but still manage to travel to amazing places in the world with my points
Old Aug 11, 2012, 2:27 pm

I generally don't discuss or mention to others where I'm traveling to, as I am not one to brag. I have friends and colleagues who get so hung up on making sure that everyone knows the hotel they stayed at or the class of service they've flown, but my ego is not that big. If people ask where I'm going, or how my trip was, I'll certainly share, but nobody needs to know that I spent two weeks in Bali in June followed by two weeks in Italy in July.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold

Sometimes I think that people think that it is some type of pyramid scheme or other "Let me tell you how you can go to Europe for free by selling these vitamins, or makeup, or brushes." They believe something else is going on, because how else could you do this?
Old Aug 11, 2012, 4:17 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Alas, those of us with big feet have big toes. Last time I dipped my toe in, a few Pacific islands got wiped out by a tsunami.

Originally Posted by Philatravelgirl
I find that only dipping your toes in is still rewarding, I don't churn cards or finely tune my online, gas, grocery spend for bonuses but still manage to travel to amazing places in the world with my points
Old Aug 11, 2012, 4:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Alas, those of us with big feet have big toes. Last time I dipped my toe in, a few Pacific islands got wiped out by a tsunami.
It also wiped out your PM inbox receiving ability
Old Aug 11, 2012, 4:50 pm

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Bohemiana
I must say, I love this thread! It makes me feel so good!

Travel, collecting points, etc. all is a matter of life priorities. When people say they don't have the time or money it's because other things are more important, like new cars, eating out all the time, new flatscreens, the newest phone, etc.
Quite true. That's the other half of how I can afford to travel so much. Yes, the miles make the flights and some of the hotels free, but the rest of the trip does cost money. I simply don't spend the way some do on those other things in order to make it work financially for me.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 4:55 pm

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
We are a small niche group. In my company of about 4,000 there are no peers that I am aware of. My SO is the second peer I ever ran into. The first was a fellow cardinal and I have met a few since in the TCC, the Agency and FT. You have to have a certain mindset.
You are so right. The only people I can discuss these things with are the ones on Flyertalk and other forums and blogs. Among in-person acquaintances, nobody is really very interested. My sister will follow up on credit card links I give her, and get some free trips that way, but most just say how jealous they are of all the travel I do, and don't really want to learn how to do it themselves.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by srdshelly
You are so right. The only people I can discuss these things with are the ones on Flyertalk and other forums and blogs. Among in-person acquaintances, nobody is really very interested. My sister will follow up on credit card links I give her, and get some free trips that way, but most just say how jealous they are of all the travel I do, and don't really want to learn how to do it themselves.
When people tell me how jealous they are of my vacations, I tell them I travel on points and miles. But most people aren't interestd in doing the work to collect the points and miles. I've sent friends links to the latest cc's, but they don't even bother.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 8:16 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
Why even offer? They already got heckled by your Amway selling brother in law! Nobody is interested in something that is "so easy to do and I'll show you how." You have to let them find it. Stop pushing. All you accomplish by pushing is to convince them that you're involved in a scam or criminal activity. What benefit do you get by pushing anyway unless you're an Amway seller, erm, I mean credit card affiliate. I go my way, and my friends and relatives must go their way. It is their choice to either not travel (some hate travel) or to pay a lot more (some people feel more comfortable paying more). I don't get the money they would save if they traveled cheaper but I would get the blame if something went wrong. Let it rest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.