Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidating Miles

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2012, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Consolidating Miles

I'm a real novice at this - how do I consolidate miles from various programs to use for trans Atlantic travel? My wife and I are planning a trip to Europe in the Fall and would love to utilize miles to help pay for and/or upgrade us on our flight.
Old May 9, 2012, 9:52 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by Hedgepop
I'm a real novice at this - how do I consolidate miles from various programs to use for trans Atlantic travel? My wife and I are planning a trip to Europe in the Fall and would love to utilize miles to help pay for and/or upgrade us on our flight.
Pretty much the only way to use the miles are on the airlines you earned them on. The one exception is if you have CSP points which you can transfer to some airlines. Also some Hotel points can be transferred to certain airlines. Airlines really don't want to help out their competiors. Good luck with your trip and enjoy.
Old May 9, 2012, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Unfortunately, it's also very difficult to upgrade with points. Doing so usually requires buying a coach fare much more expensive than the least costly ones.

Sometimes you can use points from different airlines on the same flight if the carriers are part of the same alliance. For example, if you had enough points on United for one ticket and on USAir for another, you might be able to book two seats on United - or USAir - or Air Canada - or Lufthansa.

Points.com allows you to exchange points between some programs, but the transfer ratios are awful. Don't even think about it.
Old May 9, 2012, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks

I was afraid as much- either they charge you an arm and a leg to switch or an arm and a leg to buy additional - either way you end up minus an arm and leg so they should give you a fuel credit for your weight loss!
Old May 10, 2012, 7:30 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
It might be possible for both you and your wife to gain a significant amount of miles (40,000--50,000) fairly quickly through credit card offers connected to major carriers such as AA, DL or UA. If you have some miles in one or more of these programs to begin with, you might be able to increase your balances to the 60,000 normally needed for a RT trip to Europe. In addition, AA offers such trips for 40,000 in the off-season, which includes some Fall travel.
Old May 10, 2012, 7:43 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Hedgepop
... how do I consolidate miles from various programs to use for trans Atlantic travel?
Welcome to Flyertalk. You will receive much better answers if you list the program balances that you hold, and the route you hope to fly. There are important exceptions to every generalization. For example, many programs allow one-way redemptions for half the miles of a round trip, this makes it possible to use one airline eastbound and the other for the return. Likewise, most airlines belong to one of three alliances and offer travel on any airline in the same alliance. This means you may be able to redeem for two tickets on the same flight through two separate programs.
Old May 10, 2012, 7:50 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Exec, Marriott Silver
Can you share with us your mileage balances?

Many airlines now allow one-way awards so you could book half of your trip on one airline and the other half elsewhere.

BTW, you might want to change the title of your thread to something more descriptive of your request to get a little more traffic.
Old May 10, 2012, 7:57 am
mia

Originally Posted by RewardTraveler
...might want to change the title of your thread to something more descriptive of your request to get a little more traffic.
Only a moderator can change the Title of a thread, but you are correct that a non-descriptive title is a poor idea -and- is discussed in the Guidelines that all new members should read:

http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#q63

Hedgepop should click the triangular icon in the lower left corner of the first post and ask the moderator to change the title.
Old May 10, 2012, 9:31 am
Community Director Emerita

I've just attempted to give a more descriptive title.

Welcome to FlyerTalk, hedgepop.
Old May 10, 2012, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions and guidance for utilizing the forum better.
The assorted milage that I have is as follows:

25,898 miles with Alaska
17,301 with Delta
33,257 with Continental/United
2,644 with American

My wife has:

2,100 with Alaska
19,165 with Continental/United

I have no experience using miles for award flight other than directly with the associated airline. This is all unchartered territory for me...
Old May 10, 2012, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

And thanks SanDiego1K for adding a logical title to my question!
Old May 11, 2012, 6:15 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
the airline sites will have a chart showing the mi needed for an award....

the amount varies by time of the year....aa to europe is 20 k each way starting oct 15.....30 k before...so in sept, y'all need 60k each
Old Jun 3, 2012, 3:26 pm

Newbie: Consolidating Miles

Greetings all

I am a newbie here on these forums. Over the past year, I have signed up for several credit cards, received bonus miles on various airlines (different world alliances). I checked my total points and it looks like I have a combined total of roughly 375,000 through Delta, United, British Airways, Frontier, Southwest, US Airways and I think a few others.

Now (remember, Im a newbie here). how would I be able to consolidate these miles as much as possible? I understand there is a site called Points.com, but I was looking at their transfer rates and I was rather appalled at the transfer rates. Is there a way to transfer the miles through a reward point system like Hilton or some other 3rd party in which I can redeem as much as possible?

thanks in advance and I am looking forward to hearing answers from the experts.

If this thread needs to be moved to another section... thats cool too

--Laura
Old Jun 3, 2012, 3:36 pm

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by jarofjam
Greetings all

I am a newbie here on these forums. Over the past year, I have signed up for several credit cards, received bonus miles on various airlines (different world alliances). I checked my total points and it looks like I have a combined total of roughly 375,000 through Delta, United, British Airways, Frontier, Southwest, US Airways and I think a few others.

Now (remember, Im a newbie here). how would I be able to consolidate these miles as much as possible? I understand there is a site called Points.com, but I was looking at their transfer rates and I was rather appalled at the transfer rates. Is there a way to transfer the miles through a reward point system like Hilton or some other 3rd party in which I can redeem as much as possible?

thanks in advance and I am looking forward to hearing answers from the experts.

If this thread needs to be moved to another section... thats cool too

--Laura
Congratulations on a great start! There really doesn't exist what you're looking for, a way to consolidate miles and points across programs without taking a substantial hit in value. That would defeat the underlying purpose of loyalty programs. One thing you can do is hold onto those points that are flexible, like UR and MR, until needed, then transfer them to the program you want to redeem with, in effect consolidating those points. Also, with those airlines that offer one-way options, you can in effect consolidate miles from two programs into one trip by using one redemption outbound and another inbound.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 4:18 pm
mia

Moderator action

jarofjam's question has been appended to a similar discussion from last month. While the specifics of each situation are different, the general concepts are the same and reading the earlier posts should prove helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.