Basic question: miles vs. paying for ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Basic question: miles vs. paying for ticket

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2018, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by sosafan
One consideration (aside from he miles/$ rate) is if you'll ever use the miles on something else. The more miles you have,
the less they are worth. Can you ever have too many miles? yes.
My theory on biz travel is that it divides sharply between people who get way too much and those who get little to none. Airlines have done their de-vals just in time for Baby Boomers who were saving the miles to use in retirement to get quite a bit less than they thought they were going to get.

Though those of us who were with Continental in the early aughts can remember when they did an "award auction" with things like baseball tickets or travel experiences being put up for bid (with miles). Some reached insane levels.

I've probably earned about 3M miles lifetime and have spent 2.8M of those. Am just glad I spent the 2.8M when I did because they'd buy quite a bit less now.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by pinniped
A legit J seat, Europe to SFO, for $1150 in the summer?!!?

That seems like a pretty easy call regardless of how useful the EQM/RDM are to the other travelers on the itin. Depending on carrier choices, you might actually be able to credit that to AS and have RDM totals that *do* matter in all four accounts.

Was that an elusive fare you're hesitant to share with the world or something that was available pretty readily? (Believe me, I totally understand if you'd rather keep it quiet.)
The $1150 fare was offered by TAP on connections to its new LIS-SFO (lie flat) nonstop that starts this summer. Unfortunately I missed the boat (you snooze you lose!) and the fare is now +$200 but still available for most of the summer. From what I've seen you need to select a connecting flight (mine originates in Italy) or you'll pay +$100.

This fare deal was posted last month on Lucky's OMAAT blog and I think there was also a TAP thread in Premium Fare Deals forum. Sorry for the delay but the good news is that it is still there (albeit a bit higher).
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Wow...that's pretty solid. ^

We're flying home from Europe this summer on TAP, originating in MAD, stopover in LIS for 3 nights. 5 of us including two kids so we just took the coach option. $340 one way with bags. (Going over there using Avios on EI.)

Sounds like TAP is trying to grow brand awareness and market share in the U.S. It's one of those airlines I've barely paid attention to until about a year ago. I've been warned that I'm probably going to fall in love with Lisbon and want to go back to Portugal again to see more of the country. So maybe not my last TAP flight...especially since they offer stopovers in any fare bucket they sell.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:14 am

I usually use miles on either business class or first class redemption from US to South East Asia. I will never pay $5000+ for such trips!
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:42 pm

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by IamHungry
I usually use miles on either business class or first class redemption from US to South East Asia. I will never pay $5000+ for such trips!
I would rather fly economy on that and use my BA avios to redeem more short-haul O/W tickets.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miklcct
I would rather fly economy on that and use my BA avios to redeem more short-haul O/W tickets.
I would rather buy 10 cheapo economy tickets on WN and use my miles and points to fly TATL in business class. YMMV
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I would rather buy 10 cheapo economy tickets on WN and use my miles and points to fly TATL in business class. YMMV
I would love to use Avios to redeem to Aer Lingus J, but I can never find it available. EI Y is pretty easy to find, so I just live with that for the 6 to 7 hour flight.

The fees to redeem Avios on the other TATL options are a deal-breaker for me. At that point, I'd just rather look for a good deal on a paid J fare.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:58 pm

If you book with miles you can cancel (at a much lower fare) or rebook for $150 - which might be a good benefit so fare out. Also look to use miles one-way and the return in cash. Sometimes that can be a better deal.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
I would love to use Avios to redeem to Aer Lingus J, but I can never find it available. EI Y is pretty easy to find, so I just live with that for the 6 to 7 hour flight.

The fees to redeem Avios on the other TATL options are a deal-breaker for me. At that point, I'd just rather look for a good deal on a paid J fare.
Concur about the heinous surcharges. Accordingly I would only use Avios to redeem for TATL C/F class in conjunction with a Chase 241 cert. I have not had much difficulty finding seats (even from West Coast) if reserved very far in advance of travel but it is hit or miss. Otherwise I think using Avios to book partner awards to South America avoids the surcharges, no?

I think my point is that I would not use for cheapo short flights in Europe on a regular basis but certainly would do so as an add-on or stopover to a TATL (on BA or otherwise). Alas it is at least 10 hours to the West Coast, so Y is no longer an option for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.