Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Are travel blogs losing their creativity and going downhill?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are travel blogs losing their creativity and going downhill?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2012, 4:05 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by toddreg
Please note that the Hawaiian card has an annual fee which is not waived the first year. Therefore churning, to me, seems pretty expensive. Just get a SPG card and a Cap 1 or a Sapphire card and load them up.
Not to turn this into a HA card thread but, with a $79 annual fee the HA cards each are getting you miles at ~$.00225/mile, which isn't horrible. May appeal to some and not others - my point was just in response to the above poster that didn't seem to see any value in the card (though I haven't personally read any blogs "up in arms over it")

Besides, since Sapphire and SPG can't be churned - or at least not with any reasonable, reliable, frequency that we know of - at some point those options dry up in terms of sign-up bonuses. I appreciate hearing of opportunities and then deciding if it's right for me...not every opportunity has to be a crazy, earth-shattering mega-bonus to be of value.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:16 pm

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by 2stepsbehind
No, to the vast majority of people, the whole point of miles and points is to fly for free. It is starting to get more than a little annoying that a few people would like to impose their own ideal of travel on everyone else. If a particular blog/set of blogs doesn't speak to you, don't follow them and/or create your own.
I agree. There are all kinds of people on this forum. So far, I've preferred to use miles as cheaply as possible to visit as many places as possible. I already have four free trips booked in the next year, though my work schedule may not allow one of them. I haven't redeemed for anything but economy yet. If I became convinced that the kinds of offers we had in the last couple of years will return and be readily available for a while, I would happily spend miles on premium travel, knowing I could always replace them. But I have no such assurance and would rather get to both Russia and New Zealand in economy than to pick one and travel first class.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 6:13 pm

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, US Air DM, VelocityRewards, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
I do have a problem when the entire blog is filled with blatant advertising, and otherwise content-free.
Why, oh why are you spending time look at places you know are content-free? And then taking even more time to complain about them!
Old Jan 30, 2012, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by burmans
Why, oh why are you spending time look at places you know are content-free? And then taking even more time to complain about them!
I have no idea what you guys are complaining about with regards to ads. I installed ad block a while back and haven't looked at a single banner ad since!
Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:03 pm

I know, all my ads are blocked thanks to ......., but we're talking about the quality of said blogs, and of course ads do contribute to this...
Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:18 pm

Programs: All of em...
Can we get a moderator to move this out of Milesbuzz? This is a community complaining thread. There is no exciting offer or anything buzz worthy being discussed here at all. #Overit
Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by x712xdamx
Can we get a moderator to move this out of Milesbuzz? This is a community complaining thread. There is no exciting offer or anything buzz worthy being discussed here at all. #Overit
I'm now convinced that this really doesn't belong in MilesBuzz!. Hardly any mention of miles at all...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.