Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Which is worth more, Amex MR or Chase UR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2011, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond

Not sure where else to post this....I'm looking at making a purchase over 1k. I can get 4x Amex MR points or 6 extra points/$ UR which I'm assuming makes it 7x UR points....which should I go with?
Old Dec 3, 2011, 2:29 pm

If you are a delta flyer i would say go with MR, but if you are a CO/UA then i would go with UR.Most of the ppl here use both the programs to transfer miles to the various airlines programs.
With the choices right now i like UR better.YMMV
Old Dec 3, 2011, 2:42 pm

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt plat,...
I like UR better. I prefer to travel UA/CO than delta. Plus the UR transfer to hyatt is very difficult to beat.

Basically if you every fly UA/CO or stay at Hyatts then UR should be the better choice.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Delta is my primary carrier, and most of my hotels are IHG or Hilton.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 2:47 pm

if delta is your primary carrier, then MR is a no-brainer, especially with the bonus transfer promotions they run from time to time.

all else equal though, I'd value UR points a bit higher than MR due to hyatt + united + korean air (for travel to asia) availability
Old Dec 3, 2011, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

thanks for all the replies, i think im going to go with UR just since its almost double the amount of points.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by ianturner
Not sure where else to post this....I'm looking at making a purchase over 1k. I can get 4x Amex MR points or 6 extra points/$ UR which I'm assuming makes it 7x UR points....which should I go with?
May I ask what kind of purchase is this?
Old Dec 3, 2011, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA Fan
May I ask what kind of purchase is this?
a treadmill
Old Dec 3, 2011, 4:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
I agree with the above, I've found UR transfers to Hyatt to be among the best redemption options.

I wont be shocked to see UR running transfer bonuses soon as well
Old Dec 3, 2011, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rajuabju
I agree with the above, I've found UR transfers to Hyatt to be among the best redemption options.
Its 1:1 right? I generally hear ppl say that one airline mile (including the Pesos) to be worth more than one hotel point. am I missing something?

Originally Posted by rajuabju
I wont be shocked to see UR running transfer bonuses soon as well
If its a good deal, ppl will be all over it and there won't be a need for Chase to offer a bonus right?
Old Dec 3, 2011, 4:55 pm

Programs: DL FO
If its a good deal, ppl will be all over it and there won't be a need for Chase to offer a bonus right?
Chase just poached an Amex executive and is hell bent on taking Amex's market share. I would be shocked if they don't start having transfer bonuses in the future. That is the major perk that Amex has right now over Chase. If Chase would start running them I would cancel my Amex in a heartbeat and I fly Delta so that should say something.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 5:00 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by TTBHG
Chase just poached an Amex executive and is hell bent on taking Amex's market share. I would be shocked if they don't start having transfer bonuses in the future. That is the major perk that Amex has right now over Chase. If Chase would start running them I would cancel my Amex in a heartbeat and I fly Delta so that should say something.
Although I agree that Chase looks real good right now, I won't be surprised to see Amex respond in a big way. Maybe new partners, maybe bigger bonuses. Who knows? The best of all possible worlds: hold both cards and take advantage of the war between the two.

Right now, I have many more MR points than UR points, so I'm concentrating my spending on the Sapphire Preferred, but I'll happily change that strategy if I see something good come down the line from Amex.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Chase just poached an Amex executive and is hell bent on taking Amex's market share.
I love the hatred betwixt them.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL FO
I love the hatred betwixt them.
Agreed. The only winners in that fight are people like us. Let the huge bonuses continue for many years....
Old Dec 3, 2011, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed. The only winners in that fight are people like us. Let the huge bonuses continue for many years....
Imagine if Chase and Amex merged. I think the FFP landscape in the US will change dramatically.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.